Small of back carry

This is a discussion on Small of back carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I carry over the kidney, not the spine. The palm out draw makes drawing the gun very easy. It is comfortable ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small of back carry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I carry over the kidney, not the spine.
    The palm out draw makes drawing the gun very easy. It is comfortable to walk, stand, or sit. I know several other fellows who carry their Glock-36s the same way I do.
    To each his own...
    Exactly this ^.
    And if you cursor/scroll over the pics on the right, you can see the draw almost as a little slide show: Mernickle Custom Holsters - Performance Series

2. Remove Ads

I do.... my SR9c is carried small of back. Again not spine, kidney, which is about 5:00.

To me it's WAY more comfortable and practical than 3:00 or the likes of. It's natural for me to draw that way, and I don't have to buy my pants to fit around the gun. I wear a 32 (sometimes 34) jeans, and with the gun at 3:00 it's a tad to tight, with it at 5:00-5:30 I can't it's even there and I can wear just a normal white t-shirt and you can't see the weapon at all.

I have driven in the car for a coupl hours with way as well and I don't even notice it anymore.

I have issues hiding the butt-end of the handle if I carry 3:00, small of back solves this issue as well.

I also carry "reverse" of those images. My handle points left and I draw palm in.

It's odd, I know, but it works really well for me and I can wear any pants I want and you cannot tell I'm carrying.

If somebody can find me a holster for the SR9c that DOES NOT require I buy a pant size larger than I wear, I'll carry 3:00-4:00... but there doesn't seem to be one made yet.

People's backs are naturally arched, thus creating a lil "pocket" if you will that the gun fits perfectly in, for me anyways.

I'm 5'7" and about 175-180lbs.

my biggest problem with the SOB holster is when i sit down or bend over. it's not really a problem sitting in a closed back chair, but when i sit on open bleachers or open backed chairs in a restaurant it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    Exactly this ^.
    And if you cursor/scroll over the pics on the right, you can see the draw almost as a little slide show: Mernickle Custom Holsters - Performance Series
    Thanks...

Excellent view of the draw I speak of...not any more dangerous than from many other positions, and no spine injury if one should fall.

Could you shoot your leg, yep, just like you could shoot your leg from the strong side, a cross-draw, a shoulder holster, or a palm 'in' SOB.IMHO
    It's training, muscle memory, and finger control...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

SOB carry is aptly named.

It is the carry method that most people who do not know any better think will be a good choice.

This method is really no better but I am glad to see there is a proper holster made for it. Of course when the only two guns I carry are a J frame and a Hi Power the options can be a little more limited.

Just one mans opinion of course after having bought an SOB holster for the first handgun I ever bought.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have carried IWB/SOB for several years 'off and on'...now about half the time in this... FIST, INC.

The pic does not do the carry justice, maybe the guy in the pic is small.
    I carry over the kidney, not the spine.
    The palm out draw makes drawing the gun very easy. It is comfortable to walk, stand, or sit. I know several other fellows who carry their Glock-36s the same way I do.
    To each his own...

^^^^^YEP^^^^

I carry my K- tec p11 like this, but my M&P9C in a side holster
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    5 days since this was last asked. I have the same reply. I've been doing it for years with a variety of guns. Works out smooth for me.

Why do the people that carry at 3 o'clock not seem to worry about falling on their hip?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

Why do the people that carry at 3 o'clock not seem to worry about falling on their hip?
    Probably 'cause it has little potential for compromising the spinal cord. I got clotheslined off a bike (across a back rest) a number of years back & the damage caused by a mid/lower back disc rupture and subsequent scarring had the cord pretty well pinched off. Ended up collapsing/falling down at often inopportune times when the legs would stop working. Finally the doc's picked up on what was going on and cleaned out most of the intrusion.

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I got a good deal on eBay for a new Galco small of back holster for a Kahr K9 a few years back.

I think I wore it twice.................... The idea of it seems sound, but I wouldn't spend any amount of money for another. Uncomfortable, constant feeling of tugging down at your backside, even with a quality gun belt.

Maybe that is why I got a good deal?

I carry my XD9sc at about 7:00 (lefty) in a Don Hume 715. Haven't needed to change pants or shorts to a larger waist size.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

I thought about SOB ,but when i came across the CBST on another form,i watch there video and wasn't sure,then look at the SOB and OWB and finally order my CBST, due to the fact of not have a HG in my back when driving and just sitting period..
    Although i did think about SOB left hand in the 10 or 11 o'clock..

Just my two cents...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

I love it. It is the most comfortable way to carry a pistol when you are standing up.

But please don't sit down or fall down. I got one for my 3" kimber, wore it once, and discovered I couldn't sit comfortably anywhere. Plus Mas Ayoob also dislikes them for the reasons meantioned above regarding a full force fall to the back and the potential for spine damage.

Anyone wanna buy a Galco SOB for 3" 1911??
    (before anyone fusses, not selling, just making a point)

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    5 days since this was last asked. I have the same reply. I've been doing it for years with a variety of guns. Works out smooth for me.

Exactly!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links