Shoulder Holsters.

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holsters. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you use shoulder holsters, for what reasons. How do you compare shoulder holsters compared to side or belt holsers. What are the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holsters.

Shoulder Holsters.

How many of you use shoulder holsters, for what reasons. How do you compare shoulder holsters compared to side or belt holsers. What are the ups and downs. I'm trying to figure if I should invest in one and how concealable is the shoulder holsters!

2. Remove Ads

drw
    I have a Don Hume shoulder rig. The only time I wear it is in the spring and fall when I have a light Jacket that I'm not going to take off. Although I really like it for those times. I don't think you would find it very usefull in the summer in your neck of the woods.

The conventional wisdom on shoulder holsters is that they're good if you drive a lot or spend a lot of time at a desk. Like DRW says, you'll need to wear a jacket. So down here in the south, IWB or OWB is the more common option. I'm looking to add a shoulder rig to my collection, but it won't be for EDC.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

You have to have a coat with a shoulder holster to conceal it. There are a couple types one holds the weapon pointed upwards and the other holds the weapon horizontal to the floor. One type points the weapon towards your underarm and the other points it at whoever is behind you. Needless to say, I wore one while on the police department, but have never worn one since I retired.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You have to have a coat with a shoulder holster to conceal it. There are a couple types one holds the weapon pointed upwards and the other holds the weapon horizontal to the floor. One type points the weapon towards your underarm and the other points it at whoever is behind you. Needless to say, I wore one while on the police department, but have never worn one since I retired.
    Not to mention you are going to muzzle sweep a large area when you draw. Since you have to wear a coat/jacket, just go OWB.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    If you sit alot or drive alot the shoulder holster has a comfort edge. I use one when my back is bothering me and I need to lose the belt and weight of the gun. Proper concealment clothes are a must. It is possible to use a shirt but the gun has to be pretty small. Usually a jacket is needed.

I use a Galco Miami Classic as well as a Galco Half Harness. Usually I limit my shoulder holstered guns to smaller framed guns of moderate weight. A heavier gun can literally become a pain in the neck.

I also have a Cobra, but I much prefer the Galcos.

If you are active during the day a shoulder holster can become annoying and running can become a rib bashing affair.

If you choose a shoulder holster, do it because your garb or activity level warrant one...not because they are "cool". The cool will wear off quickly. If you still want one, then get a good one and spend the time fitting it to you. Practice the draw as it is harder and slower to draw from a shoulder holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    If you sit alot or drive alot the shoulder holster has a comfort edge. I use one when my back is bothering me and I need to lose the belt and weight of the gun. Proper concealment clothes are a must. It is possible to use a shirt but the gun has to be pretty small. Usually a jacket is needed.

I use a Galco Miami Classic as well as a Galco Half Harness. Usually I limit my shoulder holstered guns to smaller framed guns of moderate weight. A heavier gun can literally become a pain in the neck.

I also have a Cobra, but I much prefer the Galcos.

If you are active during the day a shoulder holster can become annoying and running can become a rib bashing affair.

If you choose a shoulder holster, do it because your garb or activity level warrant one...not because they are "cool". The cool will wear off quickly. If you still want one, then get a good one and spend the time fitting it to you. Practice the draw as it is harder and slower to draw from a shoulder holster.
    Yea, hmm, my 1911 is commander length w/ 10 plus 1 rounds and a compensator at the end. Looks like a shoulder holster is for winter if I want to conceal the gun. Thanks for the info guys!

Despite what you'll hear, there are some of us that like and use a shoulder holster on a regular basis. It is normally my EDC method. I use an Andrews Monarch, with a 3 mag holder on the off side.

Additionally, I do this with a Dan Wesson CBOB. Not exactly a small pistol.

I do not have to wear a jacket, I normally get by with an open untucked shirt. I occasionally wear it under a dress shirt that is tucked in.

I did have to spend a considerable amount of trial and error getting it to fit properly. The pistol rides fairly high under my arm with the barrel slanting upwards. This seems to keep both the barrel and the grip from printing on the shirt.

I'm sure physique probably plays a large part in whether you can make this work or not.

While I will also use an OWB carry method, I find that the shoulder holster is by far the most comfortable and practical for me. Far better ease and access in a car, and no issues at all in a restroom. I believe it conceals better than OWB too.

The challenge you'll face is you have to spend some money on a good rig, and experiment to find out if this might work for you.

Good luck.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I have a Little Bear shoulder rig for my G30 for when riding the Harley during the winter months where I can wear a T shirt then the rig and then another shirt or jacket on top. I picked the Little Bear because the holster can be worn vertical or horizontal and with my wife behind me on the Harley, I needed a vertical, muzzle down mount.

