Protruding Grip?

This is a discussion on Protruding Grip? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's in your head. Sometimes I say to myself "oh **** someone is gonna see this" and nobody says a word. People don't even look ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protruding Grip?

It's in your head. Sometimes I say to myself "oh **** someone is gonna see this" and nobody says a word. People don't even look at me but I sure pay attention to who might be looking. After a while I just forget about it and go about my business.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Wear it at the 3:00 and the grip will conceal better.

Like some have stated, folks notice far less than you might imagine.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My 640-1, mdl10 round butt 2" and my Springfield 1911 are all worn at 3 o'clock with a heavy fwd cant and I don't have a problem,I'm 6'1" 215 lbs.

VIP Member
    So far, I’m also blessed with a somewhat slimmer build. Don’t give that up, no matter what! Anyway, that’s a lot of hardware for your body type. In fact, after seeing this photo I may change the belt loop size of my custom order Milt Sparks from 1.5 to 1.25”. As for the solution, I would agree that you might have to solicit ‘Omar the Tent Maker’ for your wardrobe.

All Kidding aside, I frequently wear an open button over-shirt like a Hawaiian style (or similar) with any T-shirt. With jeans, it still looks casual and in my view stylish, while giving you the option to lose the over-shirt in a flash. Conversely, if you're out and about and suddenly need to look a bit more dressed, simply button up the shirt and there's your third look! This arrangement also permits the use of an OWB with the greatest of ease. Otherwise, consider a snub for your next acquisition.

Regards,
    Dan Ortego
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Tie a cinderblock under your shirt and take it to the mall. I'll bet not one person asks you about it!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post

Today I tried about 3:30 with a little less cant, seemed better. Ordered some larger shirts as well, was about time anyway. Got holes in most of my t-shirts...
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Tie a cinderblock under your shirt and take it to the mall. I'll bet not one person asks you about it!
    Truer words...

Try OC sometime and count how many people notice your firearm. The ratio of yes-no may shock you.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    Actually, I don’t see this thread, as... ‘it doesn’t matter since nobody cares’. Rather, it’s what the OP feels comfortable with. Heck, I live in Arizona where practically every man, woman and child now carries. Pretty soon, there will be a whole lot more once the new law takes affect. Still, there are times when I want to be, or at least feel, incognito. On those occasions I leave the OWB and over-shirt in the closet.

For what its worth, it’s been my experience that people actually notice more than you think. Granted, they don’t care but they still notice. This is especially the case with someone of the opposite sex, whereby one wrinkle, one coffee drop, or one lose thread is noticed. You guys in a steady relationship know exactly what I mean!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Ropedartman View Post
    Today I tried about 3:30 with a little less cant, seemed better. Ordered some larger shirts as well, was about time anyway. Got holes in most of my t-shirts...
    Yup the one size larger shirts will do the trick for sure. I ask my wife to pick me up some new shirts about every few months for style and appearance sake. Some are cut a little different, but for the most part the oversized shirt works well in most cases.

God luck.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Okay, I've moved my CBST forward to around 3:30-4-ish and made the clips even (less cant). Dramatic improvement! Barely prints when bending and is way more comfy when sitting or in the car. I figure if I get a better belt (gonna try the Wilderness 5-stitch) it'll pull it in another half-inch or so and help with the small side-bulge. Carried this way for the past two days in a size SM t-shirt and felt pretty secure everywhere. Didn't tell my wife and she never mentioned anything. I think I'm going to drop it down to the last notch and see if that's any better. Thanks again for everyone's input!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post

I believe this statement to be exactly opposite of what I would recommend. When you are are thin, your body shape as viewed from above is a flat oval. Moving a gun to the shortest point of that oval will make it print worse. If you move your carry position back toward your spine to about 4:30, the butt should tuck in closer to your body. It will also print less when you bend over.

You may also have to investigate a different holster design.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    If you move your carry position back toward your spine to about 4:30, the butt should tuck in closer to your body. It will also print less when you bend over.
    You sure about that?

Something hanging more rearward of your side will most definitely print far more than something located at your 3 o'clock. It's really a trial and error thing for everyone who CC. What works for one may not work for another.

I agree that 3 o'clock is more comfortable for sitting and it prints much less when bending over. Of course, if you wear the wrong type of shirt, printing usually displays itself as a lump on that side of body. I have found that black or dark colored square bottom cut shirts work best for me. Everyone is shaped different and it may take alot of tweaking to get it right. good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

size up clothing,no way around it. it helps big time....get used to layering an open button up over a tshirt. size up your jeans...that helps too. gotta make compromises if you want to carry. i'd rather be well armed and have slightly bigger clothes than skinny jeans,tight shirts and have to carry a keltec. imho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links