Holster for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Holster for Open Carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not a debate on open carry... Is it ok to open carry (obviously, in states like NM that permit such) with a plain ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for Open Carry?

Holster for Open Carry?

This is not a debate on open carry...

Is it ok to open carry (obviously, in states like NM that permit such) with a plain old slide holster, no thumb break or strap? (My holster pictured here:

I heard someone talking about the need to have a thumb break or strap if one was to open carry, but wasn't sure if that was necesary if one's tactical awareness was where it was supposed to be.

Thoughts? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I would go with something a little bigger just so the muzzle isn't exposed since it will be open carry less dirt etc ..

Something like this Is the kind of holster i would look for

Also something that for sure has belt loops and no clips to hold it in place beyond that i cant help ya only time i open carry here is deer season and the big 500 doesn't quite fit for EDC

Assistant Administrator
    My open carry is essentially just my CCW about house and office - so same rig - K&D OWB Eagle Defender. Were I to go open carry out and about then same too.

Open carry re hunting is a bit different and I have a large rig specially for carrying either SRH or BFR etc.

Only other option I have tho rarely use now is this semi cowboy type rig, made by me and much help from leatherwork buddy nearly a quarter century ago! It is for an N frame and used to have my M27 5" in it - these days it'd be M28 4". Useful for ''out in the woods''.

I just noticed, the holster on the belt is actually the cross-draw version, and the loose one is the normal strong side. Useful to have both options.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The only time i open carry is (as mandated by the state) is in a vehicle or on my motorcycle.
    i must admit i do LOVE the look on peoples faces when i roll up beside them at a light on my MC with my 1911 strapped on openly.
    priceless.. jeans, wife-beater t-shirt, shaved head on a loud cruiser.
    may hafta switch to my western rig the next time i do a "MC gun-run" just for an extra highlight.

i don't normally open carry other than that due to the loss of the "tactical advantage".
    here in ohio, since the law is still relatively new, i don't know how much people are aware of the fact that guns may be all around them & they just don't know it.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

VIP Member
    I'm not aware of any state that regulates the type of holster or rig you can use for open carry. So your rig is fine. I have used that slide for my Browning HiPower for concealed and open carry. Most of the time my open carry rig is just my exposed concealed carry rig. Bud has a good point. Regular cleaning is required because the gun does collect dust everywhere. In Virginia you cannot concealed carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but you can open carry. Also Virginia is an open carry state, with a few exceptions noted, so you can open carry within the law.

I typically open carry on my property, while hunting and when I happen to have been open carrying and don't want to scare up a cover garmet to grab something at the grocery or Stop n Rob. Oh and while working at the local gun emporium, depending on the season and how I'm dressing that day. The area of VA I lived in was pretty ok for the most part, although as the city migrates westward it is changing.

-Scott-

Quote Originally Posted by rmkwebdesign
    This is not a debate on open carry
    ok, so i wont bother with trying to convince you otherwise by telling you that it makes you vulnerable.......but ill mention that i had a similar holster to the one you pictured. since your legs are always moving, the friction will over a short time strip the blueing right off your handgun. i ruined the finish on a fine handgun by wearing it in that holster. stainless would probably fare better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I would go with something a little bigger just so the muzzle isn't exposed since it will be open carry less dirt etc ..
    Good comment...never thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    i don't normally open carry other than that due to the loss of the "tactical advantage".
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    ok, so i wont bother with trying to convince you otherwise by telling you that it makes you vulnerable....
    I always enjoy reading a good concealed-vs.-open carry debate. Some say carrying concealed is a tactical disadvantage because you do not have as ready access to your weapon as you would if it was open...others, that open carry puts one at a tactical disadvantage because one loses the element of surprise. Understood...

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    the friction will over a short time strip the blueing right off your handgun. i ruined the finish on a fine handgun by wearing it in that holster.
    Thank you for this reminder, and you are QUITE correct. It either wears the bluing on the gun or it wears the pants if you're wearing nice dress slacks. Jeans are ok, but it takes its toll on suit pants.

Maybe time for a new holster...

I would carry something "viscious and stabby", off-side, to assist in close-in retention. Probably something edge-in, and fixed, utilized hammer-fist, so that if the agressor stayed close enough to keep trying for your weapon, it would prove fatal, and not require you "extend" to strike. Just my $.02...

Edit to add: I'm not a fan of the "Open" concept, as it makes you a "kill-first" in every serious scenario, and it really does mandate some mechanical retention assistance, to my thinking- which inherently neutralizes the Ease-of-Access advantage.

i prefer this one it has level one retention and is really fast. it also comes with both belt and paddle attachement and its the best paddle ive ever come across. and at 40 bucks you cant beat it. also comes in flat black and tan or OD

for all your holster needs check out http://www.holsterswap.com
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

Indy...What brand is your holster ?
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    That last picture looks like the Blackhawk CQB Serpa holster. I have one for my Glock, but haven't worn it yet.

Looks like a CQB Serpa to me, too. A girl at work got one for her G19 and loves it. Pretty impressive design.
    When I open carry, it's usually a big revolver of some type - no safety straps, but one does have an adjustable tension welt, it's a Milt Sparks for my S&W N-frame. I like it because the gun's secure - and it has a leather shield over the hammer. Open carry means I usually will manage to stick the gun's hammer right into my arm somehow...

I really like my Galco Fletch II holster. Its semi-dressy looking, secures the pistol really well, and is molded to fit your particular firearm. Mine is not the high-ride version, as it tends to poke you in the ribs if you sit down. They come in black, natural brown, or Havana brown. I personally like the havana color because it takes a good shine and looks dressier.

http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/gal-fl.jpg

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the Kramer belt scabbards myself. Though when I wear mine with a G30 in it, I usually have a cover garment on.

it is a blackhawk serpa and i hound it to be alot faster than a say a blade tech or simial design because once that tab is depressed there is no resistance. i know a lot of holsters with out some kind of retention hold the holster in by friction. i dont know about you guys but im fairily skinny so when i grab my pistol and try to yank it out of one of those my pants tend to come up too... kinda gives me a steve erkel
    it does take some practice to get used too but no more than any new holster.
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links