I am thinking of trying a shoulder holster

I am thinking of trying a shoulder holster

This is a discussion on I am thinking of trying a shoulder holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got a Glock 27...i'm thinking of trying a shoulder holster...I figure I can wear a tshirt with another button up shirt over it.. can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: I am thinking of trying a shoulder holster

  1. #1
    Member Array sandman31774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    56

    I am thinking of trying a shoulder holster

    Just got a Glock 27...i'm thinking of trying a shoulder holster...I figure I can wear a tshirt with another button up shirt over it..
    can anyone recommend some good shoulder holsters for concealed carry? pros/cons of shoulder holsters?

    thanks


  2. #2
    New Member Array caljudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    5
    Andrews Leather Monarch.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,347
    Shoulder holsters are comfortable, but I seldom wear mine...once every couple of years.
    Here's the vertical SH I bought years ago... FIST, INC.

    I have found a comfortable OWB with a cover shirt to be the most comfortable, and useful for me...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  4. #4
    Member Array i10casual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    296
    We are making these.
    COWS Vertical Shoulder Holster <- link is to sportsman guide.
    It is thin but quality W&C leather. I'm using one for a glock 19. I find it light and stiff but should break in soon.

  5. #5
    Member Array Bandolero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman31774 View Post
    cons of shoulder holsters?
    • Ease of access to an assailant
    • Enhanced ability of an assailant to foul/prevent your draw
    • A button up shirt over it, per the original post, will make it even harder to draw in an emergency
    • It will take a little longer when drawing it to actually get the pistol pointing straight forward towards the target to where you could pull the trigger
    • Could be tough to access if you wind up on the ground chest to chest with an assailant

  6. #6
    JT
    JT is offline
    Distinguished Member Array JT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,425
    Be careful. It tends to be more difficult to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction with a shoulder rig.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  7. #7
    Member Array i10casual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    296
    They are right. I think most use these under sport jackets.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,069
    As JT suggests - drawing and holstering your weapon without crossing your own body parts takes some serious practice. Horizontal shoulder rigs allow the muzzle to cross anybody and anything behind you as you draw and holster, as well. They have their place, but I'm not a big fan for safety reasons.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Only shoulder holster I ever had was a bianchi vertical rig for my Combat Commander back in the late 70's,my off duty rig.I prefer waist carry today with all the improvements in holster design
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  10. #10
    Member Array 303british's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    350
    I use a Triple K for my Glock when doing a lot of driving or walking in the woods, not for EDC

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    As JT suggests - drawing and holstering your weapon without crossing your own body parts takes some serious practice. Horizontal shoulder rigs allow the muzzle to cross anybody and anything behind you as you draw and holster, as well. They have their place, but I'm not a big fan for safety reasons.
    I read something similar to this every so often, so I ask the following questions:

    How many substantiated cases of people getting shot while drawing or holstering with a shoulder rig can anyone come up with?

    How many substantiated cases of a bystander being shot while the gun was in a horizontal shoulder holster can anyone come up with?

    There are an awful lot of statements made as fact without anything to substantiate them - kinda like "people who OC are going to get shot by a BG before the BG does anything else."

    Quality shoulder holsters are no more "dangerous" than any other kind of holster. They are simply a specialized tool for a specialized application.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  12. #12
    Member Array sammage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Be careful. It tends to be more difficult to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction with a shoulder rig.
    Have had the luck of being next to someone in a class with a shoulder holster. Made me a bit nervous, the guy damned near muzzled half the line.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I read something similar to this every so often, so I ask the following questions:

    How many substantiated cases of people getting shot while drawing or holstering with a shoulder rig can anyone come up with?

    How many substantiated cases of a bystander being shot while the gun was in a horizontal shoulder holster can anyone come up with?

    There are an awful lot of statements made as fact without anything to substantiate them - kinda like "people who OC are going to get shot by a BG before the BG does anything else."

    Quality shoulder holsters are no more "dangerous" than any other kind of holster. They are simply a specialized tool for a specialized application.
    You pose a good question, which defies ready answers. However, let me ask if you're completely comfortable standing directly behind someone drawing from a horizontal shoulder holster, or re-holstering. Not just carrying, mind you, I'm talking about actively manipulating the gun. And not a known, safe gun handler, I mean just anybody. If you are, you're braver than I am. I don't get too nervous around people handling guns from hip holsters (such as at practical shooting games), but I *will* stand clear of someone loading or clearing a shoulder rig.

    Further, there must be some good reason why people like Jeff Gonzales, Pat Rogers, Mas Ayoob, Gabe Suarez and Clint Smith specifically don't allow shoulder holsters for even their advanced courses.

    Surely people aren't being killed wholesale because of shoulder holsters... but it's a highly specialized holster with some specific training requirements, which I don't believe are fully appreciated. The holster by itself is no more dangerous than a gun alone on a shelf; it's the human interaction that gives me reason to be concerned and to offer the "be careful" words which I did.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  14. #14
    Member Array Arisin Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Be careful. It tends to be more difficult to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction with a shoulder rig.
    In a vertical shoulder holster the muzzle is pointing down.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You pose a good question, which defies ready answers. However, let me ask if you're completely comfortable standing directly behind someone drawing from a horizontal shoulder holster, or re-holstering. Not just carrying, mind you, I'm talking about actively manipulating the gun. And not a known, safe gun handler, I mean just anybody. If you are, you're braver than I am. I don't get too nervous around people handling guns from hip holsters (such as at practical shooting games), but I *will* stand clear of someone loading or clearing a shoulder rig.

    Further, there must be some good reason why people like Jeff Gonzales, Pat Rogers, Mas Ayoob, Gabe Suarez and Clint Smith specifically don't allow shoulder holsters for even their advanced courses.

    Surely people aren't being killed wholesale because of shoulder holsters... but it's a highly specialized holster with some specific training requirements, which I don't believe are fully appreciated. The holster by itself is no more dangerous than a gun alone on a shelf; it's the human interaction that gives me reason to be concerned and to offer the "be careful" words which I did.
    I agree with this statement to a certain extent. It does require some training and attention to use, maybe more than the average holster.

    That said, I have no idea why those folks don't allow them in their classes, but IMHO, if that is what a person is going to wear on a daily basis, then logic says that's what they should be training with.

    Personally, I still don't see all that much difference between shoulder holsters and belt holsters, as far as gun-handling "dangers" are involved.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about a Springfield xd9sc, what holster do you use
    By Pkupmn98 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
  2. Thinking of making a car-mount holster
    By SpringerXD in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
  3. Shoulder Holster
    By Bud White in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 19th, 2005, 11:58 PM
  4. Never too early to start thinking about a holster
    By Euclidean in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 18th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Search tags for this page

clint smith shoulder holster
,
colt new agent shoulder holster
,
fist shoulder holster review
,
galco executive shoulder holster review
,
how to safely draw from a shoulder holster youtube
,

pros and cons of a shoulder holster

,

pros and cons of shoulder holster

,

pros and cons of shoulder holsters

,
shoulder holster colt new agent
,
shoulder holster dangerous
,

shoulder holster pros and cons

,
shoulder holster pros cons
Click on a term to search for related topics.