Suggestion for S&W .38 642 IWB Holster

This is a discussion on Suggestion for S&W .38 642 IWB Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a IWB holster for a S&W J-frame .38 (model 642). Ideally something that would allow me to tuck my shirt in and hide ...

Thread: Suggestion for S&W .38 642 IWB Holster

Looking for a IWB holster for a S&W J-frame .38 (model 642). Ideally something that would allow me to tuck my shirt in and hide the grip, if such a thing exists.

Any ideas?

IWB for "J" frame

Hi, John. Check out High Noon Holsters. Scroll down to the "Tuckables" and take a look. I tried a "Split Decision", it was OK, but the pistol (S&W 3913TSW) was up against my skin. Not bad, but not what I was looking for. I did a return and opted for a "Closing Argument", because it has a "Slide Guard", which is a leather piece between the pistol and the wearer. That said, The latter holster will take a long time to receive, but quality merchandise.
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Thanks DoubleR, I'll check them out.

Take a look at Tucker Gunleather's Cover Up. I carry my 642 in it more than any other holster I own. (too many to mention) It has a kydex belt clip that is tuckable and allows for adjustment of ride height and cant angle.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Take a look at the In-Discreet Tuckable holster from Mark Garrity. It looks very interesting and well made. I have been half way tempted to give it a try, but I have never tried a tuckable holster and I'm kind of leary of the concept. If I finally break down and get a tuckable holster it will be this one, probably for my J-frame. Whatever you get let us know how it works out.

http://www.garritysgunleather.com/Po...tyHolsters.htm
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I have a Galco USA tuckable that I have tried for my BHP. It fits great and looks like I have a full-size gun under my shirt. :)

I have been trying to find one for the J-frame. They seem to be out of stock and back-ordered at the places I've tried.

I like the Galco UDC and USA models (UDC-158 fits the J-frame, btw) because the clip that hooks under the belt is really narrow. It can be hidden behind a belt loop fairly easily by canting the holster somewhat.

The Galco is also horsehide and stiffer than cowhide. Makes reholstering a bit easier but is still pretty thin.

No, I don't work for Galco. :) Just rambling somethings that I've discovered.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the Split Decision from High Noon Holsters. Rather than plunk down $80+ for a IWB I wanted to make sure it was tolerable to wear first. I generally wear a t-shirt under my outer shirt, plus the 642 has a rounded profile so I don't anticipate any rubbing of the skin as DoubleR experienced.

I did like the InDiscreet Tuckable with the belt clib disguised as a key fob. May consider that if IWB works for me.

Thanks again.

Well after trying out the Split Decision I have to say I'm less than satisfied.

I like the fact that I can tuck in my shirt, but the holster will not retain the gun at all (yes I've tightened the adjustment screw).

The holster is not made to fit the gun, it's more like a "pouch" that will fit many guns, none of them well.

Quite a few times the 642 came out enough for the trigger to be exposed. Unacceptable in my opinion.

It might have worked better if there was a retention strap and/or the holster was molded to fit the 642.

So still looking for a 642 IWB holster.

I also carry in a Tucker cover-up. I use the kydex c-clip on mine. The holster is very very comfortable. It can be raised or lowered or canted for the perfect fit. I carry a 940 or a 642 in mine. Move the holster around on your hip until you find the best spot. I've had my holster for over two years. I highly recommend it.

Does Milt Sparks make the VM-II for revolvers????

John do you live in Indiana????

I'm carrying a 638 in a FIST kydex tuckable IWB. I made a few modifications like increasing the rake and raising the carry height. Also took off a little of the kydex "flare" off the inside next to my skin. Think it cost around $60 at the local gunshop. It now carries very comfortably and with decent retention. The kydex is harder on the finish though than leather.

Eric

Sponsored Links