Defensive Carry banner

Holster for Open Carry?

4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  coltcarrier 
#1 ·
This is not a debate on open carry...

Is it ok to open carry (obviously, in states like NM that permit such) with a plain old slide holster, no thumb break or strap? (My holster pictured here:

I heard someone talking about the need to have a thumb break or strap if one was to open carry, but wasn't sure if that was necesary if one's tactical awareness was where it was supposed to be.

Thoughts? Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would go with something a little bigger just so the muzzle isn't exposed since it will be open carry less dirt etc ..

Something like this
Is the kind of holster i would look for

Also something that for sure has belt loops and no clips to hold it in place beyond that i cant help ya only time i open carry here is deer season and the big 500 doesn't quite fit for EDC

#3 ·
My open carry is essentially just my CCW about house and office - so same rig - K&D OWB Eagle Defender. Were I to go open carry out and about then same too.

Open carry re hunting is a bit different and I have a large rig specially for carrying either SRH or BFR etc.

Only other option I have tho rarely use now is this semi cowboy type rig, made by me and much help from leatherwork buddy nearly a quarter century ago! It is for an N frame and used to have my M27 5" in it - these days it'd be M28 4". Useful for ''out in the woods''.

I just noticed, the holster on the belt is actually the cross-draw version, and the loose one is the normal strong side. Useful to have both options.

#4 ·
The only time i open carry is (as mandated by the state) is in a vehicle or on my motorcycle.
i must admit i do LOVE the look on peoples faces when i roll up beside them at a light on my MC with my 1911 strapped on openly.
priceless.. jeans, wife-beater t-shirt, shaved head on a loud cruiser.
may hafta switch to my western rig the next time i do a "MC gun-run" just for an extra highlight.

i don't normally open carry other than that due to the loss of the "tactical advantage".
here in ohio, since the law is still relatively new, i don't know how much people are aware of the fact that guns may be all around them & they just don't know it.

#5 ·
I'm not aware of any state that regulates the type of holster or rig you can use for open carry. So your rig is fine. I have used that slide for my Browning HiPower for concealed and open carry. Most of the time my open carry rig is just my exposed concealed carry rig. Bud has a good point. Regular cleaning is required because the gun does collect dust everywhere. In Virginia you cannot concealed carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but you can open carry. Also Virginia is an open carry state, with a few exceptions noted, so you can open carry within the law.

I typically open carry on my property, while hunting and when I happen to have been open carrying and don't want to scare up a cover garmet to grab something at the grocery or Stop n Rob. Oh and while working at the local gun emporium, depending on the season and how I'm dressing that day. The area of VA I lived in was pretty ok for the most part, although as the city migrates westward it is changing.

-Scott-

#6 ·
rmkwebdesign said:
This is not a debate on open carry
ok, so i wont bother with trying to convince you otherwise by telling you that it makes you vulnerable.......but ill mention that i had a similar holster to the one you pictured. since your legs are always moving, the friction will over a short time strip the blueing right off your handgun. i ruined the finish on a fine handgun by wearing it in that holster. stainless would probably fare better.

#7 ·
Bud White said:
I would go with something a little bigger just so the muzzle isn't exposed since it will be open carry less dirt etc ..
Good comment...never thought about that.

SOLOLUCKY said:
i don't normally open carry other than that due to the loss of the "tactical advantage".
NaturalSelection said:
ok, so i wont bother with trying to convince you otherwise by telling you that it makes you vulnerable....
I always enjoy reading a good concealed-vs.-open carry debate. Some say carrying concealed is a tactical disadvantage because you do not have as ready access to your weapon as you would if it was open...others, that open carry puts one at a tactical disadvantage because one loses the element of surprise. Understood...

NaturalSelection said:
the friction will over a short time strip the blueing right off your handgun. i ruined the finish on a fine handgun by wearing it in that holster.
Thank you for this reminder, and you are QUITE correct. It either wears the bluing on the gun or it wears the pants if you're wearing nice dress slacks. Jeans are ok, but it takes its toll on suit pants.

Maybe time for a new holster...

#8 ·
I would carry something "viscious and stabby", off-side, to assist in close-in retention. Probably something edge-in, and fixed, utilized hammer-fist, so that if the agressor stayed close enough to keep trying for your weapon, it would prove fatal, and not require you "extend" to strike. Just my $.02...

Edit to add: I'm not a fan of the "Open" concept, as it makes you a "kill-first" in every serious scenario, and it really does mandate some mechanical retention assistance, to my thinking- which inherently neutralizes the Ease-of-Access advantage.

#9 ·
i prefer this one it has level one retention and is really fast. it also comes with both belt and paddle attachement and its the best paddle ive ever come across. and at 40 bucks you cant beat it.
also comes in flat black and tan or OD

for all your holster needs check out http://www.holsterswap.com

#12 ·
Looks like a CQB Serpa to me, too. A girl at work got one for her G19 and loves it. Pretty impressive design.
When I open carry, it's usually a big revolver of some type - no safety straps, but one does have an adjustable tension welt, it's a Milt Sparks for my S&W N-frame. I like it because the gun's secure - and it has a leather shield over the hammer. Open carry means I usually will manage to stick the gun's hammer right into my arm somehow...

#13 ·
I really like my Galco Fletch II holster. Its semi-dressy looking, secures the pistol really well, and is molded to fit your particular firearm. Mine is not the high-ride version, as it tends to poke you in the ribs if you sit down. They come in black, natural brown, or Havana brown. I personally like the havana color because it takes a good shine and looks dressier.

http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/gal-fl.jpg

#15 ·
it is a blackhawk serpa and i hound it to be alot faster than a say a blade tech or simial design because once that tab is depressed there is no resistance. i know a lot of holsters with out some kind of retention hold the holster in by friction. i dont know about you guys but im fairily skinny so when i grab my pistol and try to yank it out of one of those my pants tend to come up too... kinda gives me a steve erkel
it does take some practice to get used too but no more than any new holster.

#16 ·
CQC Serpa

I have to pitch in here and throw my vote to blackhawk. I picked one up a while back and love it. I don't open carry often, but having the second level of retention and the speed of draw in a package as inexpensive and flexable as this, you just have to go for it. You can pick them up at shows around here for ~$40. I think I paid ~$50 at a shop in town. It is light, doesn't move around and comes with just about everything (paddle, belt, belt width shims, holster, and for the range is even compatable with the drop leg kit for a tactical carry). I carry a 5" 1911 without any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.