Raven Concealment Holster Disappointment

This is a discussion on Raven Concealment Holster Disappointment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After almost a 60 day wait I finally received my Phantom holster in the mail today. The only issue is that it does not fit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Holster Disappointment

Raven Concealment Holster Disappointment

After almost a 60 day wait I finally received my Phantom holster in the mail today. The only issue is that it does not fit me very well.

To try and paint a picture for you I'm 5'9 140lbs with a very slim build. I'm carrying a Springfield XD9 subcompact.

Before the phantom I have been carrying using a Kholster IWB around 4O'clock. My issue with the phantom is that it does not have enough curve to hug the shape of my body and is actually pulling my pants and belt away from my side. FWIW I'm wearing jeans and a Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt.

I bought this holster primarily for OWB carry but that proved to be impossible to conceal under a shirt. IWB with the holster is better but I still have the issue of it pulling my pants a belt away from my side. I've e-mailed the company seeking advice or a refund. I had voiced my concern when I initially ordered the holster and he said more curve could be put into it if needed, my issue is that I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money shipping the holster back and forth to try and get the curve right.

I'll get pictures up as soon as my pos camera is done charging
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

2. Remove Ads

Pictures
    The gap between my body and the clips is what's bothering me.
    OWB clips

IWB Clips reversed to wear OWB

IWB Clips

A picture showing the curve, or lack thereof

The holster does look great and I would hate to have to send it back

Using either of the clips there is a good 1/2" or more gap where it clips to my belt.

Since writing the initial post I've messed with the placement on my side and have gotten it better. I'm waiting for a call back or e-mail response to give me the go ahead to heat it up a little and give it more of a curve to fit my side.

EDIT: Just got a call back and was given the green light to heat it up a little. I'm going to try it out for a little while first then make a decision. The more I wear it the more I'm liking the fit. It's just quite a change from the kholster and bare asset I've been wearing.

Hmmmmm. I've never used one of their holsters before but it seems like unless it was custom molded to the user then everyone would have the issue with it pulling their belt away from their side because the kydex wouldn't give. Honestly I think you will have that issue with any kydex build hoslter that uses a dual clip/loop design.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Hmmmmm. I've never used one of their holsters before but it seems like unless it was custom molded to the user then everyone would have the issue with it pulling their belt away from their side because the kydex wouldn't give. Honestly I think you will have that issue with any kydex build hoslter that uses a dual clip/loop design.
    Yea, that's kindof what I was thinking. I'm going to wear it for a while and see how I like it. I've got the option of putting a little heat to it if I decide I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Yea, that's kindof what I was thinking. I'm going to wear it for a while and see how I like it. I've got the option of putting a little heat to it if I decide I need to.
    That's what I would do to it. But I would do it with the gun in the holster (or you may de-form the area of the holster that holds the gun) and use a hair dryer to warm up the kydex close to each end to get a little more curve to it. Don't use too much heat though. Good luck.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Couple suggestions if you do heat it and bend the edges. Put the gun in the holster before you start heating, put something over the part you don't want to heat. Anything like a cloth will do but watch temps or you may have the cloth ignite(depending on heat source), I use a piece of scrap leather. I use a heat gun to get up to temp but you have to be careful not to get to hot, keep the heat gun moving and don't get it too hot, just hot enough to start moving. I like to keep a fan nearby to put the rig in front of while it sets up and it helps speed up that process just a little(while your holding the bend in the position you want put it in front of the fan for 10+ seconds, it will just speed up the time it takes to become firm again). Then once you're done molding let the holster sit and cool for at least 4-5 minutes before you put it on. It may feel firm but it might still not be down to temps and may still take a shape you don't want.

That should at least help with the way I do it, but avoid putting heat to the main portion of the gun with some sort of cover and you will save headache's in changing the retention of the gun section.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    Couple suggestions if you do heat it and bend the edges. Put the gun in the holster before you start heating, put something over the part you don't want to heat. Anything like a cloth will do but watch temps or you may have the cloth ignite(depending on heat source), I use a piece of scrap leather. I use a heat gun to get up to temp but you have to be careful not to get to hot, keep the heat gun moving and don't get it too hot, just hot enough to start moving. I like to keep a fan nearby to put the rig in front of while it sets up and it helps speed up that process just a little(while your holding the bend in the position you want put it in front of the fan for 10+ seconds, it will just speed up the time it takes to become firm again). Then once you're done molding let the holster sit and cool for at least 4-5 minutes before you put it on. It may feel firm but it might still not be down to temps and may still take a shape you don't want.

That should at least help with the way I do it, but avoid putting heat to the main portion of the gun with some sort of cover and you will save headache's in changing the retention of the gun section.

Luke
    Thanks for the advice. I'm also looking into getting some kydex to make a couple different styles of belt loops.

It's a fun material to mess with, nice thing is you can reform it so as long as you make your cuts in the material smartly you can keep playing with allot of different designs without throwing out the material. Which I think is one of the best elements to kydex. With leather if I make a holster and for some reason something goes wrong in the middle it's tossed, with kydex you can redo things differently or even redo a holster for a different gun sometimes. Really neat stuff.

For a place to get some I've got nothing but good to say about Home - Springfield Leather Co. Inc. prices are on par with other companies out there but they have some of the best customer service that I have ever experienced. Absolutely top notch folks over there.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

My first gen raven holster was thinner and had more bend to it but after 4 months hard use of daily carry and competition it started to crack. The free replacement is now slightly thicker and has less bend to it.

For my body type, 6ft and 220 lbs its still perfect IWB for a 21sf. :) My point is to not bend too much or it may start to crack. Leather flexes but kydex is thin and fast so we need a hybrid style.

I have the same problem with mine, although mine is a bigger holster (its for a P226 with an X300 mounted). I've seem pictures of some guys who can virtually make the holster disappear...I guess we just have to put on some weight.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I've never used a kydex holster but I've had a couple stiff leather ones that needed more curve to better fit my shape. I found that the curve of a two pound coffee can was just about right, and my holster spent the first few nights strapped around a coffee can, and it worked great.
    I wonder if you could strap yours around a can the right size for you, fill the can with very hot water and heat from the outside with a hair dryer to mold more of a curve into it.
    Might be worth a try?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I've never used a kydex holster but I've had a couple stiff leather ones that needed more curve to better fit my shape. I found that the curve of a two pound coffee can was just about right, and my holster spent the first few nights strapped around a coffee can, and it worked great.
    I wonder if you could strap yours around a can the right size for you, fill the can with very hot water and heat from the outside with a hair dryer to mold more of a curve into it.
    Might be worth a try?
    Great idea! I was trying to wrap my head around hot kydex on my side.

One word fix: LEATHER

Leather conforms to your body. Plastic does not.

The coffee can is a good idea...perhaps tie it around a can while you heat it up to help hold the shape as it cools. Best of luck.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    One word fix: LEATHER

Leather conforms to your body. Plastic does not.

The coffee can is a good idea...perhaps tie it around a can while you heat it up to help hold the shape as it cools. Best of luck.
    Yea, I'm thinking a nice leather holster will be my next purchase.

Regardless of how thin you are, pancake type holsters with attachments on either side of the gun are not usually worn at the three O'clock position. Moving the holster behind the hip so the front attachment point is in line with the seam of your jeans will be much more comfortable and should eliminate the curvature issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links