Simply Rugged Sourdough Review (pic heavy)

This is a discussion on Simply Rugged Sourdough Review (pic heavy) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got into the office this morning and sitting on my desk was a USPS Express Mail box from Prescott Arizona. Inside was a Simply Rugged ...

Thread: Simply Rugged Sourdough Review (pic heavy)

Simply Rugged Sourdough Review (pic heavy)

Got into the office this morning and sitting on my desk was a USPS Express Mail box from Prescott Arizona.

Inside was a Simply Rugged Sourdough for my 2.5" Dan Wesson 14-2.

First impressions are that its a well stitched, nice heavy leather, well moldeed holster (and I happen to dig the color).

So I stuffed my roscoe in the leather. It was pretty tight (but it'll be fine after spending the night with my gun in a plastic bag stuffed in it).

I put the holster on and it fit nice.

But all along the plan was to convert it to an IWB with spring steel belt clips so I mounted the clips

and here it is in the pants

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Its well made and should last longer than I do. I've read comments by others claiming that the quality of Simply Rugged holsters has slipped over the years, if thats the case the early ones must be freakin' awesome.

Leather gun holster, concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged Holsters? - Proudly made in the USA

2. Remove Ads

los
    Nice rig. Looks well made. How in the wide world of sports did you mount the metal clips?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Drill a hole in the back side of the clip (which is a pain because the spring steel is HARD ... I need to invest in a drill press).

Mount them in the belt slots (so very adjustable) using Chicago Screws and big washers.

los
    Hey, that's pretty cool.

A kit like that would virtually make all OWB rigs easily transformable to IWB carry.

Hmmmm. Why don't you make them, sell them, and name them "Transformers" ...??
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Very nice. I would like to see a picture of the revolver out of the holster.

Nice looking rig! I like the color of the leather too!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Very nice. I would like to see a picture of the revolver out of the holster.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

(actually the finish looks better in person. This isn't really a photo ... I tossed the gun up on the flat bed scanner at work for this one so it looks rather posterized)

Nice review. I love my DW Model 14. I've debated about getting a 2.5" barrel (just have the 4"). So I haven't attempted to CC it. How do those small grips work with controlling it with .357mag? I've played around with reshaping grips for mine.

Hidden Defense: A Stone Grip! ...No Not Really
    Hidden Defense: Getting a Grip! Reshaping Revolver Grips
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Loks great...I am thinking of getting one for my S&W K frame 66...but why didnt you just buy the $15 straps for IWB carry that they offer? Just curious.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I simply prefer clips over loops. I feel they hold the gun more stationary and support the weight better (the loops flex) also the loops are bulkier.

But yeah, if you like loops, the little bit extra Simply Rugged charges for the loops is definitely worth it.

ev239, I haven't shot the gun since I put these grips on it ... I suspect I'm going to need to modify a set of Tyler T-Grips to go with the small DW grips.

Here's a bit of photoshop gunsmithing:

Ah, that was YOU that did the wooden Pachmayr style grips ... I've linked to your blog post in a couple of discussions of DW grips on other forums ... nice job, those look purdy.

I wouldn't think packing a 4" Model 14 IWB would be any worse than packing a full size auto ... get you a Sourdough and pack that boy!

So please give me some more info on the sourdough (it is on the short list of holsters for me, ilike the idea of cross draw if desired).

It looks like a "sloppy/lose" fit...is that just how it looks as opposed to how it really works?

It looks big...is it just because of the shape that it looks that way? i have a SideGuard for my PPS and was going this way for the "form fit" look but really want what works best for my K frame...thoughts?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Its not sloppy or loose at all (in fact it was a little too tight ... but stretching with the gun in a plastic bag has loosened it up to where it fits about perfect, I imagine it'll break in nicely).

Overall its a pretty rigid leather holster.

It looks large because its a big gun. A Dan Wesson model 14-2 is about the size of a S&W L frame (slightly larger actually). As a frame of reference, my belt is 1.5" wide.

The Sourdough's overall "less form fit" shape is nice as it hides the shape of the gun well. It also comes up a little higher on the gun than a lot of other pancake holsters (so I imagine it would need to be trimmed if you had a Crimson Trace grip), but this is part of the reason I choose it because I wanted the gun well covered (so I didn't need a shield between my body and the gun. The hammer won't be jamming me in the ribs).

Nice rig...multi-purpose, that's good!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have one for my taurus 357 and LOVE it. I added the loops so i can wear it Iwb and Owb. WELL Worth the money

Links