Stingray Holster, feed back

This is a discussion on Stingray Holster, feed back within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this forum and a hobby holster maker. I make about 2-3 per week after work. Real Estate full time, yes don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stingray Holster, feed back

Stingray Holster, feed back

I am new to this forum and a hobby holster maker. I make about 2-3 per week after work. Real Estate full time, yes don't remind my why I have free time to make holsters! :o)

I wanted to get feed back on the style of these two stingrays and the Elephant skeleton belt slider. I do carving too but just love the exotics. Stingray and Elephant are the most durable and simply beautiful. I am a particular fan of the 1911 and the Smith J frame. Ok, I have other favorites too, H&K P7M13, Sig 226 and Smith model 41. How important is it to most to carry something "pretty" and at what price point do you say it's simply not worth it? I have made many for friends and family but am considering selling some. Likes, dislikes, give it to me straight, at 45 I can take it!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Nice work and beautiful leather.

Beautiful rigs, very nice.

Just my personal opinion. I don't care for full coverage exotics. They seem to look better when used as trim.
    I make holsters as a retirement business. Price resistance seems to come in around $75. I sell all I can make with prices ranging from a low of $32 for plain pocket holsters to $75 for IWB and OWB with exotic trim. Generally shark or elephant. YMMV

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    looks good bud!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Thanks for the kind words. I would sell the elephant sliders for $75.

Sadly the high quality Stingray pelts with the large Pearl (white oval in the middle) run about $65 for the 10 inch hide alone! Yikes, I know. I guess that's why Galco can justify $380 for one of their stingray holsters. I'd sell my stingray's for $125 I guess. The hide is incredible and was originally used as Japanese sword handles. It won't burn, break or fray. The bead like texture is actually hard like glass polished calcium deposits. Most hides are imported from Thailand. It is not easy to stitch but once completed is definitely one of a kind. Keep the comments coming!

Quote Originally Posted by mmirob View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I would sell the elephant sliders for $75.

Sadly the high quality Stingray pelts with the large Pearl (white oval in the middle) run about $65 for the 10 inch hide alone! Yikes, I know. I guess that's why Galco can justify $380 for one of their stingray holsters. I'd sell my stingray's for $125 I guess. The hide is incredible and was originally used as Japanese sword handles. It won't burn, break or fray. The bead like texture is actually hard like glass polished calcium deposits. Most hides are imported from Thailand. It is not easy to stitch but once completed is definitely one of a kind. Keep the comments coming!
    You will probably meet some price resistance at $75 for the slider. For full coverage elephant or shark around $48 might be more reasonable. The stingray is a pain to work with. If you are paying $65 for 10in ray pelts you seriously need another supplier. With any exotics price can vary significantly. Particularly with elephant and shark. By the way what are you using as a base leather to bond the exotics to?

Looks good. One thing I found is stingray around the slots will beat up a customers belt due to the sharp edges of the stingray.

I see blue guns in your future
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I must start with, great job! They look very nice.
    Since you asked for constructive criticism, there are two things that I would change: 1. I would want two sets of stitching, one closer in near the pistol and one around the outer edge. 2. (Regarding the black stingray holster) I like to have a good amount of clearance around the pistol's handle so that I can get a proper grip on it while drawing. Something like this http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Suss/23456.jpg.
    Also, $125 for full coverage stingray is a great price!
    Bleeding-heart reporter: Do you feel that violence begets violence?
    Jeff Cooper: It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

ntg
    First, welcome to DC.

I like their look a lot...it'd be nice to see in person and own even more. Kudos to you.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

They look very nice. The funny think is I prefer the look of the stingray without the "pearl". Like the sleek monotone look. A maker told me that would actually lower the price of my end product. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Great comments! Thanks so much. Yeah, I'd sell the sliders for $50 if someone made me an offer! ;o)

I agree NYCMedic, on the stingray comment. I will cut lower on the holster grip side on my next one. No problem getting the firearm out on this one but understand the value in a firm grip extraction. Thx.

As far as belt wear, I sand and finish those critical "touching" edges, but it is stingray. I think I will take the advice on double stitching a second row on some holster types too. I use 277 size nylon thread and you will cut your finger off before you break it with your hands but might look more robust for some people. Trust me, you can't tear apart glued and 277 lockstitched leather.

I use herman oak 7/8 oz leather underneath the exotics. Some times our local Tandy dealer has a deal too on veg tanned 7/8oz.

Denster, where can I buy 10inch quality stingray for less? I'd love to find it cheaper!

Anyone want to donate a blue gun for my cause? Ship me a blue gun and $5 shipping of the type of holster you want and I'll make a leather pankake holster for you for FREE! Serious!

Amazing work

Give Henry at ostrichmarket.com a call he has small rays 11" and under for 14 to 18 bucks. Larger are available also.
    Might also check with rojeleather they are a good source. They also have great veg tanned shark at great prices. That's just a couple.

Very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links