Ruger SP-101carry advice?

This is a discussion on Ruger SP-101carry advice? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Just got first lessons and bought a SP-101 2.5 I haven't walked a foot with it yet just wondering what type holster a newbie ...

Thread: Ruger SP-101carry advice?

Ruger SP-101carry advice?

Hi,

Just got first lessons and bought a SP-101 2.5 I haven't walked a foot with it yet just wondering what type holster a newbie should get? i'm left handed as well. Belt or hip? need a speed loader holder as well. Thank you for advice.

2. Remove Ads

I use a Southern Sidekick Holster from Ryan Grizzle. See them at Holsters by RGrizzle. They are quality holsters at an affordable price. Quick, too.

The Southern Sidekick is an in-the-waistband, tuckable holster with one attachment point to the belt. If you want two attachment points, look at the City Slicker.

I went with the single attachment point because I carry this rig in the appendix, or one to two o'clock position. For a lefty, this would be ten to eleven o'clock.

I ordered the holster with a "J Clip", a "P Clip", and a "V Clip". In the following photos, the holster is shown with the "P Clip". This is perfect for the appendix carry position, as the little textured clip looks like another leather loop on the belt and almost disappears. If I ever want to wear the rig at three to four o'clock, I will switch the clip to the "V Clip" which then attaches to the Velcro liner on the inside of my Beltman belts and totally disappears.

I'm somewhat confused by your question "Belt or hip?" I hope your belt is on your hip?

I'm more confused than you are I think....I'm not sure about a belt riding holster as I would have to always keep shirt un-tucked. Isn't there some sling type body holster for tucking shirt in? i'm so green! also I think I need a top snap as the SP-101 has a pretty big protruding hammer. Thanks for your help.

The photos I showed are of a "tuckable" holster. The shirt tail tucks between the clip and the holster.

Other than the Velcro clip that hides behind the belt, at this point in time, that's as good as it gets, unless you are talking about a SmartCarry or bellyband.
    Last edited by ccwguy; April 26th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

I have carried my Ruger SP-101 2.5" barrel concealed for a long, long time and have found that the Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock Carry is a very, very good way for me to carry concealed.

The so-called "appendix" carry method is light but stable on the belt, easy to get to should you need to, and exceptionally easy to conceal. The pic is of the holster and the Ruger with Hogue grips - I prefer them over the Rugers.

I carry two additional HKS speed loaders either in a carrier on my belt (actually, that's kind of bulky) but more often I just put them in my jacket/vest pocket and, over the years, that has become my preferred carry method.

For me this is a particularly efficient way in which to carry.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

My wife was in the same boat and decided on a Crossbreed Qwik Clip holster. Adjustable for cant, strait drop and cross draw. She's also a lefty and also has an SP101. Holster hasn't showed up yet so no practical experience that we/I could share. I love my Crossbreed supertuck...this design is different but I'd imagine every bit as comfortable and concealable as mine.

VIP Member
    I carry mine in a High Noon Hidden Ally.

My speed loaders are not on my belt, I keep the pair in a generic soft holder in a shirt pocket.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I use a high noon Mr. Softy...if I were to order today, i would most likely go with the Bare Asset with forward cant...

Mine is a 3" SP101, I carry it OWB in a Fist #12. Rides perfectly and is held very close to the body with a good belt.

Enjoy your new gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I carry in a Kholster. Very comfortable. I also have a Simply Rugged silver dollar OWB for when it is colder.

I'm currently using the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar for my SP101. I like it a lot. It pulls in tight to the body and conceals well.
    Leather gun holster, concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged Holsters? - Proudly made in the USA

I use the Safariland Split Six speedloader pouch. This one shown is for five shot Comp One speedloaders. I believe I got it from Midway.
    Attached Images

Links