Minotaur Appendix Carry Neutral Cant Holster

This is a discussion on Minotaur Appendix Carry Neutral Cant Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own one of these holsters? I like to appendix carry my G26 and G19. I didn't see a recent thread on this so ...

Thread: Minotaur Appendix Carry Neutral Cant Holster

Does anyone own one of these holsters? I like to appendix carry my G26 and G19. I didn't see a recent thread on this so that's why I started this one. I'm strongly considering buying one of these. I had the opportunity to try out an MTac and really liked it, but that's not real ideal for appendix carry. I'd like to hear some feedback from people who use it. Anyone?
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

I've never used the appendix carry, but I wear an mtac and am a big fan for both comp-tac and minotaur
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I have one for my Kahr P9. It is a good appendix holster. Just as well built as the regular MTAC. It is stable and secure and very flat. It is my second favorite appendix holster after the Archangel from Dale Fricke. If Dale made one for the Kahr, I probably would not wear the Comp-Tac.

Here it is.

Here is the Archangel from Dale Fricke

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Good pictures. I've got Dale's Archangel Holster. I like everything except the fact that it pinches the inside of my thigh, even with my G26. I'm wondering if the Minotaur would be more comfortable in that regard? If not, I may have to switch to carry at about 3:30.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Good pictures. I've got Dale's Archangel Holster. I like everything except the fact that it pinches the inside of my thigh, even with my G26. I'm wondering if the Minotaur would be more comfortable in that regard? If not, I may have to switch to carry at about 3:30.
    Try moving it toward the midline more if it isn't already there, and see if it pinches you then. Moleskin glued to the bottom area that is pinching you could help also. Just a thought.

The Mtac Neutral Cant has some leather at the bottom of the holster that might keep the pinch from happening, because it will fold over when you sit down. I will try and post a picture of it and how it might look sitting tomorrow.
    Last edited by tmoore912; April 22nd, 2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Add content
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

ok maybe i'm confused, but with appendix carry, when you're seated, arnt you "covering" your thigh? and when drawing from appendix carry from a seated position i dont see how you couldn't cover atleast part of your legs.... i dont like the idea of that muzzle ever being pointed at a part of my body, especially one with major arteries like the thigh has.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Bfunk, with proper trigger finger control it's perfectly safe to carry at the appendix position. The gun will not just go off on it's own. For me it's a very comfortable position and if was able to open carry at work it's how I would do it.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

BFunk,

Your not confused. You do cover your thigh while seated. I'm confident in my gun handling skills and with the safeties on my guns that it doesn't bother me that I am breaking one of the major rules of gun handling. I know that there is nothing I can say that might make it more comfortable for you to carry this way. It's kind of like when guys post here asking about carrying with a round in the chamber. Sometimes it just takes a while to get comfortable with it, and sometimes you just never get comfortable with it. I have stated in the past that I know that appendix carry isn't for everyone, and your not the first person to ever comment about the possibility of shooting yourself in the leg. The advantages of carrying appendix far outweigh the negatives for me, which is why I choose to carry this way.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Handgunworld,

I have attached a picture of the Archangel and the Neutral MTAC side by side to demonstrate how they compare. Dale likes to make his holsters long for stability reasons. This also makes the holster to be able to be used with bigger model guns. My Archangel works for a Glock 19 and 17. I have never tried a 26 in it. My holster is almost 7 1/2" long if you measure the holster along the back from the top to bottom. I wonder if your's is that long since you ordered it for your Glock 26. The Archangel might be a little to long for your body type, which is why it is pinching you while seated.

The MTAC I have is for a Kahr P9, but it is about the same length and height of a Glock 26. My Mtac is more than an inch shorter than the Archangel, and that might be enough difference to keep from pinching. The MTAC also has a little extra leather at the bottom that could make it ride more comfortable. I know some guys who have cut the extra leather off, but whatever you want to do......... You might want to try the MTAC Neutral Cant.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

I understand the gun wont just go off, and I'm always careful to practice propper trigger control. I was just taught to never cover yourself even while drawing.

