Small of back carry

This is a discussion on Small of back carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone actually carry like this? Before I started CCing I always thought this would be a comfortable way to carry. I'll admit it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small of back carry

Thumbs down Small of back carry

Does anyone actually carry like this? Before I started CCing I always thought this would be a comfortable way to carry. I'll admit it was probably from watching too many movies and TV.

Today I tried it for the first time. Adjusted my Mtac to full cant, placed it around 5:30 and went to work.... about an hour into work I had to go to the restroom and move it back to 4:00.

It is very uncomfortable for me to carry SOB, when I'm standing I feel like my pants are sliding down my butt, and when i sit down i get a pistol grip digging into my spine.

I'll be sticking to 4:00 carry, but I'm wondering if theres anyone out there who carrys SOB on a regular basis?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

I made the huge mistake of buying a Galco M.O.B. holster for my XD40sc. It's a beautiful black leather holster, but it's 100% a pain in the ass... well, and back. Aside from a horrible position, the clip that retains against the belt is nearly 2"s.. I have a sturdy 1.5" belt, so for the holster to continually lean to one side was nerve racking and irritating.. I sat in business meetings with the gun resting between the back of the chair and the bottom of the chair, with a serious and concerning lean, just praying that it didn't unclip and fall off my belt completely.

I went Supertuck and have never looked back.. With the occassional Serpa useage..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    AND...If one were unfortunate enough to be thrown against a wall or WORSE...Fall on ones back, one could easily easily suffer a serious back injury...

For that, and other reasons, SOB carry is just plain asking for trouble...To no advantage.

I want my money back! Lesson learned.. I can't even sell this holster for half of what I paid for it jsut 3 months ago.. Can't return it either, as it was a special order.. Worn 2 maybe 3 times, and I can't even give it away..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by EXHSLD View Post
    AND...If one were unfortunate enough to be thrown against a wall or WORSE...Fall on ones back, one could easily easily suffer a serious back injury...

For that, and other reasons, SOB carry is just plain asking for trouble...To no advantage.
    Well stated. And not to be taken lightly.

Other than thinking it would be uncomfortable, I have trouble reaching around to the center of my back.

i'm currently carrying a sig228 with an SOB holster. i have gotten used to the lump in the back so it doesn't really bother me any longer. having said that, i'm currently looking to replace this holster ASAP. it is ok if you spend most of your time standing. but as soon as you start bending, reaching and sitting the concealment goes away. it's also a bit rough on the lower back if you have to drive for any length of time. i DON'T recommend one. as soon as i can decide on which other holster to go with, this one is GONE!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    No need to go further back than 4:00....

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    No need to go further back than 4:00....
    the only reason I thought to try it today, is these pants are a little tighter than my normal ones, and i found SOB i can go 1 hole on my belt tighter than at 3-4:00... the discomfort was not worth the extra room around my waist though.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Gotcha....I was agreeing with you....:)

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Gotcha....I was agreeing with you....:)
    haha i know, i was just clearifying i did actually have a "need" to move farther back than 4:00... it just so happened that my "need" came in the form of a "lovehandle"
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by EXHSLD View Post
    Ditto!! As a martial artist I don't want to give up: A) being able to do a Judo backfall, and 2) being able to draw and shoot from the Ju jitsu "guard" position AFTER doing a Judo backfall...

Do a full backfall on a SOB-carried handgun and you probably have a lower spinal injury on top of whatever the BG is about to do to you.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Ditto!! As a martial artist I don't want to give up: A) being able to do a Judo backfall, and 2) being able to draw and shoot from the Ju jitsu "guard" position AFTER doing a Judo backfall...

Do a full backfall on a SOB-carried handgun and you probably have a lower spinal injury on top of whatever the BG is about to do to you.
    Well said
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

I carried like this for a couple years before I switched guns and holsters...not dead center, just slightly off to the right.
    I've fallen on ice, I've fallen off a ladder...mostly just hurt my butt and my pride.
    To each his own.

I have carried IWB/SOB for several years 'off and on'...now about half the time in this... FIST, INC.

The pic does not do the carry justice, maybe the guy in the pic is small.
    I carry over the kidney, not the spine.
    The palm out draw makes drawing the gun very easy. It is comfortable to walk, stand, or sit. I know several other fellows who carry their Glock-36s the same way I do.
    To each his own...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links