HOLSTERS: Which is best - Leather or Nylon?

This is a discussion on HOLSTERS: Which is best - Leather or Nylon? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not wanting to add another thread here on holsters, however I know there are many different points of concern that one may have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOLSTERS: Which is best - Leather or Nylon?

I am not wanting to add another thread here on holsters, however I know there are many different points of concern that one may have when selecting a holster for Concealed Carry. While I know there are threads of subjectivity to this and every other subject (to some degree), I am curious as to the following:

1.) Which is best when carrying - Leather or Nylon? I know there are comfort issues but what about the wearing on the finish?

2.) Are there any issues to be concerned with as it relates to the materials that holsters are made out of which could present a problem to the finish on the pistol?

For example, the Crossbreed Supertuck holsters are made out of a material (the part that the gun slips into) which appears that it could "scratch or scuff" the gun over time.

3.) Any other thoughts or observations that you may have to share.

Please let me know your thoughts ASAP, as I will be looking tomorrow and hoping to make a decision on the holster of choice rather soon.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts here.

Nylon is a lousy holster material for IWB use. Without a thumb strap, the retention is really minimal.

Do you really think the holster makers would sell so many Kydex holsters if they damaged firearms?

The inside of a Kydex holster is smooth and has no more effect on a firearm's finish than a tight leather holster. That said, any holster material will scuff a finish over time - like years.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

What kind of shoes do you like? Nylon or leather?
    Your gun has similar tastes...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only nylon holster I have is one of those thigh rigs I've had since working out in the brush. I honestly don't know why I keep it, but it's here in my drawer full of holsters....everything else gets used on a regular basis. If you're going to carry a firearm (pistol) for self defense, the least of your worries should be whether kydex or leather will be having long term effects on your chosen pistol. Look at it in this way...your pistol is a tool and it's purpose is as a tool....it's designed to save your life no matter what it looks like. Looks don't have much to do with function. You alone have to decide which is more important. Looks, or function. If you want a pistol to look good, then don't put it in a holster.

I agree with the other posters. It's a service firearm, not a show firearm. You're going to have wear sooner or later depending on the finish of the slide. I've used various kydex holsters for over a decade and the finish of my guns is still in great shape (Glock, Kahr, Seecamp, etc.).

I like leather. I have a bunch of leather holsters. Will be getting more. I have one Kydex holster that I only use when I have to tuck in my shirt tail. I have one nice Bianchi military flap nylon holster and a Uncle Mikes nylon holster for just about every gun I own. In my opinion if I had a shiney blued gun, that I did not carry and wanted to protect the finish I would go with the el cheapo nylon.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks everyone for your replies thus far.

Any good dual (IWB and OWB) style holsters that anyone has experience with, per se'?

+1 what "Major" said. The only nylon holster I'd have is the Nypad type. I love those! My first choice is Kydex, then leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    +1 what "Major" said. The only nylon holster I'd have is the Nypad type. I love those! My first choice is Kydex, then leather.
    Thanks.

I am leaning more towards a OWB style at this point - got any suggestions? I sorta like the "paddle" holster concept, just not sure which one to land.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If its a big gun maybe look at some pancake holsters.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    If its a big gun maybe look at some pancake holsters.
    XD40SC - have any suggestions in the pancake holster line?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    XD40SC - have any suggestions in the pancake holster line?
    Eh. maybe check Galco or see if Stoner holsters has something for you. In all honesty a sub compact would be small and light enough for a simple clip or paddle holster.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Eh. maybe check Galco or see if Stoner holsters has something for you. In all honesty a sub compact would be small and light enough for a simple clip or paddle holster.
    I've seen some of the Uncle Mike's pancake holsters online which are rather inexpensive, but just not sure without actually seeing them in person.

I am leaning more towards a OWB style at this point - got any suggestions? I sorta like the "paddle" holster concept, just not sure which one to land.
    I LOVE Kydex paddles. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good one. I really like the "click-click" snap of holstering/drawing. Once the trigger guard is clear of the grip, there's no friction whatsoever. Check Fobus and Uncle Mikes. Going up the line, look at Blade Tech. These are holsters I have experience with. I can't advise about others.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I LOVE Kydex paddles. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good one. I really like the "click-click" snap of holstering/drawing. Once the trigger guard is clear of the grip, there's no friction whatsoever. Check Fobus and Uncle Mikes. Going up the line, look at Blade Tech. These are holsters I have experience with. I can't advise about others.
    What would be your #1 recommendation on the paddles, when considering quality, price, etc.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links