Fobus

Fobus

This is a discussion on Fobus within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a long and exhaustive search to what seemed like the far corners of the Earth, I finally found and purchased a LH Fobus paddle ...

Thread: Fobus

Fobus

After a long and exhaustive search to what seemed like the far corners of the Earth, I finally found and purchased a LH Fobus paddle for my XD. These things are apparently as alusive as bigfoot, with many people reporting its exsistance, but few alive that have ever seen it......

Anyway....I was told by one place that they were going to stop selling Fobus because they break easily and are not a quality product from a weapon retention point of view. After playing with mine for a while, even though I'm no expert, I believe their opinions to be unfounded. To draw the weapon, you have to snap it out at the angle it sits in the holster, a slight forward cant. I don't think it would be easy for anyone to take it away from the wearer, and its so tight that I don't think it would bounce out on its own. Has anyone had problems with Fobus holsters?

Lead Moderator
    Some Fobus were made tight, some loose. My buddies Fobus for his PPK was way loose. My HK has never fell out of my fobus. I don't like the Fobus, because they tend to stck way out from the body and print badly. I much prefer my Blackhawk Serpa holster. It holds tighter to the body.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Not a fobus fan here either seen a few of them break

Assistant Administrator
    I started with a Fobus way back for my P95 - it was OK but ..... !!

Draw was OK as long as snappy and decisive but they do not sit tight to body well enough IMO - that was my main complaint.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Do they break after a while because of the way you have to draw, or is it other things? It seems to be pretty comfortable, but it does print badly under a t-shirt. I've wanted to carry with it, but find myself uncomfortable with the fact that it might be seen, so I default back to my belly band. The belly band is good for the fact that I carry it high so my arm protects it, but it gets uncomfortable after awhile, itchy and hot. I need a comfortable holster that conceals well and I don't have to worry about retention. Any ideas??? THe Blackhawk looks good, but the ones I've seen look bulky. The Fobus is nice as a range holster, but I don't think I'll be able to conceal it.

Assistant Administrator
    Fobus if really heaved on can break it seems but in fact under almost all conditions I'd say that is pretty unlikely. Paddle is main one that can bust at the rivets if really heaved on hard.

To be honest - and most here will I think endorse this - you really need a good custom leather rig - on a good belt. Whether you go IWB or OWB depends on your concealment garment options, mode of dress etc. I favor OWB and find it holds in just as tight as IWB - just means a bit of the rig lower part to conceal extra.

We have several holster makers on the board - and I think if you go to the links link up top you'll find some useful ones to peruse.

In fact too - a good many XD folks here with nice rigs - who can I am sure give their 2c also.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Fobus if really heaved on can break it seems but in fact under almost all conditions I'd say that is pretty unlikely. Paddle is main one that can bust at the rivets if really heaved on hard.
    yeah like on that video that was posted on here a while back where the guy ripped off the other guys gun and Fobus holster, breaking it at the paddle. Keeping in mind that it was set up and thats what they wanted to show, that it could be ripped off like that. IIRC tho, the guy with the holster on just stood there and let him rip it off, don't know how hard it would of been if there were some resistance, but it took quite a tug or two to get it off.
    RKBA

John

Lead Moderator
    You get what you pay for in holsters. Be it kydex, leather or nylon. The BH Serpa isn't bulky, about the same size as a leather holster. I think a few holster makers are making for the XD or the HS200 guns. Or a nice custom rig from one of the makers here might be a good option.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Weve had simliar threads on this before that were cussed and discussed at great detail.

May take on it is that the Fobus does good for what it was designed for. It was not meant for concealment. Like any other holster it can fail. For the range,they are great,I have several of them and they are easy on, easy off.

They also make some models that can be screwed under a table or such and they retain the weapon very well. As far as I know, they are about the only major manufacturer that does that.

Thanks to you all for the good info. I never considered the rivets being an issue with the fobus, but I can see it happening because that seems to be the weakest part of the whole thing.

VIP Member
    I own a Fobus in a shoulder rig and it is fine. I never ownwd one in a paddle. I seem to have a problem with paddle holsters. They seem to pull up when drawing. I hate to have to draw and find out when I'm extending my arm that my holster is still attach to my weapon. I really perfer a belt holster.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have a Fobus and its not all that great. If going the cheap route I'd go with a Uncle Mikes Kydex for about the same price. Heck Blade Tec was selling a rig for not much more.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have three Fobus holsters a paddle for my ruger MKII, a roto paddle for my glock and an ankle for my G27. I like them as said before they are cheap and perform ok. The ankle is probably the best one for the money.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Administrator
    I do not like paddle holsters & I do not like the Fobus paddle holsters for concealment. They do not pull the firearm in close enough to the body. In that regard they are terrible.
    DITTO: Save it for the range or for camping or something but, buy another holster for concealment. Trust me you'll be glad that you did.
    I do not consider any of the Fobus owb holsters to be suitable for best concealment.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Never had any paddle issues. My Serpa gets the paddle used more than the belt slide.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsored Links