Protruding Grip?

Protruding Grip?

This is a discussion on Protruding Grip? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I've posted before about my carrying issues. I normally carry my LCP IWB with a CrossBreed Microclip. Zero issues, easy to conceal with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protruding Grip?

Protruding Grip?

Hello all, I've posted before about my carrying issues. I normally carry my LCP IWB with a CrossBreed Microclip. Zero issues, easy to conceal with anything I'm wearing. However, I would prefer to carry my 9 more, but it's never worked out. With my Crossbreed Supertuck, it's reasonably comfortable, but I feel like it protrudes badly if I bend slightly. I notice and my wife notices, but we're looking for it. I have looked at hundreds of photos on this site and it seems many of you carry just like I do and the butt protrudes as much as or more than mine. Does anyone have issues with being noticed when bending? Even with my jacket on, I see it when I bend. I guess I just don't know what the average sheep is seeing. Typically, they are blind or ignorant. But with warmer weather coming, I am curious what your experience is with this. Maybe I am overreacting

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Perhaps a size larger in the shirt? I personally don't think anyone can see it, people are blind. You're ticked in nicely there, so I don't think you can get any better than that.

I normally wear a Large Tshirt, but sometimes I even go down to a Medium. Lots more chances of printing, but no one has ever called me on it.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

When I carry my Glock 27 in my Crossbreed supertuck IWB I print just as you do with only a t-shirt covering it. Same as if I am wearing a light coat or even a heavy shirt. The handle of my Glock 27 prints when I bend over but nobody seems to notice it when I do.

When I wear my Smartcarry I know the handle prints at some angels but nobody has figured out that I am armed. It seems that when we just start CC'ing we worry a lot about printing. I'm learning that I know it is there so I see much more than the average person can see. I have had people sitting at eye level with my crotch area but their eyes are always focused on mine as we talk. I've felt at times that they will notice I'm printing but nobody has yet to figure it out.

I have bent over on purpose in front of people and knew I was printing just to see what might happen. Nobody has freaked out yet. I'm still new to CC'ing and I feel at times everyone can see my firearm but I'm learning people don't notice that I am armed.

Even if someone does figure it out I can always assure them I am legally armed. I am slowly letting the notion that I might print go away.

You just need to eat more, I mean look at you, the gun is bigger than you!

Seriously, I worried about this a bunch too, and apparently I am in "tune" with it but most people are not....and if a fellow gun carrier notices, not a horrible thing....and yes, I know the arugument about the bad guys picking up on it.....i can live with that.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    When at home or alone somewhere else, it does not matter. When in public or some place you don't want to take the chance of printing try this. Instead of bending at the waist, squat down by bending at the knees keeping your back straight. It does not look unnatural and if some one says something, just tell them you pulled a muscle in your back and are trying to take it easy.

Mostly other folks won't notice what we see. Some find it hard to believe, but most people are usually too self-absorbed to see what is plainly obvious.

Adjust your carry position and cant to the most concealable location on you. Wear a good cover garment. Pay attention to who and what is around you. Finally, don't worry about it so much!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Gain weight larger shirts!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Gain weight larger shirts!
    THAT is why I look like I do....yes, that is the reason...yep.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We've been doing the 'Virginia Tuck' for years: a restaurant which serves alcohol means I need to carry openly. So I untuck the cover garment from over the weapon and tuck it back in behind the grip to expose it. Talk about 'printing'! Yet I've never been questioned, and neither have I ever heard the sharp intake of breath or seen a mom collect her kids and run away. I mean, any more than usual (think 'Shrek').

Most people don't even notice OPEN carry - even at buffets, where everyone is milling about and my strong arm is often forward of my body reaching for the next scoop.

Yes, a slightly larger shirt may be in order, and squatting instead of bending over is a great idea for your back's sake in addition to the topic of your post. But I wouldn't worry too much about printing.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

GM
    We all are different; what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. I prefer holsters that allow me to change the forward cant; the more cant the easier to conceal. I carry IWB at 4:30 – 5:00 without problems, and do not wear oversized clothes. Also to consider is the firearm that you carry. IMO, not all firearms work well with all attires, and your pistol is pretty thick.

BTW, you do not need to gain weight, just try a different firearm and/or holsters. I purchased several holsters before I found the ones that worked for me.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Since you don't suffer from Dunlap disease, you should try out Appendix carry IWB. It worked well for me after losing about 25 lbs. Comfortable appendix carry is all about position, good gun belt and the right holster. I can AIWB my Glock 19 or my Springfield 1911 very well. Appendix carry probably will not give you the ability to carry shirt tucked in, but I don't care to tuck. I conceal with any shirt un-tucked, fleece vest, sport coats, sweaters, golf wind vest or shirts, basically anything. I don't have to worry about printing from behind anymore since the gun is positioned on my front. If I am printing a little I can see it and make adjustment. The draw is quick and efficient. The comfort is much better for me while seated, and the access to my gun is easy and quick while seated in my vehicle.

Wearing my gun behind my hip just never worked well for me, and I went looking for an alternative. I know appendix doesn't work for many people, but it should be considered an option. YMMV
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropedartman View Post
    Does anyone have issues with being noticed when bending? Even with my jacket on, I see it when I bend.
    Even with a jacket on? You might be mistaken there, I don't know, but I doubt it's printing that much. Have you tried wearing it at exactly 3:00? That's what I do with my 3913, which is slimmer than your M&P (if that's what that is?) but taller, causing the grip protrusion to be even worse. In the summer I wear shorts and a T-shirt, with the 3913 at 3:00, and as long as the t-shirt is sized XL (one size larger than my normal L), it's fine.

I guess I just don't know what the average sheep is seeing.
    Typically, they are blind or ignorant.
    Agree here. Even if it prints, it could be a cell phone or something. Even printing, it's still legally "concealed," not like you're brandishing it or anything. Yeah, there's the BG concern, but you should always know who's behind you anyway and be ready.

Maybe I am overreacting
    Maybe just a bit!!
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Looks like you have a pretty good cant on it already...would have been my first suggestion. Maybe move it a bit closer to 3:30....that helped me when bending. Bigger shirts may be in order...or just a slightly more relaxed cut. I can't wear any of my trim fitted shirts with the 9mm in the supertuck without printing.

Seems it's not as much an issue as I imagine. I've been eyeing the PPS because it is so much thinner, I do love my M&P, but it feels like a brick. I think if I wear the 9 more often, I'll just get used to it. Thanks for the help guys!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

you cant avoid SOME printing. if its not obvious dont worry about it. you also need to learn HOW to bend over.
    Personally, since I am so small, I keep my gun at 3:00, almost 2:30, so that when I am straight up, the gun rids along side my hip. If it prints at all then it almost prints more at the front sights. When I bend over the grip will obviosly print if anything, but not NEAR as much as if I had it at 4:00.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Administrator
    "Maybe I am overreacting?"

Think of all the people that you came in contact with out in public yesterday.

What color were their shoes?
    Were they all wearing belts?
    Which of those people had Silver belt buckles & which ones had Gold belt buckles?
    How many of the guys that you saw yesterday had their wallets in their rear Left or their Rear Right pants pocket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links