Single Clip IWB Such as High Noon Tailgunner?

This is a discussion on Single Clip IWB Such as High Noon Tailgunner? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing a bunch of research on a new IWB holster and am curious if anyone has any experience with a single clip IWB ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Clip IWB Such as High Noon Tailgunner?

Single Clip IWB Such as High Noon Tailgunner?

I've been doing a bunch of research on a new IWB holster and am curious if anyone has any experience with a single clip IWB such as the High Noon Tailgunner:

Tail Gunner W/Clip

My main concern is how stable the holster is with just a single clip. I currently use a SuperTuck and it's very stable while being very physically active as well as while drawing and I wonder whether a single clip holster can be as reliable at staying in place.

The High Noon Tailgunner is obviously addressing that potential problem in a single clip design with the use of that 'stabilizer wing' as they call it.

Does anyone have personal experience with a single clip IWB generically or the Tailgunner specifically?

I'm also considering the High Noon Tailgate:

Tail Gate

The difference is that the clip is constructed so that a shirt is tuckable between the clip and the holster. My concern here is the same: Will it be stable, because now the clip is not as rigidly attached to the holster as with the Tailgunner.

Any experience with the Tailgate model?

Thanks in advance.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I use a Pro Carry LT with a single clip and don't have any problem. I think dual clips spread the weight more efficiently, but other than that, no diff.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think it depends on your needs (Where & what you're carrying). I've had no problems with single clip holsters. I've had others, but I've mostly used UBG holsters' "Nassar" model. Admittedly, I tend to carry appendix (At about 12:30-1:00).

The manufacturer does matter in that I've had clips that wore out over time. UBG's didn't & I wouldn't expect High Noons to, either.

If you are looking for a tuckable holster, though, I'd recommend one with a tuckable clip, like High Noons Tail Gate instead of the Tail Gunner. JMHO.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I am not familiar with that particular holster, however I have never met a single clip holster that I like better than a double clip one. All holsters experience some torquing when firearm is drawn. Just like door locks, bullets and close air support, two are better than one.

Now if you are talking about an NAA mini, one will do the trick.
    Rob

BiancheriUSA.com

Administrator
    I was skeptical at first about the single clip system, as I had some not so positive experiences with single clipped designs. However the High Noon clip is very robust and strong. With a proper belt, there is no issue with their clip.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I recently tried my first single clip IWB and did not like it. I thought I would since I was using it to carry a small gun (Kahr PM9) but it was not comfortable and not very stable. I don't know if it was the holster in question, or the design in general

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    One thing I've noticed about single clip designs is that:

1. The clip needs to be a good one (Obviously).
    2. Offset single clip does not work that well.

I've tried a couple different offset single clip designs (Both kydex & leather) & they're just not that stable. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of single offset clips/loops in general.

I do think it also depends on where you carry it. For appendix carry (My preferred location), a single clip works very well, but an offset doesn't. JMHO.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Sixto got it right. The generic, home hobbyist, over the counter clips that anyone can eagerly buy gives the single clip design a bad reputation. Combine the three evils. A bad holster design, a cheap clip and a non reinforced belt and there you have it, a recipe for disaster.

Take Care
    Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

VIP Member
    I have both of these on order. Desbiens and Alessi respectively. They are held secure with the belt tension although it's a crapshoot until they arrive. I selected these specifically because of the off-set from the cylinder doesn't add to the bulk/protrusion from the waistline.
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I use a High Noon Public Secret holster with there rock steady belt for my Glock 23 in appendix carry and feel very secure and confident with it. The single clip used is a quality product.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I use a Del Fatti offset clip for my 442...I find that it works fine with a light gun...I probably would not use it with a 1911....

Saber...those look like nice rigs...just remember the Alessi clip goes under the belt and hooks on the seam...the talon clip is not designed to go over a belt...that could break it....you probably knowthis already but just a heads up in case you didn't...

I have a High Noon single clip for Taurus 709. The clip is "industrial grade". With a good belt the holster isn't going anywhere.

I have about 6 of these for various guns, and they have worked very well... FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    My objection regarding a single clip or even straps at that location is that it makes the holster thicker there and it prints more for me. (especially straps, a clip wouldn't be as bad) I prefer the attachments in front and behind the main body of the holster.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Actually, the 'Deep Concealment' holster clip is off-set from the cylinder so an outward projection isn't an issue. However, the arrangement isn't quite what I had in mind. Despite its intended carry, I'm only comfortable with it, when clipped over a thin belt.

Who knows, perhaps the Milt Sparks V-Max is the way to go, or maybe the Ted Blocker LFI. My goal was to have a lean clip-on that would conceal well and clip on/off with ease. Fact is, carried in the fashion illustrated, it actually does accomplish my goal albeit the jerry-rig.

So many holsters, and so little time...
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links