Defensive Carry banner

OWB Hi ride or Low ??

7K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  los 
#1 ·
I am looking for an OWB holster for a S&W 40 compact. I was wondering if a high riding holster allows for a closer to body fit than low? Or which of the 2 better conceals?

I am think of getting one with pull dots as opposed to belt slots for easy on/off.

#2 ·
Why don't you take a look at the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro? This holster can be worn IWB, OWB, Hi, Low, different cants,etc. A total of 23 different positions, and it's a work or art in leather. If you want a holster, get a real one that you will be proud to wear. JMO!

Dave M.:wave:

#3 ·
In my experience, a high ride provides a closer body fit, but for concealed I much prefer an IWB. An OWB is going to print under anything but a loose fitting jacket or one that has been tailored to give more material on the strong side.

#4 ·
Low ride will conceal better because most of the gun is below the waistline. BUT you want to watch not to get it too low or you cant get enough of a grip on it to draw it well/right/properly. I cant stand high ride holsters to be honest...but again some that claim to be 'high" ride are to me just "normal" but some that are high ride...really are and seem to put the grip up in the middle of your ribcage(if you carry between 3-430) and thats just uncomfortable. Man I just saw you said OWB lol...sorry im talking about IWB..I never OWB carry unless im at the range...oops guess I need to learn to read closer.

#9 ·
In general, a high ride does tend to hug the body tighter and conceal better. If it is too high without support, it can flop outwards. A good, stiff belt helps. I'm not aware of any high riding holsters that have snap loops. Most that I've seen are low to medium.
I have a Rusty Sherrick US High Ride for my G30 that rides very high & tight. Similar designs are made by Rosen and Bulman. Nate at UBG also makes a good one called the Bonneville.

#14 ·
The lower the ride and the least amount of cant....is the fastest draw. The military hangs those 9mm's thigh high for a reason. Same as they did in the old West. Sure it "prints"...so what? Getting to YOUR gun first, smooth and fast is what will save your life. The least amount of motion is critical when fractions of seconds counts.

#16 ·
High Rides require a very good belt. If you don't it won't be comfortable because it will flop out. If you have shoulder problems, a high ride is not the way to go.

A standard/low ride holster with the barrel below the belt will help push in the top of the holster. I carry my 40c in a low to mid rise OWB pancake called The Slide.

Note: I have The Slide in stock for RH in Bk 15 deg cant 1.5" belt. :yup:

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/TheSlide.htm

#17 ·
I prefer low ride, no cant, carry at 9:00 o'clock (I'm a lefty). I don't like feeling like a monkey trying to scratch my underarm with the same hand when trying to draw. My loose, untucked shirts are long enough to usually conceal the barrel, and my main carry holster covers the barrel completely, so you can't really tell it's a gun. Could be a cell phone or other electronic device.

#20 ·
Hey Redtail, got your message and just now found which holster you meant... that's a Milt Sparks Model 60TK. It's the best "high ride' I've owned. :wink:

#24 ·
Depends on:
Your body shape,
How high you wear your belt (relative to hip),
What position do you wear it (2:00-3:00-4:00 etc.)
Belt and how tight you wear it,
How the holster is actually designed (outward or inward slant).

When you find the right one, you'll know it.. Until then get a place to keep the rejects...:image035: LOL

bosco

#25 ·
I second the recommendation for Side Guard Holsters. Erik made me a Side Snap design for my M&P40 and what he calls a minimal clip for my G27. Excellent work, I love my snap holster for the M&P, I would say it is a low/mid ride, perfect for easy on and off; yet stable when attached to my Beltman belt. No full-size duty pistol with a double stack mag is going to be "easy" to conceal, however I would elect comfort over an occasional printing any day. Most of the sheeple have no idea what that bulge is when you bend over at Walmart any way. Just my .02 YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.