Does anybody carry their mags in their pocket?

This is a discussion on Does anybody carry their mags in their pocket? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those that do carry mags in their pockets... Is there someone that makes thin leather type mag pouches or holsters? I have a couple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody carry their mags in their pocket?

Does anybody carry their mags in their pocket?

For those that do carry mags in their pockets... Is there someone that makes thin leather type mag pouches or holsters? I have a couple that I made myself , but figure there has to be something better. Ive seen some, but they are thick, bulky leather. I usually tuck my shirts in at work, so the belt types are not an option.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Mika makes a neat and practical pocket mag holder.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I use an old Bianchi leather one - I removed the spring clip a long time ago.

I have a leather mag holder with a removable belt clip that I wear the majority of the time, but when it's not practical, I just remove the clip and put it in my pocket. Mainly to keep lint and stuff out of it.

A small cell phone case with a belt clip on it work's great, I bought one at the local supermarket for about $7.00 it hold's my .40 or my 45 acp mags with no problem's. Also check out MAGills MASTER OF CONCEALMENT.COM web site he has some nice Mag holders for a decent price also.
    Last edited by REDTAIL; May 2nd, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: ADDED LINES

yup, I carry mine in my pocket..not a problem. If I ever get(as something like a birthday/christmas) present of a mag holder id use it but its not high on my list of must haves. Ive pocket carried my extra mag for YEARS..just make sure you follow 2 rules..make sure the pocket is clean no lint no other junk that could get into the gun or mag BEFORE you put a mag in there(I turn mine inside out and even run the old lint brush on them) and #2 its ONLY for mags...dont throw change, papers,money,keys or anything else in pocket..done this for years(since 1987 or there abouts) As a matter of fact I have a 17 round Ruger SR9c mag in my left shorts cargo pocket as I type this and the Ruger in my Crossbreed holster that I just took off as im getting ready for bed soon.

on that note I may have to look at that Mikas pocket mag holder as a fathers day thought for the kid :)

I have put them in a pocket for travel to Jax or Orlando...can't be too prepared ya' know.
    I also have leather pocket holsters for my .380 mags...if I take the P-3AT along.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, when I carry my PPS or PM9, I sometimes toss the extra mag in my cargo shorts cargo pocket.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

yes i pocket carry mags sometimes. nothing on them, just drop them in.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Ive always been hesitant to carry mags in the pocket w/o something around them. I didnt think about mag holders that had removable belt clips. That makes the most sense. Lets see what we can find online...thanks
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

VIP Member
    My mags fit nicely in the tiny horizontal pocket above the right front pocket of my blue jeans. I just slide a mag in there if I am carrying a spare; keep another spare in the car as well.

I'm not at all sure that that particular pocket is the best place, and I think carrying in a mag holder with a belt hook or loop on my weak side would give better access to the spare mag in an emergency.

cmb
    I use old front pocket wallets... I take the money clip off and sew up a little if it needs tension...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My mags fit nicely in the tiny horizontal pocket above the right front pocket of my blue jeans. I just slide a mag in there if I am carrying a spare; keep another spare in the car as well.
    What kind of mags do you carry?? That coin pocket is barely big enough for my keyless entry fob on any of my jeans. I can't imagine trying to stuff a mag in there.

A word of caution on pocket carrying mags with no protective cover: That's a good way to get lint, dirt, bits of paper, and other bad stuff down deep into the mag.

Then the one time you really need it, you may end up partially feeding a round carrying that gum wrapper you wadded up and forgot about, or getting a chamber full of dust-bunnies. That may sound a bit extreme, but I wouldn't trust a dirty dust-filled mag to operate reliably when I need it to.

One solution is to meticulously clean your pocket, as C Bennett pointed out, but I'd rather just invest in a good mag holster with a removable belt clip and lanyard the thing to your belt so that when you draw the mag, the holster stays behind.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I make a Rough Grab pocket mag holder. They are generally front pocket but I can make them for any pocket and you can even send me a tracing of your pocket and I can make it exact.

Side Guard Holsters - Pocket Grab
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Usually throw a mag in the mag pocket on my 5.11's. Works well except for the kahr magazine usually throws up once or twice. Always have a round or two loose at the end of the day. It's the mag's fault though, not the pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links