Leather holster...but what about bad weather?

This is a discussion on Leather holster...but what about bad weather? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all love our custom leather holsters and mag carriers right? I don't worry about my firearm in the rain, it's a Glock. However, what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather holster...but what about bad weather?

We all love our custom leather holsters and mag carriers right? I don't worry about my firearm in the rain, it's a Glock. However, what about the leather holster? If it gets wet in adverse weather conditions what do we do?

Rainy season is coming up here in FL, not long from now it will rain almost every single day like clockwork. So what do you do to keep that leather rig going?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

If the leather is sealed properly I don't see a problem with it getting a little wet. Plus I am sure you aren't going to leave it exposed to a degree to let it get too wet. You have more a chance of it getting wet from perspiration than rain. Again, as long as it is sealed by the maker, it shouldn't be an issue.

I put a sealer on all of my holsters and you can run it under water, not forever, and it beads off.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    We all love our custom leather holsters and mag carriers right? I don't worry about my firearm in the rain, it's a Glock. However, what about the leather holster? If it gets wet in adverse weather conditions what do we do?

Rainy season is coming up here in FL, not long from now it will rain almost every single day like clockwork. So what do you do to keep that leather rig going?
    Unless you're standing out in the rain waiting to get soaked, your holster should already be covered (a CC state). Why would you be getting your holster 'soaked'? I've been in some pretty strong FL rains, but my firearm and holster stay dry. I'm just askin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Unless you're standing out in the rain waiting to get soaked, your holster should already be covered (a CC state). Why would you be getting your holster 'soaked'? I've been in some pretty strong FL rains, but my firearm and holster stay dry. I'm just askin'...
    Marine environment for example. (still in state waters)

You're probably right though, it's covered anyway for most things. I'm just thinking about being on the boat mostly. Is this where I should just use a Kydex holster instead?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member
    Things that get wet out there usually don't dry right because of the salt. Honestly for this reason I'd get Kydex so you don't expose the firearm to moisture all the time.

What do I know though, I've done my time at sea but not carried a firearm.

Administrator
    A Glock is no more impervious to the elements that any other decent brand of pistol out side of aesthetics. Please do not make that mistake, it can be a deadly one.
    Other than that, I would not worry about getting your holster wet, unless you plan on drying it in the microwave or something like that. I'm sure some of the holster makers will be better able to answer that question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

To answer the OP question, Obenauf's Leather Care Products, I use it on all of my leather goods.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    To answer the OP question, Obenauf's Leather Care Products, I use it on all of my leather goods.
    Which product specifically do you use if you dont mind me asking. I too live in Florida and would like to protect my holsters. Whatever you do use, does it alter the color or affect the dye....any hints on how to apply?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Leather holsters are made from cows and horses right,
    I do the same thing those animals do when thay get rained on, air dry.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I primarily use the LP. I have used almost all of their products. I recommend starting with the Small Combo pack.
    Obenauf's Leather Care Products

The LP is very similar in texture to beeswax. Simply take a small (quarter size amount out with your finger and smear on to leather directly. then smooth around to edges and work in to all stitching etc. To rid all residue and give a better finished look I take a hair dryer and melt the product in to the leather Works very well. I use it on all my Danner boots and leather gear such as shoes and holsters. Very very good stuff. It will darken some leathers very slightly, but only temporarily, and in my experience just makes the colors look richer. It does not affect it a great deal. Mainly a conditioner and protectant. The color change I believe is just making the leather look less aged.

Plus a little goes a long way. I have had one large tub of LP for over 8-10 years.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Fantastic info, thanks. Plus I will use it on my motorcycle boots, they get hammered in the weather.

Quick follow up question. I will use it sparingly and I like the dry in idea to really "melt" it in. Do you have any concerns with it getting on the inside or the weapon causing the holster to lose any rentention....or am I over thinking it?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Also, I just went ahead and placed an order for the small combo kit.....great reviews on the web at other sites too...thanks for the tip!

Funny, I no longer have my Harley road king (different harley now) but the Road King had leather saddle bags and none of the stuff I ever used really worked, nothing kept the bags from getting cracks....wish Iknew of this stuff then!

I usually treat with the Leather Oil (wipe it on several times until the leather stops absorbing it), then surface treat with the LP. Works incredibly well for holsters and knife sheaths.

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Leather holsters are made from cows and horses right,
    I do the same thing those animals do when thay get rained on, air dry.
    Leather objects have been getting wet for centuries. Properly air dried they survive nicely.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Any leather should be properly taken care of and treated, whether you are in rain or not. It will last a lot longer that way. Assuming you do, the rain should be no problem. There are a lot of good products out there to take care of leather.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links