High Noon "Public Secret"

This is a discussion on High Noon "Public Secret" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I just completed my first outing with High Noon's "public secret". So far, I am impressed. I went to Lowe's to buy a bunch ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Noon "Public Secret"

Administrator

Well, I just completed my first outing with High Noon's "public secret". So far, I am impressed. I went to Lowe's to buy a bunch of heavy yard supplys. I spent the better part of an hour loading and unloading bags of dirt, mulch and fertilizer in the cart and truck. I also spread some fertilizer and pulled weeds in the yard. In all, I wore the holster for about 4 hours while working in the yard and shopping. Seemed like a good initial test to me.

I did switched it up from my normal appendix carry to a 4 o'clock, the holster seems much better suited for that position. There is a slight "twist" that make the grip protrude outward for us flatter stomached guys, but at the 4 position, it holds the entire gun nice and snug into my body. Draws and reholsters are very smooth with a positive return. One handed, no looking returns are very easy. It is very tight, but its new leather and that is to be expected.

I don't think I had to adjust or reposition the gun once during my outing. That is a lot different than the CompTac's I have been using. Everything felt nice, secure and snug. Driving was no problem. The trip was very comfortable with this holster. I didn't try drawing from a seated position though, I'll have to do that and add it later.

As I stated in the "Sixto Project" thread, I goofed on ordering the belt. I am using my old custom Amish made leather gun belt. It works well, but I really need to try out High Noon's belt. No matter though, the Public Secret is far more comfortable than my MTac or CTac that I'd typically use for my 228. The holster and its robust clip provides plenty of support for the gun as is. It's going to be great once I get the "Rock Steady" belt going.

More to come later. I'm off to work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hi Sixto, thanks for the report, keep safe.

VIP Member
    Good review, thanks

Have a safe, hopefully uneventful day at work.

Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

good to hear the good comments!

edit, question, did u get the one with the straps or the clip?

Suscribing to this thread. Very pleased with your choice of High Noon, for your project. Looking forward to pics!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Did you get the clip or the straps version......can you speak to the quality of the fit, tightness, etc? Any chance you can post a pic of you wearing it?

I like the rough out holsters and it looks nice on their site.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Suscribing to this thread. Very pleased with your choice of High Noon, for your project. Looking forward to pics!
    Pics are coming, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    good to hear the good comments!

edit, question, did u get the one with the straps or the clip?
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Did you get the clip or the straps version......can you speak to the quality of the fit, tightness, etc? Any chance you can post a pic of you wearing it?

I like the rough out holsters and it looks nice on their site.
    I got the clip. Speaking of the clip, this thing is more robust that any other clip I've seen. Its thin and lightweight, yet super strong. It really grabs on to the belt. I stop short at saying its tough to take on and off, but it defiantly is not coming off unintended. Alex at High Noon mentioned that this is the clip the are using on the holsters they sell to the special forces guys. If they are happy with it, I'm sure its good enough for us here at home. One thing I have noticed on one of my older High Noon's is that the finish on the clip is wearing, right where the metal folds over. It doesn't bother me at all, but somebody who is a little retentive might be bothered by that.

Just to see if it could do it, I clipped the holster to my pants with no belt. It still gave a positive hold on my pants. I don't recommend somebody carry that way, but it did work. The clip is very tight... Nice job there.

The pistol fits very nicely, with no wiggle at all in the holster. High Noon did a great job molding the holster for a very positive fit. The gun is very snug and secure inside the holster. The leather is very firm and well reinforced where it needs to be. The Public Secret does has a tension screw to adjust, I haven't messed with mine yet. I like it as is. I;m sure as the leather breaks in a little, this adjustment will be important.

Another unique feature that I noticed is the sight channel. Normal holsters have just a molded strips tacked in, High Noon is using a one piece molded track that is sewn in. Now, that doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really is. On their website, they do a good job explaining it here;
    Phony Site Track

Some of the problems they point out have happened to me with different brands. I never thought much about it other than it being the part of the price of carrying a pistol. High Noon went out of their way to solve a problem and made a nice 'Cadillac feature' built into their holsters.

So far, my initial impression is this is a high quality holster with a lot of important and unique features for not a whole lot of money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Looks like a decent rig. I'm looking at a couple models from High Noon right now as a spare rig for a couple guns I haven't carried in a while because I don't have a decent holster for them.

Thanks for the write up!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It looks like a nice rig. Does having only one clip make it less stable on the belt with a handgun as large as a 228? I would think that it would have some wobble when moving around compared to a holster with support in front and behind like the MTAC.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    It looks like a nice rig. Does having only one clip make it less stable on the belt with a handgun as large as a 228? I would think that it would have some wobble when moving around compared to a holster with support in front and behind like the MTAC.
    I would have thought that so too, but that just isn't the case. I think if it was a lesser clip, then yeah, it wouldn't be very stable. But, combined with a proper gun belt, the wide, strong clip provides more than adequate tension to hold things in place. I do think a belt is key here though. I probably would not be as confident saying all this to guys who refuse to wear a gun belt and think a department store cheap belt is fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would have thought that so too, but that just isn't the case. I think if it was a lesser clip, then yeah, it wouldn't be very stable. But, combined with a proper gun belt, the wide, strong clip provides more than adequate tension to hold things in place. I do think a belt is key here though. I probably would not be as confident saying all this to guys who refuse to wear a gun belt and think a department store cheap belt is fine.
    Makes sense. I agree, a good belt is key. Thanks for the review
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    You're welcome. I got more review coming, but I'm in the middle of a busy tour. Not much time to write anything but work stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

[QUOTE=SIXTO;1582089]Pics are coming, I promise.

Another unique feature that I noticed is the sight channel. Normal holsters have just a molded strips tacked in, High Noon is using a one piece molded track that is sewn in. Now, that doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really is. On their website, they do a good job explaining it here;
    Phony Site Track

They do make nice holsters. However that bit of advertising regarding their new sight channel puts me off a bit. They spend a lot of time denigrating other makers for using stitched in sight channels, which when properly done present none of the problems they alude to and work nicely. Their new version, while it may work, looks suspiciously like a piece of stitched in weather stripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    Phony Site Track

They do make nice holsters. However that bit of advertising regarding their new sight channel puts me off a bit. They spend a lot of time denigrating other makers for using stitched in sight channels, which when properly done present none of the problems they alude to and work nicely. Their new version, while it may work, looks suspiciously like a piece of stitched in weather stripping.
    I thought the same thing about the weatherstripping, but if it works, then it works...not sure it is a better mousetrap but what they heck.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post

I don't care if it weather stripping or not, as long as it works. If it is in fact simply weather stripping, I think that's awesome. That is a fine example of good old fashioned American ingenuity hard at work.
    Some of the issues they talk about have happened to me with other leather holsters. I didn't think much of it at the time, I just thought of it more of a price of doing business. But, if High Noon has come up with a solution to even the most minor of annoyances or problems, I think it is worth mentioning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links