IWB or shoulder rig?

IWB or shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on IWB or shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i've looked thru numerous pages of holster questions and still would like more opinions on my train of thought...... i have a sig 228 that ...

IWB or shoulder rig?

i've looked thru numerous pages of holster questions and still would like more opinions on my train of thought......

i have a sig 228 that i carry concealed. i'm currently using an SOB holster because it's the only one that i currently have. my initial thought was to switch to a shoulder rig. the reasons being that i spend alot of time, due to the desert heat, in shorts and t-shirts. my assumption was a shoulder rig would be easier to conceal because the gun would be under my armpit and hidden by by body. i came across the Safariland 1090 "Gun Quick" and it seemed just the ticket. i read a few reviews that were both good and bad. after reading through this site for the last several hours an IWB holster seems MUCH more popular. i would love to get some feedback from you guys on both lines of thinking. i understand that some pro gun folks don't recommend shoulder rigs because of muzzle direction and some ranges don't allow them on their ranges. another reason for the shoulder rig idea was because i now work in a building materials yard, and while i spend most of my driving a desk, i do spend a fair amount of time in the shop with the truck mechanic, at the front counter with customers, on and off forklifts and in and out of tractor/trailers. i'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys. and just for a bit of background, i am professionally trained in how to handle guns but i'm no longer "in service". my biggest concerns are how to conceal my sig during everyday life. thanx in advance for the input!

if you're in a t-shirt, how will you conceal a shoulder rig? if its under your tshirt its not very accessable.

I wear my 4" XD IWB at 4:00 all day every day, i can walk, sit, and do just about everything comfortably with it there.

Check out the MTAC at comp-tac.com, its a very comfortable IWB holster that has a large following on this site, very similar to the crossbreed supertuck
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

i've never worn a shoulder rig, only read about them. i've read where some were better at "hiding" the harness than others. i wear a wifebeater under my t-shirts so i would wear the shoulder rig between the 2 shirts. as far as being accessible, i generally wear my shirts untucked (whether it's a t-shirt or button down) so i'm assuming it would take about the same effort to get to the weapon with either style of holster....correct? do you have any problems driving for extended periods with the IWB holster?

Quote Originally Posted by SW Sig View Post
    so i'm assuming it would take about the same effort to get to the weapon with either style of holster....correct? do you have any problems driving for extended periods with the IWB holster?
    try this, reach with your strong side hand and pretend to grab a gun from your waist band around 3:00 - 4:00, now do the same thing, but reach all the way up under your shirt to your weakside armpit... quite a bit more effort and i imagine the cover shirt would hinder your ability to draw the weapon from the holster. just my $0.02

if i have to draw, i dont want to have to raise my cover garment up to my chin to have access to my armpit ;) I think shoulder rigs have a place, but i think they're better off being worn under a jacket or open button-up shirt.

I found sitting in the car with the IWB at 4:00 is right at my "sweet spot" and farther back and its pinned between the seat and myself causing it to be uncomfortable and non-accesable, and any farther forward towards 3:00 position and i find the seat belt gets in my way. a forward cant helps alot while in the car too.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Shoulder rigs usually wind up in the ole holster box since they require a jacket to conceal properly and then you have to leave it on wherever you go...IWB is the way to go for concealment...and in extreme heat, you may want to opt for a smaller gun..maybe a j-frame or kel tec in the pocket...:)

los
    A good IWB-A crossdraw rig would solve your problems.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

AzB
    I wear a shoulder rig any time I can, but it's under a jacket. So all summer I carry IWB or OWB.

But for long drives, a shoulder holster is far more accessible and comfortable.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I do use a shoulder rig for my Glock 19 (Triple K) but not for EDC. When I do a lot of driving and when I am out in the woods, it works great. But when at work I pocket carry a snub nose 38 in a pocket holster and on the weekends the G19 in a hybrid IWB.

I know that this was not an option about which the OP asked but let me put it out as a consideration. For about the last year I have worn nothing but a SmartCarry for concealed carry. I have become really sold on it as a solid, safe, stable, and effective way to CCW.

This is my Smart Carry Security V and in the picture it is carrying my CZ PCR, and extra magazine, a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog, and a Streamlight Stylus Pro. I just strap on the rig in the morning and I am good to go for the whole day no matter what. I can (and do) wear it under jeans, Dockers, shorts, sweats, and so on. I know that some guys have an aversion to where the rig sits on the body but it really is not a problem. Try it and you will like it!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

drw
    I only carry with a shoulder holster in the spring, and fall when I'm wearing a light jacket that I don't take off. Most other times it's on my hip, although I just bought a 511 holster under shirt that I like when I'm wearing a botton down shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    A good IWB-A crossdraw rig would solve your problems.
    Here ya' go... FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    IMO, in your case a shoulder rig is a very bad alternative; drawing the firearms will not be easy at all. I should get a good IWB holster instead.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    IMO, in your case a shoulder rig is a very bad alternative; drawing the firearms will not be easy at all. I should get a good IWB holster instead.
    Practice makes perfect. I can draw just as fast from a vertical shoulder holster than I can my IWB. Horizontal is even faster.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Links