Concealed Carry Pants - New Product

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Pants - New Product within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love the concept, and idea. The "actuality" or "practicality" of it? Well thats a different story. I really did not like the videos for ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Pants - New Product

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I love the concept, and idea. The "actuality" or "practicality" of it? Well thats a different story. I really did not like the videos for many reasons. One is they came off sexist. All the videos the women acts helpless and the man takes control. I'd rather see a video of their product being successfully deployed by either gender, especially if they could make a pair of decent looking womens trousers, my wife might be more inclined to look into getting her CCW.

That being said, the draw in the videos was terribly slow,and seemingly unnatural, unfortunately I think body shape,and sizing play a big part in those as well as carry weapon of choice. For me, a S&W J-frame out of the strong side pocket is a quick, natural motion and draw and I prefer it to my p3at, as the grip design make it easier to grab quickly. After rewatching the purse snatch video many times, it seems as though the main time consumer is that his hand fumbles to get a proper grip on the firearm, the ACTUAL draw seems fine. Maybe it shifts around while in place?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Not for me.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Saw these demonstrated at the NRA Convention at Charlotte. Vender was using a medium sized semi-auto, not sure of model, but even while standing there was significant printing. Couldn’t tell it was a gun but looked about the size of a wadded t-shirt stuck in pocket. Interesting concept but I will stay with an IWB; can wear it with any type of pants.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Interesting idea for a pocket gun...But a 1911 or a Glock 22??? If I walked around with one of those all day in my front pocket someone may mistake me for an adult film star!!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    Not impressed. The purse snatching video says it all. The guy looks like he is running with a goiter on his leg and then six seconds to draw after the BG produces a knife. The other scenarios are equally laughable particularly where the guy with the pocket holster beats the guy to the draw carrying IWB apendix. There is a reason why that is slo/mo as it is easier to edit to make it come out the way you want. I don't think this company will be around long. YMMV
    way to gimmicky for me.i practice with and use an iwb kydex holster.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I ordered one...I'll post what happens too.

In summer, I can't wear an untucked shirt to work, or a jacket outside in our muggy heat...esp. not on the beach vacation!

I have several tuckable holsters, but they are a pill to put on and have a slow draw.

I was considering a pocket holster when I saw this. If it works well, I will try the shorts for my vacation.

I think this concept will continue to be developed and refined for some time to come, but only if we support the company with purchases.

Customer service has been exemplary so far. I hope Jay succeeds with his product.

If anyone is interested in trying this "on the cheap" and wears 40 x 30 pants, send me a PM, and I'll sell mine to ya. I've only worn them inside the home, so they are as brand new. Mine are cargo pants in the "jalapeno" (olive green) color. I also have the mag sleeve.

As I wrote above, they just don't work for me - my thighs are too fat.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I would take you up on that offer to try your prototype, but not my size...

I'm also looking forward to more reviews from early adopters. No carry method is perfect, all have advantages and disadvantages, and what works great for some doesn't work at all for others.

I think that this concept has potential to become another carry option - just like the SmartCarry has.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I will take you up on the offer, but I don't know how to PM!

OK! Figured it out! PM sent.
    Last edited by Winston Smit; June 24th, 2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: I am s l o w...

FWIW:

For the selling price, it seems you could order a pair of pants a size or two bigger than needed, have the waist taken in and have the pockets enlarged and replaced with a thicker lined material, and end up with virtually the same product. The break-away wouldnt be needed if the pockets were slightly bigger, and you'd probably only have $30 in alteration costs added to the cost of the pants...and most quality khakis are way less than $50.

Lightbulb SA XDM-45 with Leupold Deltapoint CCW Breakaways Concealed Carry Holster with Plastic

Frustrated still by the lack of a full holster for an SA XDM-45, I too ordered these pants and the optional thin, flexible plastic insert into the outside face of the holster pocket, to cover the trigger.

As delivered, the pocket is formed in the shape of and capable of accepting a full sized tactical (5" barrel) pistol. Adjusting the depth of the holster based on the included instructions was easy. You unload the pistol, turn the pants inside out then lay the pistol on the holster pocket. Fold up the bottom of the pocket and secure it in place with the Velcro pieces that are sewn to the pocket(s). You can see this and more on the web site.

Regarding the draw, in about 4 or 5 practice draws I could get the gun out of the pocket as fast as I could put my hand into the pocket. Of course, anything less than a well made Kydex holster in the proper location on the hip is going to be a bit slower than optimal. But if the motivation is to leave the gun at home because of limited carry options, or to carry a paperclip, rubber band and paper wad instead (aka 380), these pants do work.

Having said that, I agree with the appearance comments below except want to add even with the pistol grip levering outward away from the body, someone beside or behind me could not look into the pocket to see the firearm there. Note that I am 150 pounds of svelte, rock hard masculinity on a 5' 7" frame and still the back edge, rear grip edge of the pistol pressed forward on the one side where the pistol was. That was standing. Regarding sitting, I could modify the look to appear more normal (less like I had a bagel toaster in my pocket) by adjusting the velcro to lengthening the pocket so the pistol sat lower on my thigh. Even not folding the pocket at all, so the pistol was the lowest it could be against my thigh when inside the pocket, I could easily get the pistol out of the pocket. Doing this however didn't appear to me to make a difference in how far the grip pushed the pocket top material out away from my body when standing.

