Summer Time and the Carryin' is Easy

This is a discussion on Summer Time and the Carryin' is Easy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Texas and the temperture here for he last couple of weeks has hovered in the mid 90s. Being retired my standard daily ...

Thread: Summer Time and the Carryin' is Easy

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell

I live in Texas and the temperture here for he last couple of weeks has hovered in the mid 90s. Being retired my standard daily uniform is shorts, T-shirts, and tennis shoes (for formal wear I change to a Polo Shirt). So hiding a pistol of any size become more than an academic exercise.

For the last fifteen or so years I've been carrying a Glock or a Sig in a Galco Butt Pack when its hot summer in the city. They have a rigid piece of plastic in them for backing and it holds the shape of the pack and doesn't allow it to lay over. I have no problem in carrying a Sig P220 or a Glock 21 in them. Since I retired, I carry a Glock 19 in one, unless I'm in one of the border towns or in Dallas, SA or Houston, then I carry a 1911.

Some say that carrying a pistol in a butt pack gives away that you're carrying. Maybe to shooters and looters, but not the average sheeple or crook. I spent 33 years dealing with crooks and most don't know the butt end from the barrel. For convience I take my chances with the one in five million that do. I know that they are not as fast to draw from as a holster on a duty belt, but I'm not as big a target as I was when I carried for the job.

So, if you haven't had the chance to try out a "quality" butt pack for concealed carry, it's something you might try. But the only butt pack I'd recommend is the one made by Galco.

Who knows? Works for me.
    At the Police Olympic Games in SA last year it looked like a butt pack convention downtown.

Jungle Work

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have two of the galco buttpacks ( in non tactical colors ) and love them as a " grab and go kit " i dont so much carry in them as use them as a handy way to store a firearm , spare mags , flashlight , and a mid to large sized folding knife that i can grab on the way out the door , or from the bedside and be fully armed up if i am in a hurry , just food for thought on another reason to use the little suckers lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I use a fanny pack holster, can't remember the brand, and it works great. I disagree with those that think it screams holster. The vast majority of people, good and bad, have no idea.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

.......unless I'm in one of the border towns or in Dallas, SA or Houston, then I carry a 1911.
    Living in North Texas - I agree with your geographic distinctions!

My neighbor has one - I've never seen it raise an eye-brow up here either - but we're old fellas.....lol

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

In my travels thro texas i have come to the conclusion that anyone who ventures south of I40 unarmed is a dammed fool . Now that i think of it they aint too smart to be north of it unarmed either LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

R&G and RR,
    I live about three miles north of the Gander Mountain Store on I-40.
    I agree totally with both of you assessments and judgements reguarding the carrying of arms.

As on the edges of the maps of olden days, I feel that anytime I leave my house, as soon as I pull out of the drive, there a sign that says, "Monsters beyond this Point".

Jungle Work

Going on the assumption that the only dumb question is one that is not asked, I'm going to ask this one:

On carrying the 'butt pack', at what position do y'all prefer it ? In front, on a particular side, or in the rear, as the term 'butt pack' refers to ?

LOL, I have one in my file cabinet full of gun stuff that I have never tried. Summertime carry here in Texas just might be a good enough reason to try it out.

Dave personaly ( when i use it as a buttpack ) i carry it with the edge of the pack about where the zipper is on my pants ( or as close as is comfortable ) with the pack running to the weak side . It works out almost a compitition crossdraw style tho the reason i do it that way is so i can easily access my front strongside pocket . Also i wear fairly loose ( the pack will hang down from the waistband an inch or two but not hip hop style LOL.

edited to add

More often for me the pack is simply pitched over my weak side sholder ( kinda carryed like a purse if you have to know lol ) since i normaly dont consider it for any long term carry.. as stated above its a " go bag " to have everything i need in one package if i have to leave the house suddenly ( especialy late night calls to the emergancy room or go bail a kid/buddy out of jail ect.. )

Dave T,
    not a stupid or dumb question at all. I carry my Galco Butt pack at about 10:37 on the clock. Just joking, I always see folks post where they wear holsters by the clock. I wear mine on my left hip, slightly forward. This presents the gun in a cross draw fashion which is good for me. There is not a speed draw with butt packs as with hip or duty belts. One must be more aware of their situation. If things ever got hinky with me, I just unzip the pack and put my hand on the grip of the gun. Nobody is going to see what I'm holding and for all they know it might be my whang. So this is just what works for me when its Hot City in the Summer. Fall, winter and spring are a different deal here in the Texas Panhandle.

Jungle Work

I have to agree with you guys. I like the Desantis discreet pouch. I carry on my right side just behind the front pocket. I like it because it is grab and go. I have tried just about every pouch/pack. This one holds the gun and I stick a mag or speedloader in. I have found with pouches/bag you tend to put too much stuff in them and it gets too heavy for extended carry. I also like the paddle option.

Desantis Gunny sak junior for my PM9. Very convenient. Weak side carry.

I've got DeSantis, Bianchi, and generic gunpacks, but I now carry 99% of the time in a Tommy's Original Gunpack at straight up 12:00. Since I've always worn my shirttails out, the pack is concealed for all practical purposes. Very comfortable and very quick access also. As JW says, you can have your hand on the butt of the pistol if you feel the need, and it's easy on and off. I've never been asked about it by anybody, including family, friends, or strangers. No worry about printing or shirttail riding up, etc. Even in winter, (short but sweet here in South Texas), it's my preferred method.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    I use a fanny pack holster, can't remember the brand, and it works great. I disagree with those that think it screams holster. The vast majority of people, good and bad, have no idea.
    I agree, I carry G26 in a leather fanny pack. Here in south florida its humid/hot 8-9 months out of the year. I have a stocky build, and haven't found a IWB holster thats comfortable with me. I have a Don Hume IWB holster, it works ok except when I sit down,especially while driving. I've had only one time while in Sams, that I feel someone figured , was suspicious what my fanny pack might be used for. He was a Fire Chief in uniform. I noticed he would look at the pack, and this happened twice during the time in passing one another while shopping. Didn't think much of it the first time, but the second look, I figured he suspected I was carrying.
    Last edited by Morpheus; June 17th, 2006 at 10:16 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    As JW says - even the butt pack, or I reckon fanny pack - or in my case Smith vest - all these things that are supposed to ''shout'' carry.

Well, I too am in the camp whereby I reckon the few that might have some idea (and they'd still be guessing) are other CCW's and cops etc. If that group knows I carry I am not overly concerned and unless they see my piece it is still not certain.

You gotta do what you gotta do - it's that simple. Bike run today - gonna be hot. So as usual - Smith vest will happily hide the SIG while not adding much extra to keep me hot.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links