Is modifying pants pockets possible?

This is a discussion on Is modifying pants pockets possible? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to buy a Walther PPS for a pocket gun and I'm wondering if I can have my front jean pocket openings modified ...

I am about to buy a Walther PPS for a pocket gun and I'm wondering if I can have my front jean pocket openings modified to look like these:

These particular EOTAC pants have front pocket openings around 7 inches, I have the normal everyday jeans that have freakishly small pockets (4-5 inches?) (or at least that's what I think)

I am also trying to have the pocket interior enlarged with ripstop fabric so that the pocket comes down to around 3-3.5 inches above the patella of the knee...

For any of you that have had custom tailoring work done for CC, what was your experience?
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

Probably would be easier / more cost effective to just buy the jeans pictured.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Probably would be easier / more cost effective to just buy the jeans pictured.
    Agreed, although any decent tailor can make the change.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Whoops, the edit time limit passed...

can the tailor make the modifications without having to cannibalize another pair of pants/fabric?

I hate to say this but I have to be blunt, money is no object in this case but it doesn't hurt to save a little here and there...
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

Tailor work can be quite inexpensive if you find the right place.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    I am about to buy a Walther PPS for a pocket gun and I'm wondering if I can have my front jean pocket openings modified to look like these:

These particular EOTAC pants have front pocket openings around 7 inches, I have the normal everyday jeans that have freakishly small pockets (4-5 inches?) (or at least that's what I think)

I am also trying to have the pocket interior enlarged with ripstop fabric so that the pocket comes down to around 3-3.5 inches above the patella of the knee...

For any of you that have had custom tailoring work done for CC, what was your experience?
    From the picture posted it looks like the pocket opening extends past the side seam on the pants. Doable yes, but not very easy and might cost more than just buying the pants in the picture.
    However "scooping out the front of the pants to make the pocket opening deeper and wider can be done, but it would require both a new(deeper) pocket lining or "pocket bag". Removing the material at the front of the pocket opening isn't at all difficult, but the front side panel might need to be recut from additional fabric to cover the area where the pants front was cut to deepen the pocket opening. As far a a pocket lining, just about any fabric can be used , most commonly they are made from something lightweight and inexpensive, usually muslin, ripstop nylon would be a good substitute but at additional expense. Many brand of pants use small pocket linings made of inexpensive material to cut down on production costs.
    Today's sewing lesson is now concluded.
    Last edited by Rugergirl; April 5th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Any half decent seamstress should be able to cut out the bottom of a jeans pocket and sew in some basic white cotton cloth, to lengthen the pocket. I have seen a few on here do it, and shouldnt cost you too much.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thats why I love my Carharts, deep pockets and they last forever!!! And they don't support gun control like the Levi's does......

Pocket lengthening and reinforcing is easy and inexpensive, and highly recommended for pocket carry. As for the opening, have them slit the edge and hem it down the side seam about an inch or two and put a small snap at the corner. Put one on the other corner to match (some jeans have rivets there) or have the other pocket done as well. This gives you a wider access point without having to add material. The snap should be able to easily be unsnapped with your wrist as you draw.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    Thats why I love my Carharts, deep pockets and they last forever!!! And they don't support gun control like the Levi's does......
    Maybe that's why Levi's ditched the 2 belt loops? Makes it harder to carry. Hmmmmmm?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

This is kind of an odd one, but if you're looking for a good, inexpensive tailor, I've used Yelp for that exact purpose before. It's a public review site, where anyone can review and post info about places of business. Don't know if your area has a lot of reviews, so it may or may not be helpful, but I figured it's worth a shot.

I've used it to find out which gun stores to visit while on vacation before, too!

cj
    As other mentioned, making the pocket itself is very easy.

Increasing the pocket opening like that would be difficult. You might be better off widening the pocket then trying to seal it back up with velcro. Extending the pocket itself looks like it would require adding material (which means finding a really close match, or buying two pairs and cutting up one for materials). Velcro would let you keep the look of the pants the same (so no need to refinish edges) and try to hide all of the work.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sounds like good advice above for the pocket mouth. But regarding the pocket lining, replacing the cheap muslin is a good idea. I had a pistol barrel wear a hole in the bottom of a pocket once. It was actually a good thing, as:
    1. It kept the pocket lint away (well, down in my sock, perhaps);
    2. It kept me from putting anything else in that pocket; and
    3. It allowed the weapon to ride lower in the pocket (the barrel stuck through the hole).

So while mine was accidental, you may be well-served with a deeper pocket. You might also consider shaping it for the weapon, so as to maintain a consistent orientation for the grip (you know, narrower and longer at the front to take the barrel).

(and 'hey' from an old epidemiologist - and sympathy for the effort you're investing)
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Lead Moderator
    If money isn't an issue , buy new jeans designed to CCW . Here is another option :
    >* Specialty Concealed Carry Blue Jeans --* TOTERS* -- Designed By Blackie Collins <*****
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

los
    How many Jeans and/or Pants do you intend to alter.? Are you going to alter a few shorts as well, for summer carry.?

It may be more feasible and cost effective to invest in a good [IWB] tuckable rig.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Links