Defensive Carry banner

Probably a stupid question.

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  zacii 
#1 ·
I work with teens at church, my kids are in the group, and my wife also works with them in the same group. My problem is, here in Michigan you cannot carry concealed without permission in a church. That is not the problem, I have the permission, the problem I have is that I get hugs all the time from the kids, or their parents, assistant pastor(who isn't as 2 A friendly as the senior pastor that gave me permission) and other people in the church. I normally carry at about 3:30-4:00 o'clock. I also never hug any of the kids, or adults full on, sort of off to the side, as I don't want anyone to think I am some kind of weirdo, but where should I carry this gun? I have had it bumped a few times because of this, and I don't want to freak out any of the parents if little Johnny or Julie goes home and tells them I am carrying.

I carry a Ruger SR9c IWB. Thanks for any ideas..Matt

#3 ·
What about in the summer? I always wear shorts, and they all know it. I have worked with them for 7 years now, but have only had my cpl (name it is called here) for a year. Last year I pocket carried an LCP, but I got rid of it because it was impossible to get .380 ammo around here.

#6 ·
Deep Concealment Holster is a good option. The only problem is, just like a belly band, is it can get hot in the Summer.

Another issue I found out about is if you get hugged just right you may have a follow up question, "Why are you wearing a back brace?" Easy enough to recover from, but you have to be ready with an answer.

#7 ·
Another possibility might be a Concelaed Carry fanny-pak. It never gets a second glance around here, and no one knows. :wink:

#8 ·
I usually carry either a 686 in a shoulder rig, or a Hi power at 4:00.

However, if I know I´m going into a "hug-intensive" environment (wedding, birthday, etc.), I switch to a snubbie on an IWB holster at 1:00. If someone feels it there, then you are hugging waaay too close.

#9 ·
I have similar problem with church.

Ankle holster has worked will at times and pocket carry with P3AT in pocket holster.

Most gun are just to large for deep concealment in a hugging crowd.

Might consider North American Arms 22Mag 5 shot tine pistol.

#10 ·
Maybe the parents of the children you have charge over need to know you carry a firearm. If they disagree with self defense carry and firearms in general, they have a right for their children to not be around guns. In your contact with the parents, you would explain why you carry, and that it provides additional defense for the children, too. Also explain that you have taken courses in the safe handling of firearms (if you haven't, you should), and that you have the full permission of the church authorities.

Your carry is a "secret" that won't be a secret for long in this situation, if it still is at this point. You WILL eventually be outed. If I were a parent, I'd rather know from the start that you carry than have my child come home one day and exclaim, "Hey, so-and-so carries a gun!"

My family, extended to sister and brothers-in- law, and a few close friends, all know I carry so it's unlikely one will feel my gun and wonder, "What's that?" Those are the people who are apt to hug me. I wouldn't allow physical contact from strangers, even fellow church goers. People are just a little too free with this "hugging" thing, IMO.

#12 ·
I have a similar issue, though as the senior pastor I can get away with a little more. :) I am a total hugger, so I feel your pain!

Here's what I do: hug intelligently. I carry at 9:00 because I shoot lefty. So when I go to hug, I make sure my left arm is under theirs so that their right arm hugs my neck. Problem solved. Reversing that for you, just make sure your dominant arm heads under theirs and you're good to go. Yeah there will be a few times it won't work without being awkward, and every so often someone feels something under my cover shirt. I've never had anyone ask what it is, and never been "made" at church in that mode.

And if you do get made, the senior pastor gave you permission so your posterior is covered.

Protect the flock!

#13 ·
You will want to advise the parents as soon as possible. It will save you a firestorm later. If my child was with your group, I'd have no problem with your carrying a weapon, as I protect them with one when they are with me. Good luck. :wave:

#16 ·
Actually I would not worry about it. I have had many folks at church and elsewhere give me a hug and wrap the arm right around my concealed XD. No one has ever batted an eye or ask a question. Many of these folks are not exactly 2A friendly either.

99% of the general public are not aware enough to even consider you may be carrying. If anything they assume you have a PDA or or cell phone on your hip.

#17 ·
SmartCarry or pocket carry.

If you go pocket carry, you might have to buy a new gun;

aw, shucks :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.