First concealed weapons Holster

This is a discussion on First concealed weapons Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a beginner, so be kind I was going to purchase a firearm this year but was kindly gifted a Taurus 9mm PT 111 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First concealed weapons Holster

First concealed weapons Holster

I am a beginner, so be kind

I was going to purchase a firearm this year but was kindly gifted a Taurus 9mm PT 111 Millennium Pro by my brother. He has to do some tactical training and thought it would be fun to drag me along.

I have been looking for weeks at holsters that would allow me to carry IWB when not at work. I generally am a tshirt and sweatshirt kinda of guy and in WA, it's rare that I don't have at least two layers on.

I have been looking at a couple different options and thought i would let the experts here give some feedback.

I will start with my IWB holster. I would like a holster with at least two connecting points to my waistband as I want as little movement as possible. I would also like a retention strap that is a button, not velcro. I have a cheap Uncle Mike's that would fulfill this need, but it really is cheap. It doesn't stay on the waist when I pull but tends to come away with the gun, and the retention strap is difficult to remove quickly. So I would love any recommendations as to good holsters for the above weapon that would meet my requirements and be highly concealable. Although WA is an open carry state, I would like to keep my carrying very private.

I also would like to have a shoulder holster for when I have to wear tucked in business attire or just less clothes overall. I would be happy to take any recommendations there as well. I have been contemplating the deep concealment holster Deep Concealment shoulder holster,With the DeepConcealment you can conceal your gun with a plain shirt,For correct sizing please measure your chest's circumference about 4" below the armpit.

The bra like nature of it is a bit offputting however. I am uncomfortable with the "Miami Vice" type shoulder holsters, one because I don't want the muzzle of my weapon pointing anywhere but down, and two if "caught" carrying, I think it would lead people to think I am a nut of some kind. WA state being a a state where CWP carriers are in most cases in the "closet".

Love any feedback and thoughts. I look to spend about 100-150 on a nice leather IWB holster and something like that one a shoulder holster.

Looking forward to hearing what all of you advise. Maybe ill see something that just clicks.

2. Remove Ads

Check out offerings by Galco or Desantis - they usually have retention straps like what you're looking for.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I am a beginner, so be kind

I was going to purchase a firearm this year but was kindly gifted a Taurus 9mm PT 111 Millennium Pro by my brother. He has to do some tactical training and thought it would be fun to drag me along.

I have been looking for weeks at holsters that would allow me to carry IWB when not at work. I generally am a tshirt and sweatshirt kinda of guy and in WA, it's rare that I don't have at least two layers on.

I have been looking at a couple different options and thought i would let the experts here give some feedback.

I will start with my IWB holster. I would like a holster with at least two connecting points to my waistband as I want as little movement as possible. I would also like a retention strap that is a button, not velcro. I have a cheap Uncle Mike's that would fulfill this need, but it really is cheap. It doesn't stay on the waist when I pull but tends to come away with the gun, and the retention strap is difficult to remove quickly. So I would love any recommendations as to good holsters for the above weapon that would meet my requirements and be highly concealable. Although WA is an open carry state, I would like to keep my carrying very private.

I also would like to have a shoulder holster for when I have to wear tucked in business attire or just less clothes overall. I would be happy to take any recommendations there as well. I have been contemplating the deep concealment holster Deep Concealment shoulder holster,With the DeepConcealment you can conceal your gun with a plain shirt,For correct sizing please measure your chest's circumference about 4" below the armpit.

The bra like nature of it is a bit offputting however. I am uncomfortable with the "Miami Vice" type shoulder holsters, one because I don't want the muzzle of my weapon pointing anywhere but down, and two if "caught" carrying, I think it would lead people to think I am a nut of some kind. WA state being a a state where CWP carriers are in most cases in the "closet".

Love any feedback and thoughts. I look to spend about 100-150 on a nice leather IWB holster and something like that one a shoulder holster.

