Concealed Carry Basics

Concealed Carry Basics

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Basics within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the CCW community and haven't bought a gun or a holster yet. I am considering a Sig 229 or 220 as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Basics

Concealed Carry Basics

I'm new to the CCW community and haven't bought a gun or a holster yet. I am considering a Sig 229 or 220 as I like the big bores but I am wondering how they would carry IWB without printing. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that the hardest part of a weapon to conceal is the handle as the barrel will go along the body so barrel length wouldn't be as big of a concern as the handle. Am I right? Thoughts? Any and all wisdom is appreciated!!!!!

You're correct that the grip poses the greatest challenge and , BTW, finger extensions will present additional issues.
    You'll probably end up with a "holster box" since most gun shops won't stock the holsters which interest you on line, and what looks good on your computer won't work like you expected. You'll have to choose your attire to facilitate concealment (larger belt/pants, looser top, etc.) and experiment with holster positions. My experience is that IBW is NOT comfortable, but is concealable and that the reverse is true of OBW.

Pick your gun, then spend time on the various forums searching for owners experiences with their holsters. And remember, you get what you pay for, usually: My most comfortable and concealable holster is a nylon belt slide worn between the belt and the pants which I got for around $20.

Ankle and shoulder rigs present both advantages and disadvantages; they seem to be so specialized that I suggest you not consider them for your initial purchase(s). Good luck and have fun with your search!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    For your first carry gun. Go with the 229, get a good LEATHER holster and practice with your firearm frequently. Taking a class and getting a permit. Doesn't make you proficient with a firearm. Practice does!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    For your first carry gun. Go with the 229, get a good LEATHER holster and practice with your firearm frequently. Taking a class and getting a permit. Doesn't make you proficient with a firearm. Practice does!!!!
    However, taking a class and getting a permit, does give you a decent foundation, outlining WHAT to practice.

For your first carry gun, shop like you shop for shoes.... if the gun you choose doesn't "feel right" in your hands, you'll never enjoy shooting it enough to become proficient with it. You can learn HOW to shoot any gun, or caliber. It's extremely difficult to convince your hands that a given firearm is comfortable enough, to shoot frequently enough, to become proficient using it.

Here, I wear this brand shoe..... are you gonna run right out and buy a pair without trying 'em on? Entirely your call.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

For your gun:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

For your method of carry:
    Try several methods. You'd be surprised at how easily even a large handgun can be concealed under a loose shirt or with a tuckable IWB.

Welcome from Central Texas!!!!

Carrying is very subjective, so do the research, and if possible shoot different pistols before putting your money down.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

los
    Find the elusive flawless functioning weapon and become proficient with it. Purchase a holster that has an appropriate cant, and you're good to go.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware.

Thanks for the responses y'all!

As far as gun selection goes, I think I'm pretty sold on Glock and Sig. I already have a Glock and of course their reputation is well known and deserved. Sig is a close second if not tied with Glock for reliability. I have shot both and figured that since I already have a Glock 22 I would go for Sig now.

As far as caliber goes, I have a 40 (thus the G22) and love it but I also like the nostalgia of the old 45. It's just a tried and true round that you gotta love.

My biggest concern is that since you can't necessarily try these holsters out before purchase, how do you find a good one that will work for you without spending an arm and a leg?

Most weapons are around 4.77inches tall in the case of G30 to about 5.5inches with Sig or 1911's. Is this small of a size difference going to make a big deal as far as CCW?

Go to the Glock and Sig forums (google them) and spend some time.

Then spend some money; your first holster(s) may not be the perfect fit for you or your wardrobe.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarpenter View Post

As far as gun selection goes, I think I'm pretty sold on Glock and Sig. I already have a Glock and of course their reputation is well known and deserved. Sig is a close second if not tied with Glock for reliability. I have shot both and figured that since I already have a Glock 22 I would go for Sig now.

As far as caliber goes, I have a 40 (thus the G22) and love it but I also like the nostalgia of the old 45. It's just a tried and true round that you gotta love.

My biggest concern is that since you can't necessarily try these holsters out before purchase, how do you find a good one that will work for you without spending an arm and a leg?

Most weapons are around 4.77inches tall in the case of G30 to about 5.5inches with Sig or 1911's. Is this small of a size difference going to make a big deal as far as CCW?
    The key to concealing is getting the right holster and finding the right position for you. I like the Crossbreed IWB's a lot and wear one daily. The same holster works well with both my XD9sc and XD40 service.

Since the grip on the .40 is a bit longer than the one of the sc positioning does change a tad.

I went with the Crossbreed after reading numerous reports from other users. I have not regret my choice at all.

I do have a couple of OWB holsters that work well depending on how I am dressed.

BTW, IWB = In Waistband (inside your pants)
    OWB = On Waistband (outside your pants)

And welcome to DefensiveCarry.com.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by afcarpenter View Post

If this is the case, QUIT READING THIS FORUM NOW!!!

I came here about a year ago a dyed in the wool Sig guy (have a P226 and love it), then spent the better part of last year going from gun to gun, falling in and out of love, it was ugly .

My point is dont rule out anything. As you stated, its hard to try out all the holsters you want, but its another thing to try out several weapons prior to purchase.

Good luck on your search, wish you the best.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

I hear what your saying basher but unfortunately I don't have the resources to get the all the guns that I truly want. Maybe someday but not now while I still have kids at home. I honestly did look around at a whole host of guns manufacturers and these are the two that I narrowed the search down to. I like the Glock...because I have one and it fits me like a glove...but the Sig 220 is probably the smoothest shooting and best fitting gun that I have ever fired. Even more than my tried and true G22...yes, I can't believe I just said that. That seems to be where I am leaning but again, I hear what your saying and this is where I am leaning AFTER much research and I still haven't taken Kimber, Springfield, and H&K off the table yet. Knowing me, I stew on this and go back and forth for about 6 months before I finally make my purchase. It drives my wife nuts!!!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You'll search a long time before you figure out what Glock is all about.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome....
    Question for you: How are you able to carry in Hawaii? I thought they were very restrictive (like NY & NJ restrictive) on permits.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links