Kydex

Kydex

This is a discussion on Kydex within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember about 2 years ago there was a thread about someone making a kydex holster at home step by step. I searched but can't ...

Thread: Kydex

Kydex

I remember about 2 years ago there was a thread about someone making a kydex holster at home step by step. I searched but can't find it, can the mods help me out?

Sponsor

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    When you order your Kydex, order more than you think you'll use. You will find it is fun to play with and will want to do more projects.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

cj
    Para Cord Secrets - Shaping KYDEX sheet Tips, Tricks, Hints, Articles and Projects has some good resources as well, going into more detail about the equipment and walking through various projects.

If you're in a big city, odds are you can call local plastics suppliers from the Yellow Pages and pick up sheets, half sheets, or if you're really lucky, their scraps from cuts. They're usually not completely delighted to handle such small orders, but if you imply that you're testing various thicknesses or some such for possible future larger purchases, they're usually happier to help.

VIP Member
    Kydex comes in different colors and thicknesses. I saw a 9"x12" .028" thick sheet on Ebay for $4.95. That is too thin. Here is a link for what is used for holsters, knife sheaths, mag holders, etc.
    It is .125 (1./8") thick. for what you need: http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index....main.htm~smain or http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index....main.htm~smain (Tactical Black) Have fun.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

that is some cool info

Thx for all the info... very useful thread..
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Thanks a lot everyone. This should be fun.

There is a knife sheath video on you tube (same process)
    I watch a guy at the gun show make them in 5 minutes and charge 50-$70 a holster?
    There is a knife making supply website that has everything you need (press,heat gun , rivits , Kydex in 7 colors.
    Initial investment would be high, but if you started doing it regularly I could see where you would have your ROI back quick.
    Good luck!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I watch a guy at the gun show make them in 5 minutes and charge 50-$70 a holster?
    There is a knife making supply website that has everything you need (press,heat gun , rivits , Kydex in 7 colors.
    Initial investment would be high, but if you started doing it regularly I could see where you would have your ROI back quick.
    Good luck!
    I have never worked with Kydex but I would imagine you could probably make many of the tools needed in your basement. I once made an oven for working with Plexiglases. It was made from a metal garbage can turned sideways. Add a flat metal surface inside and some heat lamps above, close the lid, and you have an oven hot enough to soften most plastics without burning or melting.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Good luck!
    As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links