A question for those who carry a light as well

This is a discussion on A question for those who carry a light as well within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking of adding a light to my edc setup. My question is for those of you who also keep a light on you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for those who carry a light as well

A question for those who carry a light as well

I've been thinking of adding a light to my edc setup. My question is for those of you who also keep a light on you at all times. Do you have a weapon light mounted on your firearm or carry a separate hand held light such as a Surefire G2 or similar? If you carry a separate light, how do you carry it? Pocket, holster made for the light, or something else?

I've been considering adding on an accessory for my Raven Concealment holster that attaches to my mag carrier and can hold a Surefire light securely. They also offer a separate carrier for the light that doesn't attach to the mag carrier. This might give more options, such as not needing to carry the mag holder to have the light on my belt and also be able to conceal my spare mag when grabbing the light. However, would it be better to just stick it in my pocket and save a few bucks from something I don't necessarily need?

Or option #3, get a TLR-1 and mount it on my G23 and carry it together in a holster made to accommodate a light? There are only 2 things keeping me from going directly to this. First is the reports of problems with Glocks chambered for .40 that have lights attached. Basically there have been problems reported. Second is if I needed a light but did not want to be sweeping the area with my firearm. So I see the separate light as more versatile except that I will then be firing the gun one handed by bracing my wrist on top of my off hand holding the light if I needed both together.

So, my semi-long winded post comes to a close. Pros and cons of each anyone? Anecdotes? suggestions? And of course thanks in advance.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

DrJ
    I carry a little Coleman Max flashlight everyday. I just pocket carry it - it's not much bigger than the knife and chapstick I also carry every day. It's very bright, only cost about $25, and I use it a suprising amount. The benefits of NOT having a weapon mounted light are just that - it's frequently nice to have a flashlight on you, and you can pull it out at times when you certainly couldn't pull out your weapon. Personally, I see very little utility to a weapon-mounted light on a handgun. My 2 cents, YMMV.

DrJ

Streamlight packmate; 125 lumens LED, 5.4 inches long. get it here for $25: Streamlight Buckmaster PackMate C4 LED Flashlight with Green accessory LEDs Camo Finish

I like a seperate light as well. Mostly around my house and 3 acres. Pocket carry mostly, but i do use sometimes a pouch, here it is: http://www.blackbearhardware.com/tagmosu3cefl.html

putting a light on a pistol, makes it hard to find a holster.

I have a Surefire G2 on my AR.

I just carry a small 1 battery Fenix p2d in my pocket. Doesn't take up too much space and is light.

Right now I carry a 2 AA Fenix LD20. It's long and slender enough to use as a kubaton impact weapon as well as being a flashlight.

I do have a weapon mounted flashlight, however I only use that with the swat team or at home for my nightstand gun. I also use it when traveling and staying in hotels.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry a ultrafire 900 lumen led with three position clicky switch. High/Low/Strobe. Small enough to jacket pocket carry or belt carry. Reliable and only about $50. That amount of light is a weapon in itself.

By Brommeland...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Nite Defender Infinity, 130 Lumens in weak rear pocket. I carry this always.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Phenix PD20 clipped in my front left pocket. It's so small that I barely notice its even there.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Phenix PD20 clipped in my front left pocket. It's so small that I barely notice its even there.
    Same here...... 190 lumens
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    I carry a ultrafire 900 lumen led with three position clicky switch. High/Low/Strobe. Small enough to jacket pocket carry or belt carry. Reliable and only about $50. That amount of light is a weapon in itself.
    900 lumens/in the pocket/for $50........ Where do I get one of these?
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

I keep a Glock tac light on my G19 for home defense. Allows a free hand for the phone, light switches, door knobs, and grabbing the kids.

For carry, I use a separate light.

Sometimes, I pocket carry a Coleman Max. Other times, it's in my briefcase.

If my pockets are too full and I'm not carrying my briefcase, I carry my Surefire G2 on my belt in a horizontal kydex holster from JS Holsters.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Surefire E2D. It has a clip for the pocket.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    900 lumens/in the pocket/for $50........ Where do I get one of these?
    It's the Ultrafire C8 SSC-P7 you can google it and the prices will be $36 to $50 depending on the clicky switch . Or you can go to ebay and do a seller search for queeninchina. Angel has them listed for $58 or best offer. She sold me one for $50 and free shipping. You'll have it in ten days and it is great. The reflector gives you a wall of light rather than a long throw perfect for what I wanted. Didn't want to light up the dark side of the moon, nothing there that will hurt me.

I keep 'em separate!
    I have a Glock-36, and a SureFire L-4 Luma Max...

Working together, they will ruin your day.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links