Need some info on Yaqui slide holster

This is a discussion on Need some info on Yaqui slide holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here using a Yaqui slide holster ? I'm thinking of getting one for my Kimber Ultra Carry II, but wanted some feedback before I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some info on Yaqui slide holster

Anyone here using a Yaqui slide holster ?

I'm thinking of getting one for my Kimber Ultra Carry II, but wanted some feedback before I sped the dollars.

Looking at the Galco tan leather version.

Thanks in advance !

I've carried on but didn't care for it didn't see to hold the gun tight enough for me

plus the front of the gun is uprotected

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Have used them and don't care for them as they expose most of your weapons barrel to the elements and fail to protect like a good leather holster does. They have been around forever and Galco's version is as good as any but due to the above, I don't care for them unless it's for range use. For another $10 to $20 you can get yourself a good holster that will protect your weapon.

Lead Moderator
    I use a homemade IWB belt slide holster but wouldn't trust and OWB to keep my pistol secure while sitting down and such, I can imagine the barrel getting shoved up while catching a chair arm.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I had one for my Springfield 1911. I hated it. It's gone!!!!

VIP Member
    I have one for my Browning Hi Power. It does ok because my gun is not blued. The issue I have is the way it holds the gun in the hammer will dig into my shirt. I've already holed one shirt and I'm very careful about using it now.

-Scott-

got one for a glock 36. i never had any problems with it. seems to work best with a smaller gun.

Rocky hit the nail on the head and it goes for this or any holster shorter than the pistol it's carrying. When you sit, pressure on the muzzle of the firearm can push it up and out of the holster. Another problem with most of the Yaqui slides I've seen, even for just range use, is lack of any type of front sight track. With the muzzle sticking thru the bottom of the holster, it's easy to snag the front sight on the bottom edge of the holster during the draw.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

slide holster

bought one a while back for my 1911. really don't like it too much. I have relegated it to my range collection because it does work for holding the gun there, but it doesn't grip the gun well. I have had my gun almost release from 2 holsters and this is one of them. Not for regular carry with an OWB. It also takes heavy clothing to cover the gun in these holsters because they sit out so much... if memory serves, mine is a galco.

I bought one for my Kahr MK9. I didn't like it at all. Didn't keep my gun close to me and it felt like it was flopping around. It might work better with a bigger gun - don't know.

Thanks for the quick replies and the information from everyone !

I saw one in a gun store today, but I was not carrying my Kimber at the time. Had to go to Lubbock for heart tests, so I decided to wear a snubby 357 in an ankle holster so I wouldn't scare the nurses too bad, LOL.

Anyway, the gun shop let me try a 1911 in the holster, the front sight kept hanging on the bottom front edge and made unholstering in a hurry just a tad bit questionable.

Y'all have helped me a lot with this, I'll save my money ! Thanks.

Assistant Administrator
    Ain't that great eh? Inside three hours Dave has had some great feedback - and it has all helped guide him on a decision.

I think that's pretty darned impressive Thx to all who added their thoughts - this is what makes CC such a valuable resource.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ain't that great eh? Inside three hours Dave has had some great feedback - and it has all helped guide him on a decision.

I think that's pretty darned impressive Thx to all who added their thoughts - this is what makes CC such a valuable resource.

Exactly, Chris ! Just one of the many reasons I enjoy visiting this site so often.

My problem with this Kimber Ultra Carry II 3 inch 1911 is finding a holster that will keep the top of the pistol in close to my body. I've tried quite a few and the mistakes are getting costly.......

Because of hip surgery and the location of a fairly recent scar and painful area, an IWB holster is out of the question. So, I have been looking at and trying various OWB pancake styles. I have narrowed it down to styles where the majority of the pistol is at or below the waist line, or belt. My reasoning on that is that by having a bit of a spare tire around my middle, a high rise pancake OWB holster just makes the top of the pistol push out, and that is not good for good concealment. By having the majority of the pistol below the belt line, the extra padding on my hip tends to push the bottom of the pistol out.... and the top in ! Just what I am wanting.

I have been scouring through site after site trying to find one like that.... open top, tension adjustment, tan leather OWB pancake with the gun in a 'low', but canted position. Galco makes one called the 'side snap scabbard', the gun sits low, and there is a suifficient forward cant. They only make them in black, and instead of the belt sliding through slots, it is held in place by snaps. The description claims it is very comfortable, but I have never tried a holster utilizing the snap on method of securing it to the belt. If that would work, I might have to forget the brown color and just go with black.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...2564&GunID=175

Unless anyone has any other ideas....... ??

Edit: just saw the K&D Eagle Defender holster. That just might work.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Carry my 1911 in one.
    I like it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    Galco makes one called the 'side snap scabbard', the gun sits low, and there is a suifficient forward cant. They only make them in black, and instead of the belt sliding through slots, it is held in place by snaps. The description claims it is very comfortable, but I have never tried a holster utilizing the snap on method of securing it to the belt. If that would work, I might have to forget the brown color and just go with black.
    I don't think I'd worry about the color if the holster is what you want. I've always gone for that off-dark brown (can't remember exactly what it's called) that sort of goes with everything.

Glad to see you got the feedback that saved you from adding another holster to the "collection in the drawer".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links