Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review (for Springfield XD)

This is a discussion on Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review (for Springfield XD) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier this year, I ordered some custom holsters from Rocky at Pure Kustom. He made me one for my Springfield XD (4" bbl) and so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review (for Springfield XD)

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review (for Springfield XD)

Earlier this year, I ordered some custom holsters from Rocky at Pure Kustom. He made me one for my Springfield XD (4" bbl) and so far, I really like it. Here's the lowdown...

The Blacks Ops Pro is a truly convertible holster with plenty of different fits. Ask many retailers and they will claim that you can't make a holster that is IWB and OWB. Rocky has proved them wrong.

Obviously, there's not much more than IWB or OWB with a holster like this, but the way Pure Kustom can say it has various fits is because you can adjust the belt loops to your personal preference. I like this feature, largely because it saves you the "buy-try-sell" pattern that is the practice of some many CHLers. I may like a particular holster's cant but not the high rise of the holster... etc.

For example, when I got this holster, I did not like the way the screws were set.... but I didn't know it. Once I got some time to play around with the screws and put them as tight as I wanted in whichever holes I wanted, the gun fit much, much better on my waist. I personally do not like a cant on my gun and I was able to do that with this holster, as well as get the grip of the gun to ride at the right height for me.

The holster is made out of cow leather, but it does not look cheap whatsoever. It's top-quality, top-shelf work. The holster has belt loops that you slide your 1.5"-wide belt through when you wear it IWB and you can remove the belt loops when you wear the holster OWB. Of course, I use a gun belt and I think that is important when using a heavy-duty, stiff holster like this.

I was concerned that I might be able to wear this holster only with cold-weather clothes, but even with shorts and a t-shirt, this holster is fantastic. It conceals very well and is super comfortable. I found the 4 o'clock position to be the most comfortable. As a matter of fact, the IWB 4 o'clock position is so comfortable, that I doubt I will use it for OWB very much.

In that sense, I feel like the nearly $200 price tag is worth it... only because if you take care of the leather (which is easy), you could own this holster and use it daily for 10+ years.

My only remark on the "cons" side (and it's a light-colored mark) is the retention of the holster... it's very high! As a matter of fact, when I got the holster, Rocky told me that it was exceptionally tight. He gave me some tips on how to soften up the leather a bit and made sure I knew that if that did not work that I could call him for further help. After much use and wear, as well as drawing the gun (unloaded!) a number of times, it has softened up considerably. I fully expect this to improve as I use the holster, though it would be great if the holster arrived in that "perfect" range.

My initial thought was that if Rocky could make a holster that I could carry my XD in and forget about it (like I do with my smaller guns), then he had sold me on future orders. Like many of you, I have some bulkier guns that I like to shoot but have a hard time finding comfortable holsters to handle the extra weight/length/width. This holster has done that. It's a terrific holster and really is my favorite out of all the holsters that I own. I doubt I will honestly shop for many other holsters in the future... I will probably just call Pure Kustom!

Some pics below... these are all with my XD Subcompact... it fits perfectly in the holster with a little leather to spare... the first one is with jeans and a long-sleeve dress shirt... excellent concealment. The second one is with shorts and t-shirt... again, very comfortable, excellent concealment. Finally, the last picture shows me with my arms raised above my head. Notice that you cannot make out the grip or shape of the XD.... it's at 4 o'clock.

Gun1.jpg

Gun2.jpg

Gun3.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Very nice! Welcome to the PK club. You now know what so few already know, the Pure Kustom line of holsters beat anything else on the market hands down. Rocky makes exceptionally great holsters. I enjoyed your review.

Nice review. I'm waiting for my PK BOP now, just ordered it last week. Can't wait. I'll post some pictures once I receive it. Rocky is really great to work with.

Dave M.

Ordered my Black Ops Pro last week as well. After reading all the reviews and looking at all the BOP photos of everyone's rig, I can see why Rocky makes the BEST !!! My Supertuck is going to become a "drawer queen".
    Kimber Custom TLE II, GLOCK 30SF, GLOCK 19C, Walther PK380
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro (Greyhound) Holster
    Mega Arms Billet AR-15's
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Thanks for the review McPatrickClan

My only remark on the "cons" side (and it's a light-colored mark) is the retention of the holster... it's very high! As a matter of fact, when I got the holster, Rocky told me that it was exceptionally tight. He gave me some tips on how to soften up the leather a bit and made sure I knew that if that did not work that I could call him for further help. After much use and wear, as well as drawing the gun (unloaded!) a number of times, it has softened up considerably. I fully expect this to improve as I use the holster, though it would be great if the holster arrived in that "perfect" range.
    you do mean lossened up a bit right? It is impossible to make a holster a perfect fit. Because there are so many body types. My holsters are curved to the body. But If I were to make them a perfect fit and someone is a little bigger than the curve. the holster will be loser and the opposite would be true with a skinny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post

you do mean lossened up a bit right?
    Yes, Rocky. You are right. The integrity of the leather was not impacted... it just forms to the gun better now.

Man.....I really want one....but I am tight on money right now and I hate to "give it a whirl" for $150-175 if I am unsure I will like it, but boy, they are nice.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Yes, Rocky. You are right. The integrity of the leather was not impacted... it just forms to the gun better now.
    It's COWDEX.............

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Man.....I really want one....but I am tight on money right now and I hate to "give it a whirl" for $150-175 if I am unsure I will like it, but boy, they are nice.
    Harley, read the reviews, I don't think you will find any that are unhappy with one of Rocky's holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I'm in the same boat and don't have the extra money. It's hard to find a bad review for Rocky's holsters. I did order a Black Ops Pro for my XDm over a week ago just based on everyone's excellent reviews of the holster.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

It's COWDEX.............
    Seriously... that's almost what it IS like!

Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    I'm in the same boat and don't have the extra money. It's hard to find a bad review for Rocky's holsters. I did order a Black Ops Pro for my XDm over a week ago just based on everyone's excellent reviews of the holster.
    It's the "ultimate" holster... or at least the closest one I have ever found. To me, the real test is whether a holster can make a large gun:

a) disappear w/shorts & t-shirt

b) make you forget you have it on

The PK Black Ops Pro does both. I'm sold. If I wanted a full-size 1911, I know that now I could carry it daily in a PK holster.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Seriously... that's almost what it IS like!
    lol you like that huh? lol I have been trying to figure out a pitch for it.

COWDEX Natures kydex, Only better

COWDEX, and you thought Kydex was hard!?

lol you like that huh? lol I have been trying to figure out a pitch for it.

COWDEX Natures kydex, Only better
    Hi Rocky, I think your on to something, ought to patent it quick!

Dave M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links