So, for me it is a very specific use item that won't get a lot of use but will work perfectly for when I do use it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I just got a jackass rig to run with an Officers size 1911. It makes a lot of things more comfortable, esp. sitting, driving, and I use it on the motorcycle as well.
    You just have to get one and start working on how to use it. Adjustment will take some time, most likely. As with any carry method, dark, patterned shirts are good. I've been adding them to my wardrobe as much as possible. They have to be loose around the body or the rig will print or the shirt will not drape naturally. Also, a T-shirt or undershirt with a tighter crew neck seems to work underneath. "Half-zip" type collars are even better. Ever seen those t-shirts without sleeves? They are making more sense to me now. Wife-beater will not work. A loose crew neck collar can get deformed from the shoulder harness and look strange/un-natural.
    Longer guns will be tougher to conceal (depending on one's build). I got the Jackass because it tilts the muzzle up and conceals a bit better (I think), but the rig can pretty much be tilted as needed by adjusting the straps.
    If you get a rig with a tension screw BE SURE to check it regularly (every wearing is probably best) because the tension screw can loosen and fall out(!) especially when new. If the tension screw and rubber bit fall out, the firearm can fall out of the holster!
    To me, the improved comfort (compared to IWB) of the shoulder holster has been worth the effort.

best,

Dave

VIP Member

..."did he fire six shots or only five"...

I think many of us have a least one tool in the shed that we purchased and seldom use. Well, the shoulder rig is that tool.

When I was a LEO back when the Hells Angels and Iron Horsemen were the thugs of the day, the shoulder rig was very popular, thanks in large measure to ‘Dirty Harry’. Conveniently enough, I lived within a mile or so of John Bianchi’s facility. Every piece of leather I owned was from this wonderful company, and great family! Trivia: I've briefly met them on more than one occasion.

Anyway, today I still have the infamous X15 shoulder holster and I love it! It’s as classic and retro as you can possibly get. In fact I’m always looking for excuses to wear it, but as others have mentioned, it represents a small vertical slice in our holster wardrobe. Nevertheless, I'll always have it handy for those tweed coat days...
    Last edited by Saber; May 1st, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You might as well get a shoulder and join the rest of us in having one somewhere in the closet.
    I spent quite a bit on one and seldom use it...maybe once every few years...just not practical for everyday use without a jacket.IMHO

Short answer...save your $$$.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a couple of shoulder holsters and find them to be quite handy when the need for them arises. Let me make a suggestion. I have added a pic from the Cabela's catalogue of a shoulder holster by Triple K. The cost of this holster from Cabela's is less than $75 so one can experiment with the it for a lot less than its higher priced contemporaries in the market. The leather on mine is well cut, soft, and fits on the shoulders quite comfortably. The offside magazine holder is well made and holds two mags such that there is some carry balance between the pistol and the mags.

I carry an all steel 1911 in mine and the holster distributes the weight of the gun (and mags) well. The holster straps are fully adjustable so one can get the holster to fit just about any way desired. I am 6'3" and weigh 260 and found no trouble adjusting the holster to fit me.

For $75 I found this to be an easy and affordable way to check out the holster.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I have an old nylon sholder rig that I salvaged from base security before they could throw them away.

It's a great rig when I drive long distances and during the colder month (I'm in south Georgia, it don't get too cold here for too long) when I can wear a cover garment comfortably.

I don't use it too awfully much but like I said, it's agreat rig for specific, limited use.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have a now-long-discontinued vertical nylon rig that is very comfortable for toting 4"-5" revolvers, but it takes a substantial cover garment to conceal it. For the SIG P229, which are my current duty/carry pistols, I have an Andrews Monarch, a very comfortable leather horizontal rig. Of course, in both cases, comfort is relative, and assumes a fairly cool environment. That is rare outdoors where I live, along the humid Texas coast.

The old nylon rig was great when I did quite a bit of surveillance duty back in the 1980's, seated inside air-conditioned vehicles. (I wore my duty .41 mag sixgun in the shoulder rig, and an HK P7 in a belt holster.) Its wide straps were very pliable, unlike the typically stiffer straps most makers seem to use today. Tussling with one bad guy, however, showed that shoulder rigs are not the greatest for that side of the job.

A niche shoulder rig I sometimes use is the Galco Executive (IIRC) that holds a J-frame horizontally. It is good when I want to wear a shoulder rig under a shirt, especially a certain high-end rayon Western-style shirt with snaps.

FWIW, I am thin, and have long arms. My spider-monkey physique makes it easy to draw from shoulder rigs, but also means I can't hide a very big gun, unless my cover garment is textured and/or patterned to help hide the gun's outline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links