How do you wear your crossbreed?

This is a discussion on How do you wear your crossbreed? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CB ST and a Wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt with the Ruger SR9c as the gun. Ok I guess its a simple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you wear your crossbreed?

How do you wear your crossbreed?

I have a CB ST and a Wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt with the Ruger SR9c as the gun.

Ok I guess its a simple enough question. I got my Crossbreed ST last week ive worn it for about 3 days total "breaking it in" but what im trying to do is find the "sweet spot" for it as far as what holes/adjustments are best for a combo of concealment and comfort.. Im having a little trouble to be honest getting it "just right". It seems to dig in the top of my leg when I sit(the bottom of the leather) it does not hurt but it does not feel comfortable either...and with it stock as I got it it seemed to ride a bit high for me and was not as concealable because the shirt wanted to get caught up on the top of the leather where the grip is so id constantly have to pull my shirt down off the leather... And when I tried to move it down the leather got low enough it would dig into my leg when sitting and the grip on the Ruger SR9c would be hard to get at. so whats your magic combo for this holster with a untucked t shirt for a combo of comfort and concealbility.

oh and BTW get the combat cut if you have a gun with a shorter compact/subcompact grip..I do find it a tad hard to get a good grip on the grip with the leather in the way..I dont see any way it could be less comfortable with the combat cut as that part of the gun or leather does not really "touch" my body except if im leaning or what ever. I was actually thinking of doing my own "combat cut and some trimming to make it more comfortable but I dont want to destroy the holster....has anyone successfully modified theirs???? can I cut it with something like a razor/exacto blade to make it more comfortable??? or would I ruin it??

The quality and construction is top notch though so I wont be returning it I got what I paid for im just trying to make it comfortable.

2. Remove Ads

I carry my G31 at 3:00, with the rearward clip in the third hole, foreward clip in the second (from the top). It provides a good amount of comfort and ease of draw, but isn't as concealable as some positions I've tried (which were very uncomfortable).

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    I was actually thinking of doing my own "combat cut and some trimming to make it more comfortable but I dont want to destroy the holster....has anyone successfully modified theirs???? can I cut it with something like a razor/exacto blade to make it more comfortable??? or would I ruin it??
    I used aviation snips to cut my Crossbreed with no problem. I griped the pistol inside the holster and marked a cutting line above the thumb. I used the Dremel with a drum sander to clear the mag release on the slim chance the leather could inadvertently drop the mag.

I have a PT140/MiniTuck combo. I am 5'8" and weigh 200 pounds.

I wear my MT at 3:30 with both clips in the factory-set bottom holes.

Shadow: I like those stocks.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Nice work on the holster.
    Amen on the grips, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chyron View Post
    I carry my G31 at 3:00, with the rearward clip in the third hole, foreward clip in the second (from the top). It provides a good amount of comfort and ease of draw, but isn't as concealable as some positions I've tried (which were very uncomfortable).
    yup, thats what im running into...it seems either its very concealable with discomfort OR not as concelable with a lot more comfort :) . I cant seem to hit that sweet spot. Glad to see you can cut it though like I said if I knew id have gotten the combat cut I cant imagine its gonna lose and comfort.

I wear my MiniTuck with Kahr PM9 (with Crimson Trace) at 4:30. I definitely forget it's there.

oh and I wear between 3-4:00 most of the time I guess I didnt say that.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I wear my MiniTuck with Kahr PM9 (with Crimson Trace) at 4:30. I definitely forget it's there.
    My MiniTuck for the PPS just came in the mail today. I prefer to carry at the 4:30 position and have found it to be pretty comfortable for me so far.

I guess what I meant was the position of the clips and cant to it..did you stick with the way it came out of the box or did you move it around to different holes to get more comfort.

I've messed with mine over the last several months and have finally settled on raising the front clip a couple holes higher on the holster, leaving the back clip where it was when I got it. The higher you raise that front clip, the more forward cant - which is not only good for draw, but also helps with printing.

And I did my own "combat cut". The cowhide black is much easier to cut than the horsehide natural. Just marked it, trimmed it with a boxcutter or utility knife, sanded the trimmed edges, and then stained the raw edges with black shoe stain. Worked fine.

I was out of town last Friday thru Monday and wore my Glock 30 the whole time. Friday and Monday were spent in the car. No discomfort. And while the G30 is classed as a "sub-compact", fully loaded, it's still a pretty hefty piece of equipment to carry around.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post
    I've messed with mine over the last several months and have finally settled on raising the front clip a couple holes higher on the holster, leaving the back clip where it was when I got it. The higher you raise that front clip, the more forward cant - which is not only good for draw, but also helps with printing.

And I did my own "combat cut". The cowhide black is much easier to cut than the horsehide natural. Just marked it, trimmed it with a boxcutter or utility knife, sanded the trimmed edges, and then stained the raw edges with black shoe stain. Worked fine.

I was out of town last Friday thru Monday and wore my Glock 30 the whole time. Friday and Monday were spent in the car. No discomfort. And while the G30 is classed as a "sub-compact", fully loaded, it's still a pretty hefty piece of equipment to carry around.

al
    this is what I tried and what seems to be happening is when I cant it more forward I get as you said better concealability but since the front sits deeper the corner of the leather near where the bottom most fromt hole os ends up digging into my leg/thigh/hip area when im sitting or driving..its all good when im standing. it may just need more breaking in I dont know.

and I know what ya mean about glocks. I traded a Glock 23 in on my current CC gun the Ruger SR9c I had that in a light weight kydex holster(RM Lowrider) that was perfect..they just didnt make it in SR9 yet :(

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I've got some bony hips; 3:30 ended up being my sweet spot with the Supertuck.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I've got some bony hips; 3:30 ended up being my sweet spot with the Supertuck.
    yup im getting that impression as well..now im just trying to get it set at the right depth for the adjustment clips. IF i get it right I may honestly think about lopping off the bottom 2 holse on the front side adjustment as thats really the only part that seems to dig into my leg..probably wont lop it off but im thinking about it lol.

I found that the sweet spot for me is around 4:30. the gun i carry fits perfectly with the natural contours of my back and the holster and gun do not move. when i sit it does not get in my way at all. the only downside that i have is sitting on a hard back chair if i plop down i go "thunk."

that said i was in a taser class today to get my taser certification. i have been around the instructor on and off for 9 weeks. before he shot me with the taser (just as part of the class) he came up and felt my back pockets to see if i had anything in them so that he would know to not shoot there. even after that he missed hitting my holster with one of the prongs by less than .5 in. when i mentioned that to him he said that he did not realize that i had a holster on (i did not have the gun at the time just cause we did not want any live guns while we were shooting at each other with tasers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links