IWB question clip vs strap

This is a discussion on IWB question clip vs strap within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two of the same high noon holsters, one strap and one clip...not sure which one I like better. In other words, what are ...

I have two of the same high noon holsters, one strap and one clip...not sure which one I like better. In other words, what are the pros and cons of clip vs leather straps with snaps?..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    I have two of the same high noon holsters, one strap and one clip...not sure which one I like better. In other words, what are the pros and cons of clip vs leather straps with snaps?..thanks
    Just an opinion - I find the leather straps more secure than the metal clip.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just an opinion - I find the leather straps more secure than the metal clip.
    Exactly. I don't like the clip on my bare asset, its way to long and causes the holster to slide around. I'd like to try it with the leather straps but I'm trying out a Raven Concealment right now.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I think it varies a great deal depending on the design of the attachment. Myself I prefer clips, easy on and off, secure enough and I generally don't have any complaints with them(speaking of my own gear). Some other clips I've got I don't care for because they aren't sized for the belts I wear or just of a bad design. An example would be my KaBar TDI I couldn't stand the way that clipped to my belt. The first week or so that I carried it I made a new sheath for it. So I think it varies allot by the clips themselves. One downside to clips though is they are prone to breakage eventually. Anytime you flex material, metal or kydex or whatever it's going to break at some point.

Leather loops are good but to be honest they are a little tougher to get on and off the belt for me, and I don't care for the look of them. It's a personal preference but I also don't find them to be more secure in my application so for my purposes I always carry with clips, and lately actually kydex clips.

Luke

Questions

Hope that helps
    Justin

In general, clips are oversized for most belts (1.75" vs belts of 1.5") so they will move around. The other thing is the clips can get caught on things and bend. Can run without a belt at time or place the clip behind the belt which can be positive.

So the flip side, leather loops with snaps are more secure, made to fit exact as long as the holster maker give that option, won't get caught on things but one down side for many people is you MUST wear a belt. The loops also are thicker than a clip and if they don't match the belt well will stand out more for tuckable versions vs the clip.

For my customers, they go the leather loop with snaps 60% of the time compared to clips.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks for the replies!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you wear a thick leather gun belt, most clips tend to not fit over it very well...I use a wilderness belt which is stiff, but thin, so my clip fits over it fine.

Links