That looks odd, weird. It looks like you have something big and or heavy in your pocket. No it doesn't print much (not enough to make it obvious what it is) but it still looks odd.

I see an obvious solution but can not legally do it here.

In New Mexico, it is illegal to carry more than one concealed carry firearm in public. In heaven, aka Texas, the solution is simple. Put one in each pocket.

In fact, I did that, at home, inside my abode. I put an XD-45 in the left pocket and being right handed, the XDM-45 (1/2 inch longer barrel) with the Leupold Deltapoint sight in the right pocket. Prancing and jumping around, in only the most manly ways of course, with (for your sake don't anyone else do this:) full mags and one in each chamber like I would pack on the street, it looked like I was wearing relaxed fit pants- just baggy. But with only one gun in one pocket, the gun would lean forward against the over-sized (somewhat loose material of the) pocket and looked odd because the other side (empty pocket) fit very noticeably flatter against my body.

Next I stuffed only a couple of the 13 round loaded mags in the left pocket and the pistol in the right pocket. That helped make things look a bit more uniform, but still obviously oddly different from side to side. The back of the grip of the relatively heavy XD-45 loaded with 13+1 tended to pivot or lever around the end of the barrel at the bottom of the pocket, to push the back of the grip forward, out away from the body causing the excessive baggy look on only one side. The size and weight of the pistol pushes the material of the top of the pocket out away from your body whereas the bulk of the mass of the two loaded mags sits lower in the pocket and do not make the top of the pocket bulge away from the body. I will say though I think this makes it easier to get your hand into the pocket quickly to remove the gun.

I am serious, it looks okay, just like baggy or relaxed-fit pants, with a full sized 45 in each pocket. Cool! I would do that if it were legal. You, or at least I, in 99 degree F 15% humidity here could then wear a neatly tucked-in t-shirt with the nice looking CCW Breakaway pants and show off my buff upper torso. That would leave it to the ladies' imaginations then, why with such a tight, manly body, I wear pants that are so baggy and bulging in the front.

Other Options

On another pair of pants, Brooks Brothers heavy, soft textured wash and wear cotton (not chino) pants, the XD-45 slips easily into the pocket and reasonably easy out. The pocket is large enough to put the gun in there. But it does do some printing. Too bad no one makes a pocket holster for a full sized 45! But I like the way these pants look so when it is hot outside, I have stashed the 45 in the pocket of those pants, with a t-shirt or polo shirt out to conceal the printing. This of course requires a two-handed draw. One hand is needed to pull up the shirt up away from the pocket opening. You can find these at the larger Brooks Brothers outlet stores for about $54 if you go when they have a 40% off sale such as around holidays.

Otherwise, for the warmer months, I stopped buying 40 regular suits and jackets and started buying 42 short. That gives me extra room in the jacket around the waist that lets me conceal the 45 on the right hip in a Comp-Tac OWB Kydex holster with a t-shirt or shirt underneath the jacket. Keep something a little heavy in the right front lower jacket pocket so it will throw backward as you move your right hand back for the draw.

Winter I often use a Comp-Tac IWB full Kydex or, if doing a lot of sitting, the Minotaur (leather back, Kydex outer), appendix carry, under a moderate to heavy weight (to prevent printing) sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, I did order the cargo pants. My impression is that they are very well made pants, and worth the money. The holster pocket system works well. The draw is fast!

As first delivered, however, I was able to pull the trigger on my (unloaded) Glock through the fabric. It took a bit of digging with my finger, but with small grabby children in the home, that was a no-go to me. I spoke to Jay (who is a really nice guy!), and he has re-designed the pockets so that there will be an optional plastic trigger guard that will slide into a sleeve on the outside of the pocket/holster. As an interim solution, he sent me plastic guards to attach to the outside of the pockets myself (using safety pins).

Another issue is that, for me at least, the weight of the pistol pulled the pants down, so that they sagged a bit on the gun side. Other folks with different body shapes may not find that to be an issue. I tried different belts, but the only thing that helped was suspenders.

Biggest issue was printing. There was NO printing while standing, but while walking there was an unusual bulge on the front of my thigh. While sitting, the bulge was on the inside of the thigh. Neither looked like a gun, but the bulge was in an unusual spot. I think this is mostly because I have large thighs (27 inches), so folks with skinnier legs and thighs will probably print less.

All in all, I think this is a great idea that unfortunately does not seem to work with my short, squat body type. If you have thinner thighs than I do, or are more tolerant of "printing," this system is worth a look.

I own three pair of these CCW pants. I like them and they fit great. I don't find the full size guns I carry to print or be unhandy to draw and the adjustability of the pocket/holster is easy to deal with. I'm average size (5'10" and 180), I use them to carry a Kimber 1911, full and compact Glocks, a j-frame Smith or a Smith M&P. No trouble with any of them.

I don't care about the videos on the website; I don't buy the pants because of, or in spite of them. The cost is realistic, considering that I am buying a fully realized adjustable holster garment, not a pair of cargo pants. I'm not a huge fan of regular pocket carry, but these make sense to me. Well worth the money.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    If you want pants, then I recommend Propper brand pants. They are basically 5.11s but tougher in my opinion. I have had mine for a few years now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links