Not bashing it, just like you said, its probably just an idea that takes getting used to.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Handgunworld,

I have attached a picture of the Archangel and the Neutral MTAC side by side to demonstrate how they compare. Dale likes to make his holsters long for stability reasons. This also makes the holster to be able to be used with bigger model guns. My Archangel works for a Glock 19 and 17. I have never tried a 26 in it. My holster is almost 7 1/2" long if you measure the holster along the back from the top to bottom. I wonder if your's is that long since you ordered it for your Glock 26. The Archangel might be a little to long for your body type, which is why it is pinching you while seated.

The MTAC I have is for a Kahr P9, but it is about the same length and height of a Glock 26. My Mtac is more than an inch shorter than the Archangel, and that might be enough difference to keep from pinching. The MTAC also has a little extra leather at the bottom that could make it ride more comfortable. I know some guys who have cut the extra leather off, but whatever you want to do......... You might want to try the MTAC Neutral Cant.

Excellent pictures thanks! I think I'm going to get the Minotaur. I can cut off some of the leather if I need to but I am fairly sure it's the length of the kydex on the Archangel that's pinching me. I bought the archangel for the G26 but it's about 1/2 inch longer than the gun. One problem is I'm carring about 12 extra lbs in the stomach area.

By the way, my 2 cents about appendix carry, I put my gun in the holster fiirst, then put the holster onto my belt. When I disarm I remove the holster with the gun still in it. That way there is no chance I could pull the trigger accidentally. It's more work, but safer IMHO.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

tmoore,

I got Dale's Archangel a few days ago, and it's just not working for me. It's a great holster. Perfect fit and retention. Not at all uncomfortable. Great draw and ride height for a good grip.

But the damn thing just prints too much. These things are all very personal, so it just looks like it's not working for me. It's the butt of the pistol. Just sticks too far out.

Just messing around, I rotated my Tucker Texas Heritage around to the appendix position. And it works great, with the exception of the 15 degree forward cant, that makes an appendix draw less comfortable. But due to the two attachment points, it pulls the butt in much closer than the Archangel.

So with that in mind I began looking for an appendix holster with two attachment points and came across the Minotaur Neutral. Of course having the forward cant also results in less printing of the butt, so I don't know if there will still be too much printing after rotating to a neutral cant...even with the two attachment points.

Can you tell a noticeable difference between these two holsters in regards to the butt printing?
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    tmoore,

I got Dale's Archangel a few days ago, and it's just not working for me. It's a great holster. Perfect fit and retention. Not at all uncomfortable. Great draw and ride height for a good grip.

But the damn thing just prints too much. These things are all very personal, so it just looks like it's not working for me. It's the butt of the pistol. Just sticks too far out.

Just messing around, I rotated my Tucker Texas Heritage around to the appendix position. And it works great, with the exception of the 15 degree forward cant, that makes an appendix draw less comfortable. But due to the two attachment points, it pulls the butt in much closer than the Archangel.

So with that in mind I began looking for an appendix holster with two attachment points and came across the Minotaur Neutral. Of course having the forward cant also results in less printing of the butt, so I don't know if there will still be too much printing after rotating to a neutral cant...even with the two attachment points.

Can you tell a noticeable difference between these two holsters in regards to the butt printing?
    Impossible to tell really. The gun I carry in the Neutral MTAC (Kahr P9) is so different than the Glock 19 and 1911 I carry in the Archangel. All I can say is I never had a problem with it as far as the butt printing.

What gun did you try with the Archangel?
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Impossible to tell really. The gun I carry in the Neutral MTAC (Kahr P9) is so different than the Glock 19 and 1911 I carry in the Archangel. All I can say is I never had a problem with it as far as the butt printing.

What gun did you try with the Archangel?
    ...3" 1911.

If it was my Kahr PM9, no problem. But for the 1911, I need at least a rear attachment point to pull the butt in close.

It's too bad...because I really like that Archangel.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Links