How the heck do you carry a spare mag?

This is a discussion on How the heck do you carry a spare mag? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking something that looks like this (cross section) light blue being jeans, dark blue pouch, black mag, green shirt, yellow body, brown belt in case ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How the heck do you carry a spare mag?

Thinking something that looks like this (cross section)
    light blue being jeans, dark blue pouch, black mag, green shirt, yellow body, brown belt

in case i didnt make it clear: this would me cloth, so not rigid, but would be fairly loose, so that the mag just slips out.
    any concerns or suggestions about this particular idea?
    Attached Images
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

yea, especially having girl pockets (ei. small), and carrying my cell, wallet, knife, and flashlight in them, i pretty much dont have room for any kind of pocket carry. Thats why I like this idea of making my own little cloth pocket.

I carry my kimber in a ctac holster. works really well. would probably get the mtac now that they have those if i chose again, but it works great. its at the best angle i can find and hugs nice and close
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    my wife gives me points for good ideas...in 40 years of marriage, I have 2 points :)
    Not to digress but that reminds me of a good one: "When we got married, my wife and I agreed that I would make all of the major decisions, and she would make all of the minor ones. After 17 years of marriage, they have all been 'minor' decisions..."

I carry my spare mag in a front pocket, whether shorts or pants. Can't carry anything else in that pocket, but I do keep a Spyderco Delica Wave clipped there. Occasionally have to clean the mag due to pocket lint...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Thinking something that looks like this (cross section)
    light blue being jeans, dark blue pouch, black mag, green shirt, yellow body, brown belt

in case i didnt make it clear: this would me cloth, so not rigid, but would be fairly loose, so that the mag just slips out.
    any concerns or suggestions about this particular idea?
    The mag itself will be rigid, and I think a bit of cardboard sewn into the pouch would make removal of the mag a bit easier. Without any sort of stiffener, the material will have a tendancy to "bunch up" when you try to withdraw it..... visualize taking off a glove or sock holding only at the open end....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

yea, ill obvsiouly have to test it out. i expect it to bunch up a smidge or turn inside out when i draw, but not in a way that will keep me from easily drawing.
    I dont really care if i need to resituate the pouch after I draw as long as it draws cleanly
    Georg Büchner

los
    Does your normal/daily attire consist of wearing slacks/jeans....or shorts/skirts?

If you wear slacks/jeans most of the time, you may want to consider purchasing or making an ankle mag rig.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

As I recall, Milt Sparks makes an IWB mag pouch that sits quite low, and I think Mitch Rosen does, too. I tried IWB mag carry for awhile with an older Sparks design, and despite the fact that IWB carry of the gun is no problem for me, I had trouble getting used to the IWB mag pouch on the other side. Don't know why. Anyway, I discovered that the Rosen pouches, and later, the Brommeland ones, would hide under clothing just as light as would the IWB carrier.

normally jeans/slacks, but sometimes shorts.
    could try an ankle rig if nothin else works true.
    i think that would be a bit annoying though (in comparison with somethin on my hip)
    Georg Büchner

cmb
    I wouls second the ankle mag rig, I use a cut down belly band, for an ankle holster and mag holder...

primarily I have gone exculsively to cargo pants for daily use, except when I need a suit, then I have other options anyway...

IDEA: you may be able to sew a pocket into your bra strap which goes right under your arm, you basically would only need a cotton pocketthe bra going around your chest could provide the securing, the weight could be a factor but a good bra (without the thin shoulder straps) should provide ample support for everything, could do both sides to balance if necessary...

Distinguished Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    I just use my front pocket. I make sure its clean and never use the front left pocket for anything but my magazine.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Get a horizontal mag carrier.

Galco.

Safariland $15.00

I use a cell phone carrier. I think it is for the motarola Droid. Allmost made for a 7 round mag and cheap to boot.

Lead Moderator
    Try a horizontal nylon or leather knife sheath which has a flap.

I mean, is there a reason a magazine carrier can not be visible or print if you don't know there's a pistol magazine in it?

I knew a firefighter who carried a NAA mini revolver inside a buck knife sheath right out in the open on his belt for at least 10 or 12 years before ccw was even legal in this state. No one ever had a light bulb go off and think there was anything other than a knife in that sheath. I mean it even had BUCK embossed with gold foil right on the front of the case.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    That gun being a single stack means slim small magazines. Have you looked at nicer leather holsters that have a mag pouch built in?

Seems to me that if you can conceal the weapon with your casual dress then adding a magazine to that same side should make no difference?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

My wife bemoans the shallowness of women's pants pockets and now simply shops for men's pants. Deeper pockets, problem solved. If you're handy with a sewing machine, consider replacing a pocket, or extending it, in favorite pants.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links