Thumb break?

Thumb break?

This is a discussion on Thumb break? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at a couple of OWB holsters for my XDm. Trying to decide between no thumb break or thumb break. What do you think?...

View Poll Results: OWB Hoster for XDm with thumb break or not?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • With thumb break

22 24.44%
  • Without thumb break

68 75.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb break?

Thumb break?

I'm looking at a couple of OWB holsters for my XDm. Trying to decide between no thumb break or thumb break. What do you think?
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Properly designed and executed holsters will not need a thumb break. LEOs and open carryers may benefit from them but from the concealed position there should be reason for one.

Generally speaking most holsters will have very good retention qualities and be fairly snatch proof even.

Go with a Pure Kustom holster. You cannot pull this firearm from it unless you are wearing it! No thumb break needed!! Highest quality, unbeatable retention, and outstanding customer service! Heres a pic of me with my Pure Kustom with a XDm40

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Go with a Pure Kustom holster. You cannot pull this firearm from it unless you are wearing it! No thumb break needed!! Highest quality, unbeatable retention, and outstanding customer service! Heres a pic of me with my Pure Kustom with a XDm40

I'll second the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster, the only problem, mine is ordered and I'm in the waiting mode!

Depends.... you are talking OWB... so it wouldn't really hurt and help if anyone ever tried to pull it out of your holster in a struggle, or by suprise, etc.

Thumb breaks are often slammed, but in reality, they do not slow down drawing your gun at all if done right. As you go to pull the gun... thumb on that side pushes down and unsnaps it as you take ahold of the gun and pull it out. Too many people think you have to intentionally take a whole separate action to unsnap, then pull the gun... not true at all. It's all one motion and no different than if the snap isnt' there ... other than your thunb has to be there as you grab the gun .... to me, it's habit, so it's a non-issue.

Get which one you feel comfortable with, and if you want a thumb break and aren't accustomed to it, then just practice drawing all in one motion.... with your thumb going down on that side to release it as you are putting your hand on the gun to pull it.

i reccomend the thumb break, that way it will not accidently fall out or be snatched away easily. just gotta be sure to practice holster drawing alot so it becomes muscle memory to use the thumb break
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I recommend the thumb break also. If you ever get into a fight (fist or other) you would want that extra protection. My CC holster is the same holster that I work in (I have to OC) so it has a thumb break.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

los
    If you don't OC, no need for a thumb break.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ditto on Earlthegoat. If the holster is made properly, no need for a thumb break under normal everyday carry. Exceptions might include horse back riding. A holster tightens as it is cinched on to a OWB belt. Even more so on IWB. Breaks are just one extra step to a draw although may seem routine to a well practice carrier. (most are not well practiced!) This however is a very personal, psychological decision. You must feel comfortable with the way you carry. If a thumb break is piece of mind for you, get it. Any competent holster maker can easily add it to just about any style for very little additional cost.
    Rob

www.BiancheriUSA.com

The only holsters with thumb breaks that I own are outdoor, woods, brush busting, OWB holsters where the gun can get "rubbed" by brush tree limbs, vines, etc. Other than that, thumb breaks are just not necessary.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    The only holsters with thumb breaks that I own are outdoor, woods, brush busting, OWB holsters where the gun can get "rubbed" by brush tree limbs, vines, etc. Other than that, thumb breaks are just not necessary.
    Same here.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

No thumb break. Like others have said, a good holster already has sufficient retention. The thumb break will just slow down and get in the way of a good presentation.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

sgb
    Thumb break holsters are obsolete old tech
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I vote without thumb break on holsters for civilians other than the shoulder holsters where it is necessary. IMO, a thumb break only adds time. With the right holster and right mindset, a thumb break holster doesn't add any security over an open top. If you need something in the way of extra retention, and you're unsure of your abilities or selection of gear, then try something like a Serpa holster IMO. Please read what I've written before you disagree.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Thumb breaks don't slow you down if you train with them.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links