High Noon "Slide Guard"

This is a discussion on High Noon "Slide Guard" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Slide Guard along with the Public Secret and Rock Steady belt. Do to a mistake made by yours truly, I haven't been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Noon "Slide Guard"

Administrator

High Noon "Slide Guard"

I got a Slide Guard along with the Public Secret and Rock Steady belt. Do to a mistake made by yours truly, I haven't been able to fully try out the Slide Guard and belt until now. High Noon provides excellent ordering details on their website. Do yourself a favor, read and follow them. Don't be a dunce like me.

It almost 11a.m, and I've been wearing the Slide Guard and Rock Steady since 6am. In that time, I've got two kids up and ready for school. That includes cooking breakfast, serving it, dressing the youngest, wrestling him to get his shoes on brushing teeth, hair etc. I then took the dog on a long walk around the neighborhood looking for a lost model rocket my oldest son launched from the yard last night. I think we might have to stick to the story that it is now orbiting us.
    I'm now getting ready to go to the school to each lunch with my son, and probably talk with the kids about whatever the teacher asks me to. Sometimes it drugs, sometimes its strangers... whatever.

Now, what does that have to do with a holster review? Everything. Its real life. It is not that different that what everyone else does in the mornings going about their daily life.

So far the Slide Guard has been great. As advertised, it holds my 228 nice and snug against my body. Its a nice solid steady feeling. I can definitely feel the gun there, but it is not rubbing against my side the weight is nicely distributed and it is not uncomfortable at all. There was not the slightest bit of discomfort during my walk (about a 1.5 miles round trip)

The holster itself is very well made. The 228 slides right into place as is nice and snug in the holster. Even when playing around with the kids wrestling and what not, never once did the holster worry me. The fit and finish are every bit as good as any of the high dollar custom jobs sitting in my holster drawer.

I am convinced though that a lot of this success is due to the Rock Steady belt. This belt is everything a gun belt should be, and it even looks good.

More to come.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I like that you have taken a common sense approach to your selection and review of these 'projects'. Not a this holster is cool review, and itll make you a tactical dynamo. Very good so far. Keep it up and of course provide pictures. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

That is awesome, and exactly what I was looking for, thanks a bunch and look forward to the pictures!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I ordered a Slide Guard holster from High Noon Company about two weeks ago. Dam.... I hate waiting for 12 weeks to get it.

I ordered it in black cow-hide and lined.

I currently have a Corssbreed Quick-Clip (IWB) holster which I like, but my jeans are "tight" and I do not wish to spend money on new pants and shorts... so it does kind of hurt my back due to a tight fit. Hopefully, loosing weight will help.

I wanted an OWB holster like the Slide Guard from High Noon so I can wear it anytime and just use a jacket or shirt untucked to cover it up... and it will be more comfortable to wear while driving on long trips.

Slide Guard

I searched high and low... and felt the quality is as good as any custom leather shop out there for less money... and that they offer cow, horse and lined or unlined options... that many others due not offer.... or do for more money.

Dam.... I only used up 3 minutes posting this message... and still have 12 weeks (minus 3 minutes) to wait for it to arrive!!!!!
    Last edited by Beachbumcook; April 23rd, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

I've been eyeing the Slide Guard for a couple years, as far back as when it was $75. I like everything about it except the cant--I wish it was canted more so I could wear it further around the front.

Where do you wear it, around 3 o'clock? I'm wondering how far toward the appendix area it can slide before it becomes uncomfortable when sitting.

I just ordered a slide guard about a week ago. Guess i still have a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    I just ordered a slide guard about a week ago. Guess i still have a wait.
    I hope your behind my order... I hate waiting...
    Springfield XDM 40cal

I have hadf mine for about a year, and I am really pleased with it. But you are incorrect.....It is not just the Rock Steady belt. I do not own that belt, and it still works great ! ...
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Hey SIXTO, I am getting ready to order one also, what color did you get, did you get it lined, horsehide?????
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Hey SIXTO, I am getting ready to order one also, what color did you get, did you get it lined, horsehide?????
    Black, lined, cow.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Black, lined, cow.
    +1 on "Black, Lined Cow"

I carry concealed... so color does not really matter... but if I choose to use for IDPA shooting, then black will look better (IMO).

I chose lined becuase I liked the "reasons" that Highnoon gives and I figured what was a few extra bucks... plus I like the look of the extra stiching all the way around the holster versus the "unlined look".