Looking forward to hearing what all of you advise. Maybe ill see something that just clicks.
    As to a shoulder rig, why not just try one of those $40.00(approx) 5.11 tactical under shirts with a built in shoulder holster pocket? I have seen them in use with a gun as large as a compact Glock and they hide them very well.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have the exact same Taurus and I purchased a Crossbreed for it, it works perfect, no issues whatsoever. Best $60 i think I have spent. And it came with Lifesavers too! Quick turnaround as well. I did a bit of research before I settled on it and it was the best selection. I typically wear jeans and a t-shirt daily and I never have any issues, other than when I get out of the car, but now I am accustomed to reaching back there and making sure that it is hidden while getting out. Here is the post I made when it arrived.
    Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!

In my opinion, a good IWB does not need a thumb break, and in fact they can be detrimental. You're right in the price range for some fine holsters. My two favorite IWB's are Sparks VM2 and Pure Kustom's Black Ops Pro (which is a very handy convertible IWB/OWB)...
    Milt Sparks Holsters
    PURE KUSTOM HOLSTERS MAIN
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    In my opinion, a good IWB does not need a thumb break, and in fact they can be detrimenal.
    I would agree with this statement. I would suggest finding 2-3 holsters you may like then research on how owners like them to help better decide what might work best for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    In my opinion, a good IWB does not need a thumb break, and in fact they can be detrimental. You're right in the price range for some fine holsters. My two favorite IWB's are Sparks VM2 and Pure Kustom's Black Ops Pro (which is a very handy convertible IWB/OWB)...
    Milt Sparks Holsters
    PURE KUSTOM HOLSTERS MAIN
    Make that three of us who feel this way.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'll agree with the Pure Kustom!!!!!

For a IWB thumbstrap...looks at the Bianchi Pistol Pocket I personnaly think a good boned leather or kydex concealment holster should not need a retention strap when properly concealed. Look at FIST, HBE, and UBG for leather. Crossbreed and Comptac for kydex/leather hybrids.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

First off thank you everyone for the feedback.

I understand that most would agree that a retention band is a needless extra second, for me however it has to do more with concealment. Having been reading a lot of these forums before i posted I read quite a few people say that without a retention band jobs with a lot of turning, lifting etc people sometimes would have the weapon slip out a bit.
    I have a job and life that has a ton of that and the last thing I want is the weapon slipping out. I intend the IWB to be a strong hand behind the back and in that situation the weapon would slip out of my existinf holster without the retention band.
    So i will look into the companies recommended with retention bands and if anyone has any other ideas, please fire away.

The Bianchi I mentioned may be what you are looking for, or maybe the Galco MOB. You may need to try out a kydex holster. There simply is no better positive retention absent a strap. You actually hear an audible click of the holster "snapping" into place. It will not come out unless you draw, even upside down. On an IWB, you will need to as you said clear two layers most of the time...AND un-snap the retention BEFORE the draw. Thats an awful lot ot master. Just offering advice from somebody carrying for 10 +years, who has about every kind of holster made. You will too develop a holster box/drawer. LOL Try looking at the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck, and then maybe, the Blade-tech IWB line. I am somewhat of a holster nut, and there simply is not a lot of IWB leather out there with retention straps.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks Jwhite I will do that.
    I didnt know that the Kydex holsters would "click" into place. Maybe it wouldnt be as much of an issue as I think it will be with my work. It sounds like it would resist the "slow falling out" I am so worried about.

Lanner, I have one of those lightweight deep conceal holsters. They serve a purpose but being deep conceal in nature, don't expect to rapidly deploy in a surprise situation. I have carried pistols that weighed a good 10 ounces more than your PT111 would with no problem. I would also suggest a smartcarry or belly band application.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

IWB: Crossbreed or Pure Kustoms!!!
    Something like a shoulder holster try A Better Holster . I think they even have a IWB model.
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Decisions, Decisions. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think the Bladetech holster super concealed looks most like what I want, but the minatour looks like a good choice too. I get the reference to a drawer full of holsters now.

I definately will get the A better holster shirt. Looks like a great deal and awesome for business attire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links