Defensive Carry banner

Kahr CW9/homemade holster (pics)

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  stu837 
#1 ·
Hey Gentlemen,
I wanted to share a great experience carrying and shooting the Kahr CW9, which has quickly become my primary carry. I have never had a gun that was able to retain such great shootability while being so comfortable and easy to carry. It has about 1000 rounds through it, has never had a failure of any kind, and carries like a champ. I have spent many hours carrying both an SR9 and XD subcompact (9mm) and the Kahr is such a pleasure to carry in comparison. The biggest factors are how thin it is (0.9 inches not including the slide lock) and how light it is. Also it shoots very accurately (much more so than my XD). Its biggest trial has been my using it in IDPA matches and I have had no trouble keeping up with the big guns.

Also, after never fully being satisfied with the holsters that I have tried, I decided to get some Kydex and start making my own. I highly recommend y'all trying your hand at making your own at home assuming you're good with your hands. First of all, we're all made differently and by making your own and working out the kinks, you can make something that fits YOUR body. Secondly, you can bye all the equipment you need to make several homemade kydex holsters for about the price of two commercial holsters. Then after that, you're making holsters for super cheap since sheets of kydex and rivets are quite affordable. The holster shown is by far the most comfortable I have tried, due to the flat surface facing the body. The stiffness of the kydex distributes the pressure over a large area and has the added benefit of being sweat proof. I also have several other attachments for carrying the holster in different areas on the belt and with different cants, both IWB and OWB. This allows endless experimentation for getting it just right.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks nice, making it yourself makes it even nicer!:king:

#7 ·
Holster Making

Great post. Thank you for taking time to show your handy work. I have gone through a number of pistols before buying my CW9 several months ago. I soon also found that this great pistol can keep up with the challenges of an IDPA shoot. The CW9 has become my carry pistol over my XD9sc or BHP. I find your post very interesting as I have several good holsters and am not able to carry just in front of my left hip. So I may need to try making my own holster. Shoot safe!

-- Richard

#8 ·
Nice work. I totally agree with you about making your own "made-for-you-by-you" holster. By making your own you can integrate features you see in other holsters to see if you like them and truely make it unique. If something doesn't "fit" right you're only a heat gun or sandpaper away from fixing it.

#9 ·
thanks for the positive comments!
i can also appreciate some more critical comments from you guys who have some recommendations on my kydex work. I keep trying to improve on the holsters and welcome any advice.

I was thinking about putting together a picture tutorial on kydex the next time i make a holster (sharing what little i know). Do y'all think that would be something readers would be interested in seeing on this forum?

#11 ·
Make your Own

Yes, I would enjoy seeing how you make holsters. I met to say earlier what a nice finished look your holster has!

-- Richard

#15 ·
Great job, I have made a few kydex, and kydex hybrids, yours looks better than any I have done. I really like the flat back, I will have to try that next time I work with kydex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.