I went with cow as it is cheaper (even when lined) and has has been a proven material for a very long-long time.... and I was trying to "over-think" it all.... more than I was... so I went with black/lined/cow.

Either way.... I am impressed with High Noon's holsters and explanations of what they do and why they do it in the FaQ section of their website.
    Springfield XDM 40cal

+2 on the black, lined cow. Looks like the waiting line might be a little long.

Administrator
    I gave the Slide guard a good test this weekend;

I went to the "Most dangerous zip code in the U.S." 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Yeah, it was for the fun of it.... and I took my family. OK, its not as exciting as it sounds, the Zoo is located there. Once inside the Zoo compound, everything is fine. Its getting there that is nuts.

Normally, I would take my PM9 along on such family outings, but considering the surroundings and some sweet new High Noon options, I chose to take along my 228.

It was a warm day, in the high 70's low 80's. I dressed in shorts and tshirt, along with the 228, Slide Guard and Rock Steady belt. The venue and nature of this trip made discretion, comfort and firepower a top priority.

I think I walked about 5 miles in all. I had to make a trip back to the car to retrieve lunch, making my mileage count a little higher. ( I refuse to pay a premium price for crappy food that I have to share with peacocks). Our Zoo is very hilly, you are constantly going up and down hills. The crowd was pretty tame being a Monday, but there were a few school field trips and the typical associated crowds I had to negotiate. Little kids bumping into everything, including me. Everything stayed snug and secure. I didn't get one nasty look from any of the stupid soccer moms there. (And there were plenty)

The High Noon combo performed admirably. It stayed comfortable and secure during the entire outing, including the hour drive to and from. There was one minor issue though, by the end of the day, the muzzle end was digging ever so slight into my lower hip. It was no big deal, a slight adjustment of the holsters position fixed that... to be honest, my feet hurt worse.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I gave the Slide guard a good test this weekend;

I went to the "Most dangerous zip code in the U.S." 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Yeah, it was for the fun of it.... and I took my family. OK, its not as exciting as it sounds, the Zoo is located there. Once inside the Zoo compound, everything is fine. Its getting there that is nuts.

Normally, I would take my PM9 along on such family outings, but considering the surroundings and some sweet new High Noon options, I chose to take along my 228.

It was a warm day, in the high 70's low 80's. I dressed in shorts and tshirt, along with the 228, Slide Guard and Rock Steady belt. The venue and nature of this trip made discretion, comfort and firepower a top priority.

I think I walked about 5 miles in all. I had to make a trip back to the car to retrieve lunch, making my mileage count a little higher. ( I refuse to pay a premium price for crappy food that I have to share with peacocks). Our Zoo is very hilly, you are constantly going up and down hills. The crowd was pretty tame being a Monday, but there were a few school field trips and the typical associated crowds I had to negotiate. Little kids bumping into everything, including me. Everything stayed snug and secure. I didn't get one nasty look from any of the stupid soccer moms there. (And there were plenty)

The High Noon combo performed admirably. It stayed comfortable and secure during the entire outing, including the hour drive to and from. There was one minor issue though, by the end of the day, the muzzle end was digging ever so slight into my lower hip. It was no big deal, a slight adjustment of the holsters position fixed that... to be honest, my feet hurt worse.
    Dam... and I am still waiting for mine... now I want it even more.

I normally wear an IWB Corssbreed holster and it is great... but due to wearing my normal jeans and liking a "tight" belt, it hurts my hip if sitting or wearing all day.

I chose an OWB High Noon holster for times that I do not need to "tuck my shirt in".

Did you buy a "lined" or "unlined" version of the Slide Guard? How do you like the construction, look and feel? How is the retention and "drawing of your firearm"?

Thanks for the update.
    Springfield XDM 40cal

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post

Did you buy a "lined" or "unlined" version of the Slide Guard? How do you like the construction, look and feel? How is the retention and "drawing of your firearm"?
    Mine is lined. The construction and quality is top shelf. I have a few higher end Alessi and such, the High Noon is just as good. The feel is very snug and secure, no slop like you would get with an off the shelf type holster such as a Galco or Safariland.
    Retention is as about as god as it gets with a open top concealment holster, and you can adjust it a good margin either way to suit your preferences. Draws are smooth and very positive, nothing to complain about there either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links