Shoulder Holsters. - Page 2

Shoulder Holsters.

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holsters. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine is from Ross Leather - Gun Holsters - Leather Holsters - Concealed Weapon Holsters - Ross Leather . I wear it around town and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder Holsters.

Mine is from Ross Leather - Gun Holsters - Leather Holsters - Concealed Weapon Holsters - Ross Leather.

I wear it around town and the house whenever possible.

Pros:
    Easier on my (literally) disabled hips. I wear IWB at work, and it can really hurt after a while. Want to take a break from the constant "shift-n-shove" on your belt? Try one on.

More ammo! With a better rig, you have incentive to carry more ammo (usually as a counterbalance).

Everyone looks at your belt. Your torso is unexpected to most people. Like any other CC method, you will swear that anyone can see it, but I have carried a G21SF with an extended magazine and two spare extended magazines in mine with no one noticing.

Drive or sit much? This may be the perfect answer. Very easy to access even with a seatbelt from either side of the car (driver or passenger side).

Cons:
    Heavy on the shoulders. It can really let you know that you're carrying a full-sized gun and "45 of .45" after a minute. I got used to it, but some folks really hate the feeling.

Drawing "sweeps" your left (for a righty) side unless you draw at a downward angle. Your arm is in the way too.

Re-holstering will be a two-handed job unless you're sitting down in a sturdy, high-backed chair.

Peeking potential. Unless you have a back-strap (like mine), bending over can swing the gun out to say hello.

Just three more things:
    1. As stated above, adjustment is key. You will spend a good amount of time in front of a mirror over and again. The WWW is the Acid test of your newfound skills...

2. If you're like me (6'4"/235 lbs), you can get away with just a good Dickies cover shirt. They make dressy and casual now, so you can still look professional/respectable. If you are a more "efficiently sized" individual, most leather holster producers make shoulder holsters for compact and even pocket guns. Otherwise, you'll be looking at a heavy jacket for concealment.

3. If anyone does see it, it does not exactly scream "CRIMINAL!" Quite the opposite, in fact...

Hope this helps!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Mine is from Ross Leather - Gun Holsters - Leather Holsters - Concealed Weapon Holsters - Ross Leather.

...If anyone does see it, it does not exactly scream "CRIMINAL!" Quite the opposite, in fact...

Hope this helps!
    This is a very good point in support of the over-the-shoulder 'gun' holder. Unless you wear a black suit with a black shirt and white tie, folks may simply make you as a LEO. More to what I said earlier; the shoulder rig has great attributes in terms of seemingly universal access, albeit the need for an over shirt, coat, or similar.

Sidebar: In terms of vulnerability, I rate the shoulder holster as high, whereas an appendix carry is low.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I agree with the posts above, I have a few, but rarley use them.
    In the late fall, winter, & early spring, when you can wear a jacket or unbuttoned shirt to cover it, they are great.

I also wear my shoulder holsters under really loose sweat shirts too, which works really well with the horizontal style, which I adjust to be muzzle high for an easy draw.

IMHO, vertical style for long barrel revolvers or really large auto's, horizontal style for snubs and autos up to 5 inchs.

They are really comfortable, if you get a good one, and you can get many options for the opposite side from the holster. On the opposite side you can carry another gun, speed loaders, extra magazines, a tactical light, handcuffs (LEO), or combinations of. I used a Galco on the job that held my G27 right side, and two magazine's left side, tied down to a handcuff/magazine holder on my left belt. Then I always clipped a sure fire to the front left strap. Everything I needed right there. Lights have gotten smaller and brighter now, and I"m no longer LE, so I carry a light in one holder, and extra magazine in the other holder on the left side.

Get a good one, and I bet you will really like it, even if you don't use it much.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Unless you wear a black suit with a black shirt and white tie...
    Hey! I wear that to work sometimes!

Good psychological advantage. Less likely to argue with an identified "Chief of Security" who looks like that.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

A shoulder rig screams "pro" more than "enemy".....worth the cash for the times yoiu carry it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I considered purchasing one not too long ago, but I bet I don't wear a jacket 20 days a year.

I really like shoulder holsters. At 5'6" tall and 155 pounds, I am not a large person, but they seem to conceal well on my body. I like them. They have their drawbacks, but once you have them fitted properly, nothing beats them for comfort or concealibility. Maybe a good IWB is as good, but it, too has drawbacks. I wear a Galco shoulder holster as often as I can (a Miami Classic for a 1911). With the right cover garment, a shoulder is extremely hard to beat. I wear sport coats a lot and I have them tailored to fit the shoulder holster. Not everyone wears sports coats, so in the summer I tend to wear mine under an oversized, untucked shirt. I bike often - four or five times a week - and I always carry my 1911 in a shoulder holster on a bike. When I run, OK, I find some other way to carry.

A shoulder holster is not for all occassions, but I try to make it fit as many occassions as I can. It is by far my favorite way to carry. Besides, not to sound stupid or flippant, shoulder holster carry doesn't interfere when you have to go to the bathroom.

VIP Member
    The bathroom thing is valid and I like that aspect a lot. There is no holster for all occasions. I have four for just one gun, and I bounce around with the temps and wardrobe. Currently, I have 3xIWB's and 1xOWB and it's a real $-PITA...
    Last edited by Saber; May 7th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    For comfort, I really prefer my shoulder rig and would wear it all of the time if possible (High Noon Under Armor). I am lucky, my "normal" attire in the cooler months is a T-Shirt with the loose unbuttoned flannel shirt over it, perfect concealment for the rig. I also wear the rig on my motorcycle as I usually always wear a jacket of some sort. I second the comments about long drives make the rig the better option. The only thing I have not done is OC with the rig, it is a little too "in your face" for that, although if driving and I get gas I do not worry about it, never got any second looks.

daircreek, +1 on the Triple K , I use one for my G19 in the woods. great rig for the money.

New to the forum, but wanted to share an opinion (for what it's worth). I spent a good amount of time researching shoulder rigs before settling on the Andrews Monarch model, fitted for S&W Bodyguard and Centennial models. It is extremely well-crafted, and has an adjustable backstrap which eliminates pistol sway and the need for a belt tie down. I opted for a three speedloader pouch which does an excellent job of offsetting the actual weight of the pistol (less of a concern when carrying an Airweight).

Two things to consider: Cost ... The Monarch is not inexpensive, but IMO worth every penny. Fitting/Break In ... It took a while to get the straps exactly where I need them to be, but once there, the rig is very comfortable.

Overall, I think shoulder holsters are definitely an acquired taste, and not for everyone. That said, I'm very pleased with the Monarch, and Mr. Andrews is a true gentleman to work with.

...being a smartcarry type who is mostly mobile, a factor in favor for shoulder holsters is easy access when sitting in a car or at the computer terminal. I also echo the earlier point that for those of us with lower back problems, a shoulder rig can be VERY confortable in comparison to IWB or the like when stuck in the auto all day or that sciatica is acting up.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

I use an X15 Bianchi vertical rig on occasion. I like it best when hiking around in the woods in winter. I find it easier to get to the gun when wearing multiple layers and an outer garmet than I can with any OWB rig. The only quicker alternative is pocket carry in the outer garmet.

The X15 can be adjusted to fit over the bulky under-layers and to be accessible just under the outer garmet. The outer garmet can be kept unzipped enough for quick access to the piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links