MC5 vs. CrossBreed

MC5 vs. CrossBreed

This is a discussion on MC5 vs. CrossBreed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I sold my CTAC today as I just couldnt get it to fit the way I wanted (maybe it was the kydex I wasnt ...

Thread: MC5 vs. CrossBreed

MC5 vs. CrossBreed

Well, I sold my CTAC today as I just couldnt get it to fit the way I wanted (maybe it was the kydex I wasnt liking). That leaves me a little extra play money, and I want to get a new holster.

I already have my VM2, but would like something slightly slimmer to try as well. My choice is narrowed down to:

1) The Crossbreed "SuperTuck" ($50): http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

2) The MaxConV Service Grade ($70)

Both are slimmer than my VM2, both have a more comfortable leather backing than the CTAC I didnt like.

What are everyone's thoughts between the two choices? On one hand, the MC5 is very similar to my VM2, yet thinner; while the SuperTuck is super thin (as its thin leather and kydex) and a different construction type altogether from the VM2 and MC5..)

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the crossbreed, other than looking at the pics on the net. For some reason, kydex just doesn't appeal to me at all. I have an MCV service grade and one of the higher end ones, and wouldn't trade for any other holster out there. I would bet that the leather used on the MCV is probably not any thicker than the kydex. I would guess the leather is maybe 1/16 or 3/32" thick. The MCV is a GREAT holster.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

PJH
    I have both. I just got my Service Grade MC V, and have had the Crossbreed for around 6 months, although mine was one of the original IWB models that I had Mark retrofit to the adjustable version for me.

The CB is pretty comfortable, but, at least for me, the mounting attachments are not as secure as I'd like, and the cant is less than I'd like. The Crossbreed would be particularly useful if you had, for example, a G26 and G19, as both guns could use the same holster.

Having said that, I don't remember the last time I wore the Crossbreed, while the MC V has become my daily carry holster. The quality is worth far more than the $70 that Gary charges, and it is a very secure and concealable rig.

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PJH
    Having said that, I don't remember the last time I wore the Crossbreed, while the MC V has become my daily carry holster. The quality is worth far more than the $70 that Gary charges, and it is a very secure and concealable rig.
    Great info, Paul. I was hoping there might be someone with both holsters.

Can you speak to how much thicker the MC5 is than the CB? (In terms of overall material and feel when worn) Does the MC5 feel noticeably, if at all, thicker than the CB?

Thanks again.

I'm not familiar with the Crossbreed but I just don't care for kydex holsters as a general rule. I've got both grades of Max-Con V for my 5" Mil-Spec as well and they're easily the most comfortable and secure IWB holsters I've ever used. I can (and have) carried my Mil-Spec for up to 18 hours a day with no noticeable fatigue from the weight of it.

My wife and I just took a trip to Tunica, MS for our anniversary and I was completely comfortable for the entire trip (6 hours down due to a blown tire and 4 hours back). No way to make a mistake buying Gary's gear, it's just that good. Both the Presentation and Service Grades are worth far more than their price tags.

I don't see myself buying any other IWB as long as Gary can run that stitcher and they keep making cows.
    Jack

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee
    Great info, Paul. I was hoping there might be someone with both holsters.

Can you speak to how much thicker the MC5 is than the CB? (In terms of overall material and feel when worn) Does the MC5 feel noticeably, if at all, thicker than the CB?

Thanks again.
    Well, looking at them side by side, there doesn't seem to be much difference; the MC V may be thicker ( I don't have any precision measuring tools on hand) but the CB actually looks thicker due to the Kydex construction being slightly less molded to the gun's shape (both rigs I have are for a Glock 19/23).

As for feel when worn, this is obviously subjective. Both are comfortable, but I can't honestly say either one makes the gun "go away".

The CB backing is made of much softer leather riveted to the Kydex, therefore it will "mold" more to your body, which may be good or bad. On me, my "surplus nutrient storage system" pushs the top of the backing away slightly. The CB is more adjustable, and could be worn in more spots on the waist than the MC V.

Personally, though both are well made, and I'd buy either again, if I could only have one, and I only wanted to carry one pistol in it, I'd go for the MC V, but for reasons that, again are pretty subjective:

1. I prefer leather to Kydex.
    2. I feel the belt loops on the MC V are more stable and secure than the clips on the CB.
    3. I am VERY impressed with the quality of Gary's work. The MC V looks better, and more important, looks like it will hold up to everyday use better.
    4. I prefer the full coverage of the MC V to the open bottom of the CB.

YMMV.

-Paul

Sponsored Links