Question about Milt Sparks shark trim

This is a discussion on Question about Milt Sparks shark trim within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a VMII cordovan/shark and a matching shark mag holder for my P239 on order. The question I have is about the color of ...

Thread: Question about Milt Sparks shark trim

I have a VMII cordovan/shark and a matching shark mag holder for my P239 on order. The question I have is about the color of the shark skin.

I have seen pictures of some that have black shark over the cordovan, and I have seen some that the shark is actually cordovan in color, maybe just a little darker due to the texture but definitely not black.

How are these being sent out? Any of you have experience with this or pictures you can post?
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

I ordered a cordovan VM2 with shark a while back and I asked if I could get the trim in black. He told me that you get whatever they have at the time. My shark is like a deep cordovan now. I posted a pic of mine on this forum a while back, you can look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by gogamecocks View Post
    I ordered a cordovan VM2 with shark a while back and I asked if I could get the trim in black. He told me that you get whatever they have at the time.

That doesn't sound like the Milt Sparks I have heard so much about...

I looked at the pictures you posted and It's kind of hard to tell the color. I can see that it's not quite black. I would really like mine with cordovan shark and not black, especially since the mag holder is shark too, and the loops and mag holder would match my cordovan belt.

Anyone else chime in?
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Forget it, it's unlikely you'll get what you want. I tried to order a cordovan holster and wanted cordovan/brown shark on it and was told the same thing as gogamecocks was, that they had no control over what they might have at the time but that they had black more often and therefore couldn't promise me the cordovan. I'm surprised he couldn't get black, but I guess it's just his bad luck.

As I recall, I was told that another factor is that they get shark hides in all kinds of natural colors and they take dyes differently, often turning very dark very quickly. So a skin meant to be cordovan could end up looking almost black anyway. Actually, I don't remember if the guy at Sparks told me this or another maker, but I guess it holds true anyway. Heck, I recently got a horsehide VM2 in cordovan which is practically black, and the only reason I got it was because I already had a black one and wanted a cordovan to match my cordovan belt. If I had known it would be so dark I would have saved my money and just used the black one all the time, but I guess them's the breaks.

Even though Milt Sparks does an outstanding job on most aspects of their business, and are deservedly famous for their customer service, I guess this is one area where they have limitations beyond their control.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Wow... I would have thought with all the detailed info on the Sparks site there would have been some mention of the issues with shark. I shot Tony Kanaley and email, I'll post back with results.

Anybody got pics?
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Here is the response I got from Tony at Sparks. I guess this explains it...

Mark,

On a cordovan holster, the shark will either be a really dark cordovan (almost black) or black. We dip dye all our cordovan and black holsters and even if we used light colored shark trim, the shark absorbs dye like a sponge and always comes up darker than the cordovan background it is attached to. Black of course is always black, but when black sharkskin is dipped in a cordovan dye, it sometimes displays a slight cordovan hue.

If you’re worried whether the mag case and holster will match in color, worry not. As long as we are filling an order of several items at the same time, we can match the items.

T
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Sponsored Links