Why is this not an AOW?

Why is this not an AOW?

This is a discussion on Why is this not an AOW? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Or maybe it is? Anyone? Gun Holsters and Gun Magazines by Triple K :: #190 Thinline Holster Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is this not an AOW?

It looks like it's designed to stay in the pocket, not to be attached to the gun for firing. I just wonder how you're supposed to draw it, looks like you'd have to drag it out by the trigger!

Actually I rememeber a discussion about this very thing some threads ago. I think that the consensus was that it is an AOW.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Simple: It's not a weapon, it's a holster.

Regards,
    Jim

The Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms (ATF) has decided that the Wallet Holsters which allow the gun to be fired while it is still in the holster, are now considered "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) The description of AOW is a device that is designed to not look like a firearm and yet fires a bullet. So the concept is that because it looks like a wallet and mugger may percieve it as a wallet as you are shooting him, the ATF thinks they should demand a tax on it. The tip up Berettas, the Seecamp, several other pistols, have holsters specifically designed for them.
    The holster is designed for the gun to remain in it and look like a wallet as you pull it out,then give the BG his money he's demanding in ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    So if you put your gun in your jacket pocket without a holster, your jacket is an AOW?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I don't see it as a shoot through, no way to grip, and no way to eject spent round. No idea how to draw without finger on trigger.

My LWS 32 is in a pocketholsters.com wallet that works great, good conceal and draw.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

So if someone has gun in a wallet holster from which the gun can be fired without removing, they are required to pay a $200.00 fee and $5.00 transfer to own it ? because it's considered a AOW

los
    The only foreseeable problem with firing a weapon while it's in the subject holster, is that you'll only get one shot,.. because after the discharge, you'll most likely have a jammed weapon.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Moderator
    So if someone has gun in a wallet holster from which the gun can be fired without removing, they are required to pay a $200.00 fee and $5.00 transfer to own it ? because it's considered a AOW
    Negative.

The fee for AOW is $5.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I vote---is

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    So if you put your gun in your jacket pocket without a holster, your jacket is an AOW?
    OMG!!! My PANTS are an AOW!

Sorry, I underestimated the absurdity we should expect from those we hired to protect & defend the Constitution. Never should have made that mistake, and I won't do it again!

Regards,
    Jim

In my local shop they have a leather wallet holster with a finger hole, a trigger hole, an ejection port hole, and a barrel tip hole. It is designed to hold an LCP and be shot from the rig. I asked about it in the case and the shop owner had his personal one in his back pocket and showed me his. I pert near bought the LCP and holster on the spot. Got the Ruger SP101 instead. Still might have to go back and get it...later in the summer.
    Last edited by BugDude; March 24th, 2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: splg
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    That thing doesn't appear to be designed to fire with the gun in it.

And despite the common belief, this thing is not an NFA item.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    That thing doesn't appear to be designed to fire with the gun in it.

And despite the common belief, this thing is not an NFA item.
    We came up against this problem a few years ago at the gunshop where I used to work. We bought a bunch of surplus guns from a state agency and it included a few High Standard .22mag derringers in wallet holsters. We had a copy of the letter from the ATF eventually stating that they were AOWs when assembled. The above is indeed not an AOW since the gun is not disguised as a firearm. The HS derringers were since all therre was to them was a fold of leather with a muzzle hole and a trigger finger hole. As for the original post, I say pocket holster shaped like a wallet, unsafe looking but probably not under the NFA.

And I would not be surprised to see The Man classify your jacket as an AOW if asked for a ruling on it. Remember the "shoelace is a machinegun" decision?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links