P7 Prototype Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on P7 Prototype Your Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came up with this design for the P7 PSP and M8 pistols. I wanted something with a lower ride and security without a strap ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P7 Prototype Your Thoughts

I came up with this design for the P7 PSP and M8 pistols. I wanted something with a lower ride and security without a strap and without a severe cant suitable for wear from about 3:00 to 4:30. The holster is 8/9OZ Hermann Oak. I'd appreciate some input on anything I might have missed or changes that should be made. Thanks.
    Attached Images

JD
    Administrator
    Looks pretty nice, one thing I would try to incorporate is a little more room for the middle finger when drawing given that you really want a correctly placed, firm grip on the draw as you have to actuate the cocking lever. You don't want to be shifting your grip.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'd appreciate some input on anything I might have missed or changes
    * It appears the the holster would not work with a P7M8 as well because of the shape of the leather at the point where the mag release levers are. It looks like the levers would be accidentally pressed when holstering.

* Personally, I'd have a hard time drawing straight up at 4:00 position. My arm doesn't match my wrist's grip angle in that instance. The forward kant is very helpful IMHO for wearing at 3:30 to 4:00. The holster I use now has about 20 degrees kant, and it feels very natural.

* Construction quality and finish looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Looks pretty nice, one thing I would try to incorporate is a little more room for the middle finger when drawing given that you really want a correctly placed, firm grip on the draw as you have to actuate the cocking lever. You don't want to be shifting your grip.
    You're correct on the clearance however it's the first finger that is minimal clearance I'm going to have to lower that area by about 3/16 inch I have slender fingers but someone with larger digits would need more room.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    * It appears the the holster would not work with a P7M8 as well because of the shape of the leather at the point where the mag release levers are. It looks like the levers would be accidentally pressed when holstering.

* Personally, I'd have a hard time drawing straight up at 4:00 position. My arm doesn't match my wrist's grip angle in that instance. The forward kant is very helpful IMHO for wearing at 3:30 to 4:00. The holster I use now has about 20 degrees kant, and it feels very natural.

* Construction quality and finish looks good.
    Thanks for the input. Bad camera angle on the photo actually there is a 15degree muzzle rear cant. The basic design will work for both the PSP and the m8 the pattern for the M8 has more clearance to accomodate the mag release and uses a different stitchline for the larger triggerguard.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    You're correct on the clearance however it's the first finger that is minimal clearance I'm going to have to lower that area by about 3/16 inch I have slender fingers but someone with larger digits would need more room.
    You shouldn't be using your first finger for gripping the gun, that one's for the bang switch.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You shouldn't be using your first finger for gripping the gun, that one's for the bang switch.
    Sorry meant first finger on the grip. Brain fade.

Yep...

I like it.

Been trying to get someone to make that one for me.

With a bit of cut-out to account for the M8 mag release on both sides, it would be ideal for my use...

Perfect for me..is something no more than 10* of butt forward cant...just enough cant to assist with minimizing signature...But I could live with it as is.

When may I make an order?

Nice work.
    ks
    Last edited by Kilo Sierra; April 5th, 2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: incomplete statement

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
    I like it.

Been trying to get someone to make that one for me.

With a bit of cut-out to account for the M8 mag release on both sides, it would be ideal for my use...

Perfect for me..is something no more than 10* of butt forward cant...just enough cant to assist with minimizing signature.

When may I make an order?

Nice work.
    ks
    PM me and we can discuss it.

I LIKE it!!! that is a good looking holster with enough security for the top heavy P7... My first Stronghold from TT was waaay too topheavy, he has redesigned it and I should be receiving it this week. Are you selling those???

purely from a looks dept.....i would rather see the stitching go around the loop slots rather than jut out from the top.....would look more polished to me.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    Thanks for the input. Bad camera angle on the photo actually there is a 15degree muzzle rear cant. The basic design will work for both the PSP and the m8 the pattern for the M8 has more clearance to accomodate the mag release and uses a different stitchline for the larger triggerguard.
    In that case I like like it. In fact I have a holster similar to yours, but your prototype appears to ride much lower along the beltline, which may be a good thing, as I'm sometimes poked in the ribs with mine. Good job, I wish you success.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    purely from a looks dept.....i would rather see the stitching go around the loop slots rather than jut out from the top.....would look more polished to me.
    That would be a customer option like double stitching. Appeals to some but has no functional purpose and adds to the cost. However I understand that may folks like it and I don't mind doing it. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I LIKE it!!! that is a good looking holster with enough security for the top heavy P7... My first Stronghold from TT was waaay too topheavy, he has redesigned it and I should be receiving it this week. Are you selling those???
    Yes I will be. Just wanted to get some input from some of the knowledgeable folks here. I like the design but I'm looking at it from biased eyes.

Good deal....will see how Tims redesign goes.. thanks robbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links