minotaur mtac vs pure kustom black ops pro

This is a discussion on minotaur mtac vs pure kustom black ops pro within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; one of the pleasures of my gun hobby is finding great holsters. there's a lot of fun for me in the hunt for a new ...

Thread: minotaur mtac vs pure kustom black ops pro

one of the pleasures of my gun hobby is finding great holsters. there's a lot of fun for me in the hunt for a new holster. the process of discovery, hearing what other people have to say, what works for them, what doesn't' work, reading reviews, researching the styles and quality of manufacture etc... is just one of the things that enhances what i love about guns and is part of the education process.

i have some iwb and some owb but i prefer iwb for the extra sense of conceal ability, especially in warmer weather when i can't use layers to my advantage.

i recently did a lot of research before i picked up my minotaur mtac. i considered the crossbreed but in my opinion it was a no-brainer and the mtac won the contest hands down. i love it, truly a great holster. in my never ending hunger for another great holster i think the black ops pro looks interesting.

my carry pistol is usually a g27 or g23. i may pick up some flavor of 9mm in glock or sig that i would add to the mix but i'm assuming that what i'm going to put in the holster is not really relevant to the real question about the holsters.

can anyone that has experience, whether it's anecdotal or real life please help me compare the two holsters. on the surface it looks like it would be a great holster to add to my collection but not if it's essentially the same as the mtac.

get the pure custom hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    get the pure custom hands down.
    would you please share why?

Just do a search on Pure Kustom and you will have you answer.

IMO no body does it better than Rocky.
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

Black Ops Pro. I have one and love it! The biggest advantage, I think, over the M-Tac is that it can be worn either IWB or OWB and the IWB had about 27 or so adjustments. Rocky is a great guy and a pleasure to talk to on the phone. He takes pride in his work and won't let anything go out the door that he isn't satisfied with. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Sure, it's about twice as much at the M-Tac, but you are really getting two holsters in one - a multi-adjustable IWB and a great looking OWB that can be worn proudly.

I have a healthy dose of skepticism whenever I hear about custom holsters. Not everybody is "made" the same way, and whatever hoslter fits me, my body, carry position, and gun "like a glove" may not work for others.

Case in point: the VMII - I bought one because of all the excellent feedback. I cannot deny the build quality is outstanding. However, it rides too high for my short stature and I cannot get past having the grip dig uncomfortably into my lower ribs. I then went with an M-Tac, and its vertical adjustability allows me to lower the carry position; sometimes I forget I'm carrying kinda thing.

My point is, don't buy a holster just because other people say it's great. Buy it, try it, and if it fits your carry system, great! If not, you gotta try something else until you find one that works for you.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

I am going to be the odd man out here and not immediately say go with the black ops pro. I must quickly preface this before I am tar'd and featherd. I had a black op's pro for my glock 19. it is a fantastic holster and well worth the price. The craftsman ship is incredible and your getting 2 holster really. The price is a bit high buit the quality is even higher. That being said if I were in your shoes I would have to look at what my primary concerns were with a new holster purchase.

Are you looking for the "Most bang for your buck"? Then I would say black ops pro. It's two holsters and has the added benefit of having the same feel of draw for both IWB and OWB.

Are you looking for the best quality? Again, black ops pro. Rocky's holsters are almost bullet proof.

Is comfort your primary concern? This is where I would have to say go with the M-tac. It's not that the Black ops isn't a comfortable holster, it's that the Mtac is just a bit more comfortable.

Do you plan on carrying more then one gun? The M-tac may win here as well as you can orders different shells for it.

If cost isnt a concern and you have one gun you will carry 80 percent of the time and others you may carry every once in awhile I would say order both.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    one of the pleasures of my gun hobby is finding great holsters. there's a lot of fun for me in the hunt for a new holster. the process of discovery, hearing what other people have to say, what works for them, what doesn't' work, reading reviews, researching the styles and quality of manufacture etc... is just one of the things that enhances what i love about guns and is part of the education process.
    My wife calls this OCD. I feel your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am going to be the odd man out here and not immediately say go with the black ops pro. I must quickly preface this before I am tar'd and featherd. I had a black op's pro for my glock 19. it is a fantastic holster and well worth the price. The craftsman ship is incredible and your getting 2 holster really. The price is a bit high buit the quality is even higher. That being said if I were in your shoes I would have to look at what my primary concerns were with a new holster purchase.

Are you looking for the "Most bang for your buck"? Then I would say black ops pro. It's two holsters and has the added benefit of having the same feel of draw for both IWB and OWB.

Are you looking for the best quality? Again, black ops pro. Rocky's holsters are almost bullet proof.

Is comfort your primary concern? This is where I would have to say go with the M-tac. It's not that the Black ops isn't a comfortable holster, it's that the Mtac is just a bit more comfortable.

Do you plan on carrying more then one gun? The M-tac may win here as well as you can orders different shells for it.

If cost isnt a concern and you have one gun you will carry 80 percent of the time and others you may carry every once in awhile I would say order both.
    Although I don't (yet) have a Black Ops, I have to agree. The M-tac does everything well, for half the price. It does not look nearly as nice - no comparison! But, it works, and is more flexible for an IWB.

Essentially the same? I don't think so. Leather v. kydex. Different adjustments, etc. If you like holsters, the Black Ops is one of the best that I have seen.

The Pure Kustom is a true convertible holster. It works wonderfully both in and outside the waistband. Tremendous engineering. I've seen many other attempts to convert an OWB to an IWB with less than stellar results. With the Black Ops or Black Ops Pro, you really do get two great holsters.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Habit View Post
    My wife calls this OCD. I feel your pain
    lol - ocd for sure but it's great fun.

just ordered the black ops pro. can't wait to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    would you please share why?
    Honest answer and this is taking NOTHING away from the MTAC..the Pure Custom is just the nicer/better made holster. Id love the MTAC..I have a similar CB Super Tuck..but I would have far prefered the Pure Custom for my Ruger SR9c...but I didnt want to wait 8 weeks...I had the CB ST in 2....so for me it was all about time..but if I could have had the Pure Custom in 2 id have had it! Great holster..I hope someday I get a gun(not that the Ruger SR9c is my primary CC) that I can now afford the longer wait that I have a primary CC gun up and running in a CB ST....im willing to wait now..I just dont know what will be riding the the pure custom...maybe a HKP7 or a HP USP Compact??? maybe a Sig compact or some such..maybe a 1911 Platform 4" gun...who knows :)

Sponsored Links