P7 Prototype Your Thoughts

P7 Prototype Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on P7 Prototype Your Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came up with this design for the P7 PSP and M8 pistols. I wanted something with a lower ride and security without a strap ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: P7 Prototype Your Thoughts

  1. #1
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161

    P7 Prototype Your Thoughts

    I came up with this design for the P7 PSP and M8 pistols. I wanted something with a lower ride and security without a strap and without a severe cant suitable for wear from about 3:00 to 4:30. The holster is 8/9OZ Hermann Oak. I'd appreciate some input on anything I might have missed or changes that should be made. Thanks.
    Attached Images


  2. #2
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,359
    Looks pretty nice, one thing I would try to incorporate is a little more room for the middle finger when drawing given that you really want a correctly placed, firm grip on the draw as you have to actuate the cocking lever. You don't want to be shifting your grip.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quantico/ F'burg, VA
    Posts
    1,409
    I'd appreciate some input on anything I might have missed or changes
    * It appears the the holster would not work with a P7M8 as well because of the shape of the leather at the point where the mag release levers are. It looks like the levers would be accidentally pressed when holstering.

    * Personally, I'd have a hard time drawing straight up at 4:00 position. My arm doesn't match my wrist's grip angle in that instance. The forward kant is very helpful IMHO for wearing at 3:30 to 4:00. The holster I use now has about 20 degrees kant, and it feels very natural.

    * Construction quality and finish looks good.

  4. #4
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Looks pretty nice, one thing I would try to incorporate is a little more room for the middle finger when drawing given that you really want a correctly placed, firm grip on the draw as you have to actuate the cocking lever. You don't want to be shifting your grip.
    You're correct on the clearance however it's the first finger that is minimal clearance I'm going to have to lower that area by about 3/16 inch I have slender fingers but someone with larger digits would need more room.

  5. #5
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    * It appears the the holster would not work with a P7M8 as well because of the shape of the leather at the point where the mag release levers are. It looks like the levers would be accidentally pressed when holstering.

    * Personally, I'd have a hard time drawing straight up at 4:00 position. My arm doesn't match my wrist's grip angle in that instance. The forward kant is very helpful IMHO for wearing at 3:30 to 4:00. The holster I use now has about 20 degrees kant, and it feels very natural.

    * Construction quality and finish looks good.
    Thanks for the input. Bad camera angle on the photo actually there is a 15degree muzzle rear cant. The basic design will work for both the PSP and the m8 the pattern for the M8 has more clearance to accomodate the mag release and uses a different stitchline for the larger triggerguard.

  6. #6
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    You're correct on the clearance however it's the first finger that is minimal clearance I'm going to have to lower that area by about 3/16 inch I have slender fingers but someone with larger digits would need more room.
    You shouldn't be using your first finger for gripping the gun, that one's for the bang switch.

  7. #7
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You shouldn't be using your first finger for gripping the gun, that one's for the bang switch.
    Sorry meant first finger on the grip. Brain fade.

  8. #8
    New Member Array Kilo Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    aLASKA
    Posts
    8

    Yep...

    I like it.

    Been trying to get someone to make that one for me.

    With a bit of cut-out to account for the M8 mag release on both sides, it would be ideal for my use...

    Perfect for me..is something no more than 10* of butt forward cant...just enough cant to assist with minimizing signature...But I could live with it as is.

    When may I make an order?

    Nice work.
    ks
    Last edited by Kilo Sierra; April 5th, 2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: incomplete statement

  9. #9
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
    I like it.

    Been trying to get someone to make that one for me.

    With a bit of cut-out to account for the M8 mag release on both sides, it would be ideal for my use...

    Perfect for me..is something no more than 10* of butt forward cant...just enough cant to assist with minimizing signature.

    When may I make an order?

    Nice work.
    ks
    PM me and we can discuss it.

  10. #10
    Member Array southarkrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texarkana, Arkansas
    Posts
    453
    I LIKE it!!! that is a good looking holster with enough security for the top heavy P7... My first Stronghold from TT was waaay too topheavy, he has redesigned it and I should be receiving it this week. Are you selling those???

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,046
    purely from a looks dept.....i would rather see the stitching go around the loop slots rather than jut out from the top.....would look more polished to me.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  12. #12
    Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quantico/ F'burg, VA
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    Thanks for the input. Bad camera angle on the photo actually there is a 15degree muzzle rear cant. The basic design will work for both the PSP and the m8 the pattern for the M8 has more clearance to accomodate the mag release and uses a different stitchline for the larger triggerguard.
    In that case I like like it. In fact I have a holster similar to yours, but your prototype appears to ride much lower along the beltline, which may be a good thing, as I'm sometimes poked in the ribs with mine. Good job, I wish you success.



  13. #13
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    purely from a looks dept.....i would rather see the stitching go around the loop slots rather than jut out from the top.....would look more polished to me.
    That would be a customer option like double stitching. Appeals to some but has no functional purpose and adds to the cost. However I understand that may folks like it and I don't mind doing it. Thanks for the input.

  14. #14
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I LIKE it!!! that is a good looking holster with enough security for the top heavy P7... My first Stronghold from TT was waaay too topheavy, he has redesigned it and I should be receiving it this week. Are you selling those???
    Yes I will be. Just wanted to get some input from some of the knowledgeable folks here. I like the design but I'm looking at it from biased eyes.

  15. #15
    Member Array southarkrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texarkana, Arkansas
    Posts
    453
    Good deal....will see how Tims redesign goes.. thanks robbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sig p226 prototype...unfinished/raw
    By BruceGibson in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 9th, 2010, 12:41 AM
  2. Prototype Thompson
    By NYCMedic in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
  3. New Prototype Flashlight
    By Patti in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 27th, 2009, 02:26 AM
  4. I Want One of These! :MagPul Prototype FMG-9
    By CaptOFD92 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
  5. Interesting Reading Prototype
    By QKShooter in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Search tags for this page

p7 psp sight channel

Click on a term to search for related topics.