Defensive Carry banner

Breaking in a new 1911 galco summer comfort

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Saber 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased, and the thing is tight as hell. My guess is to slide the 1911 in & out a few thousand times and it'll be fine, but for now, when the gun is fully seated it's near impossible to pull the gun without a self-inflicted wedgie.

It's the correct holster for the gun and rides well. I'm considering that a smear of KY jelly might make it more user friendly but, for obvious reasons, am reluctant.

Ideas?

#7 ·
Don't use anything that will soften the leather,you want the holster to retain the fit,I use either wax paper wrapped around the gun once or twice or a baggie and then shove the gun in and let it sit for several hours/overnight

#3 ·
Wrap the weapon in a single sheet of wax paper..or...brown wrapping paper and holster it overnight. Also, I've actually used a newspaper sheet for the process and it works just as good.

That should loosen-up the tightness just enough, by morning time.

[*** Don't over do the thickness of the wrap ***]

#8 ·
gracias for the input. i'll stoke in wax paper overnight & saran wrap tomorrow. i'm sure holster mileage is the key, but i was mainly hoping for instant gratification in case i needed a quick draw from my BVDs before i go to bed tonight.

#9 ·
I second patience. Galco makes their holsters tight on purpose. The best thing to do with them is just to put the gun in the holster 24/7 and let it sit. No creams or oils or anything; it just needs time to conform to the gun. Give it time and you will have a nice draw with excellent retention.

I have 2 Galco holsters, and both took about a week to stretch appropriately.

#11 ·
Wax paper or a cotton shirt will do the same thing...but no leather softening products.

Actually, if you just take your unloaded gun and the holster each night for the next 3-4 nights and holster/unholster 300-400 times each night, you'll have it working just fine.

I just did that with my two new Fist holsters this week...works great!:wave:

#12 ·
Actually, the instructions for my Galco holster outlined the way to break it in. You're supposed to stick your fingers into the holster and push outward from the inside. You're supposed to do that from both openings multiple times. You also will need to take the safety strap (if there is one) and pull up on it hard, while twisting it in both directions 90 degrees. They specifically stated that leaving the weapon in the holster for a period of time doesn't do anything to break it in, although I personally think it does. I was able to insert and remove my gun quickly and easily from the holster the first night. Since I followed those guidelines, there was no need for any treatments, and there was no need for leaving it holstered for a matter of days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.