OWB Hi ride or Low ??

This is a discussion on OWB Hi ride or Low ?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for an OWB holster for a S&W 40 compact. I was wondering if a high riding holster allows for a closer to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB Hi ride or Low ??

OWB Hi ride or Low ??

I am looking for an OWB holster for a S&W 40 compact. I was wondering if a high riding holster allows for a closer to body fit than low? Or which of the 2 better conceals?

I am think of getting one with pull dots as opposed to belt slots for easy on/off.

2. Remove Ads

Why don't you take a look at the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro? This holster can be worn IWB, OWB, Hi, Low, different cants,etc. A total of 23 different positions, and it's a work or art in leather. If you want a holster, get a real one that you will be proud to wear. JMO!

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I am looking for an OWB holster for a S&W 40 compact. I was wondering if a high riding holster allows for a closer to body fit than low? Or which of the 2 better conceals?

I am think of getting one with pull dots as opposed to belt slots for easy on/off.
    In my experience, a high ride provides a closer body fit, but for concealed I much prefer an IWB. An OWB is going to print under anything but a loose fitting jacket or one that has been tailored to give more material on the strong side.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Low ride will conceal better because most of the gun is below the waistline. BUT you want to watch not to get it too low or you cant get enough of a grip on it to draw it well/right/properly. I cant stand high ride holsters to be honest...but again some that claim to be 'high" ride are to me just "normal" but some that are high ride...really are and seem to put the grip up in the middle of your ribcage(if you carry between 3-430) and thats just uncomfortable. Man I just saw you said OWB lol...sorry im talking about IWB..I never OWB carry unless im at the range...oops guess I need to learn to read closer.

los
    A good gun belt should be considered as it will also assist with concealment and comfort carry, specially when utilizing OWB hi-ride rigs.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Why don't you take a look at the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro? This holster can be worn IWB, OWB, Hi, Low, different cants,etc. A total of 23 different positions, and it's a work or art in leather. If you want a holster, get a real one that you will be proud to wear. JMO!

Dave M.
    Thanks. However according to their site it is only 1 position for OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    In my experience, a high ride provides a closer body fit, but for concealed I much prefer an IWB. An OWB is going to print under anything but a loose fitting jacket or one that has been tailored to give more material on the strong side.
    Thanks. I already have a IWB I like. Now I want a OWB.

I use a Desantis OWB high-rise holster for my CC. my Walther PK380 hides quite nicely in this holster. Check them out.
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

kpw
    In general, a high ride does tend to hug the body tighter and conceal better. If it is too high without support, it can flop outwards. A good, stiff belt helps. I'm not aware of any high riding holsters that have snap loops. Most that I've seen are low to medium.
    I have a Rusty Sherrick US High Ride for my G30 that rides very high & tight. Similar designs are made by Rosen and Bulman. Nate at UBG also makes a good one called the Bonneville.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I just got a holster from Akers leather. It is the side snap holster and I am very pleased with the holster for the price. Igot it shipped to me for a total of $68.00. Yuo can see the holsters that are available at www.akerleather.com They do not sell to the public only thru dealers.

I have a snap side, I carry it on a separate belt, and have the belt to the outside of the holster this pulls the gun tight against the body. With this setup I can wear it high, low and any way around the clock.

check out Sideguard Holsters. He has a "slide" and a higher type slide. I would go for a "slide".
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Thank you all for your input. much appreciated.

The lower the ride and the least amount of cant....is the fastest draw. The military hangs those 9mm's thigh high for a reason. Same as they did in the old West. Sure it "prints"...so what? Getting to YOUR gun first, smooth and fast is what will save your life. The least amount of motion is critical when fractions of seconds counts.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    I prefer high ride.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links