Anyone SOB carry?

Anyone SOB carry?

This is a discussion on Anyone SOB carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a "safe queen" 642, I am thinking of starting to carry it as a BUG to my Glock 27. I was thinking of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone SOB carry?

I have a "safe queen" 642, I am thinking of starting to carry it as a BUG to my Glock 27. I was thinking of a SOB holster; but before I spend the cash I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I carry my 27 in an OWB holster on my strong side, How does a SOB holster compare? Is it painful to sit down? or drive?

Well, you've hit on a topic some will like and some will hate...I have carried for many years in an IWB/SOB holster.
    I use this... FIST, INC.

I have several of these holsters for my: EDC, a Glock-36, I also have this holster for my P-3AT, my Kimber Ultra CDP, and my Kimber Compact CDP...and one on order for my Glock-26.

It has a 'palm out' draw which is a very normal draw, and I do not have to sweep my body to draw. If you simulate the draw, you'll see...

I have found that spot on my kidney, not my spine, where the gun just tucks away. I can sit, stand and walk...the gun rides effortlessly. I know at least 4 other individuals who use this same method with a Glock-36...we all swear by it.

To each his own method...whatever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am not a fan of IWB holsters, I was looking at this:

Bottom Line

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I like retsupt have done this for years and have had no problems. To me the"palm out" is what makes it work.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I work police patrol; I hope ALL of the felons I face use SOB carry. It gives me so much tactical advantage. It slows their draw speed, and puts their arms most of the way into an arm lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I am not a fan of IWB holsters, I was looking at this:

Bottom Line
    That's a 'palm in' draw and a bit awkward for me to draw. Reach back (pretend) that the grip faces away from the spine instead of towards the spine...not on the spine but rather over the kidney, it's a natural grab.OMO, it works for me and several others I know.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I work police patrol; I hope ALL of the felons I face use SOB carry. It gives me so much tactical advantage. It slows their draw speed, and puts their arms most of the way into an arm lock.
    I'm with ya, agreed 100%.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What a excellent point, I wonder how LEOs feel about felons who carry in the 4 o'clock carry.

Does this give the same advantage as with SOB.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

no, no retention, and I dont want something that I could fall on in a fight or slip/fall directly near my spine. so thats honestly the only place i REFUSE to CC. Not saying it cant work but for the reasons mentioned I just wont.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    What a excellent point, I wonder how LEOs feel about felons who carry in the 4 o'clock carry.

no because your hands are relatively close to 4 oclock when they hang naturally SOB when your reaching back there its quite obvious. and honselty most fellons I came across...pocket carried in their pants pocket or a coat or mexican carried in thier waistband..id say 1 out of 7 actually even used a holster at all maybe less than that.

hmmm I had considered the slower draw, but not putting my arm in a bad position. I guess maybe the "safe queen" will live on.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    hmmm I had considered the slower draw, but not putting my arm in a bad position. I guess maybe the "safe queen" will live on.
    Slower draw? One can handle anything with practice. I can actually have my hand under my shirt and grab hold of my firearm in a crowd...without anyone knowing what could come into play. Can you do that with a cover shirt on the strong side?

It all boils down to practice and feeling comfortable with your carry mode. What works for one, will not for another. I'm already well into my 6th decade...I'm not really fast at anything anymore. I rely more on alertness and awareness of my surroundings.
    As long as I don't have to worry about 'shootouts at noon on main street', I'm not going to rely on having 'top' speed. Yep my draw may be a bit slower than the younger guys, but this old man trusts no one and I see everything around me. I'm aware of the danger of 'interviews', thugs in dark corners (I avoid them), and predators roaming for victims. I refuse to be a victim, and that's why I practice, take SD courses, and read all I can...it isn't a guarantee that I will come out on top, but I'm not going down without a battle.

If you haven't given it a lengthy try, don't knock it.OMO

I do carry my Glock at 4:00 in an OWB many times, and I don't feel the least bit 'shortchanged' when I carry IWB/SOB at 5:00.

Whatever works for ya'...

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post

0400 and SOB both require more lateral and/or rearward elbow motion to make the draw than a more forward-mounted rig. In private citizen clothing, I wear my primary handgun as close to the point of the hip as comfort allows. I don't carry the primary weapon in the "appendix" position, because I prefer to use the same primary carry position all the time, and my duty rig rides at 0300, or even a bit more forward.

I will sometimes wear a backup gun forward of the point of the hip, and I have been known to temporarily tuck a spare handgun in the small of my back. Temporarily.

FWIW, I don't use 0400 mostly because it tends to let the firearm to jab me in the ribs, with some designs of holsters and handguns jabbing me worse than others. 0400 works quite well for many folks, just not me. I am slim, and a bit of scoliosis offsets my upper torso to the right. (For those who pay attention to such details, yes, I am a lefty, but my primary handgun does indeed ride on my right hip, for right-hand draw. Pulling a trigger is caveman simple; my more dextrous left hand does things such as loading and running the slide.)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    0400 and SOB both require more lateral and/or rearward elbow motion to make the draw than a more forward-mounted rig. In private citizen clothing, I wear my primary handgun as close to the point of the hip as comfort allows. I don't carry the primary weapon in the "appendix" position, because I prefer to use the same primary carry position all the time, and my duty rig rides at 0300, or even a bit more forward.

I will sometimes wear a backup gun forward of the point of the hip, and I have been known to temporarily tuck a spare handgun in the small of my back. Temporarily.

FWIW, I don't use 0400 mostly because it tends to let the firearm to jab me in the ribs, with some designs of holsters and handguns jabbing me worse than others. 0400 works quite well for many folks, just not me. I am slim, and a bit of scoliosis offsets my upper torso to the right. (For those who pay attention to such details, yes, I am a lefty, but my primary handgun does indeed ride on my right hip, for right-hand draw. Pulling a trigger is caveman simple; my more dextrous left hand does things such as loading and running the slide.)
    Wow! If you don't mind me asking, how did you arrive at that carry and shooting arrangement.

Well, if you mean carrying right and shooting left, I learned handgunning with a 1911, using the Weaver stance, before ambi safeties were common, and have always tended to lead with my left side while fighting, so right-hand handgunning seemed natural enough. Keep in mind most lefties are quite ambidextrous, more or less.

If you mean the carry position itself, which is more on-topic, it was originally based more on comfort than anything else. A gun butt jammed into a seat cushion is not fun, especially if it is also shoved into one's ribs. I learned the tactical advantages of a more forward carry position later.
    Last edited by Rexster; April 10th, 2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links