Ritchie Leather Co.

This is a discussion on Ritchie Leather Co. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Located near Buffalo, NY and run by Skip and Bob Ritchie in Alessi's old shop in Amherst. Skip Ritchie is the former business partner and ...

Thread: Ritchie Leather Co.

Cool Ritchie Leather Co.

Located near Buffalo, NY and run by Skip and Bob Ritchie in Alessi's old shop in Amherst. Skip Ritchie is the former business partner and protege of the late Mr. Lou Alessi.

I called and talked to Bob about making me a CQ-QR holster and double mag pouch for my H&K P30 9mm. Unfortunately they didn't have a dummy gun to use.

The next day I get a call from Bob on my cell phone and said he had some good news, a guy just happened to come into the shop with the same gun wanting the same rig as me.

He said I would be getting the rig lightning fast. He wasn't joking. From the time I ordered, it took a week to be made and go from NY to KS.

Their website should be up and running before long. Also, Bob was a real pleasure to talk with. Easy going guy with a sense of humor.

Excellent craftsmanship!

Last edited by bc5000; May 8th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have heard nothing but good comments about Richie. Nice workmanship too!
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Nice post and good pics of some fine craftsmanship.
    that said, their website doesn't come up when clicked..

The one in the pic looks good. I ordered the same holster from Lightning Arms Sports and it was in bad shape. The finish was bright in some places and dull in others not to mention cracked all over the place and flaking off in my hands. I couldn't believe it. I sent it back and ordered a holster from 5 shot leather. LAS is a great bunch to deal with. Their customer service is top notch. I marked Ritchie leather off my list.

From the pictures posted above, I find the Alessi version a little bit more "refined" so to speak.

They look great....nicely made and very consistent in quality form wehat I have heard from different purchasers.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by grimm View Post
    From the pictures posted above, I find the Alessi version a little bit more "refined" so to speak.
    WOW, don't know how much more refined. Those pics look great to me!
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLaw View Post
    The one in the pic looks good. I ordered the same holster from Lightning Arms Sports and it was in bad shape. The finish was bright in some places and dull in others not to mention cracked all over the place and flaking off in my hands. I couldn't believe it. I sent it back and ordered a holster from 5 shot leather. LAS is a great bunch to deal with. Their customer service is top notch. I marked Ritchie leather off my list.
    Wow, that's surprising from Richie. I'm thinking of ordering the Stakeout IWB from LA, but I will ask them to make sure its good to go.
    5 Shot is great also.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLaw View Post
    BigLaw is correct in that he did receive a problematic holster.
    Our own qulatiy control was lacking and we apologized to the deputy for his inconvenience and immediately remedied the situation. Once we were aware of the finish issue we closely inspected our Ritchie stock and took action with the affected holsters. We also spoke with Skip Ritchie and was informed that there was a problem with the acryllic used in one batch which he was unaware of at the time and the chemical issues did not develop until after he had shipped our order. This is an unfortunate fluke that could happen to any maker at any time and is NOT THE NORM for Ritchie Leather. What matters most is how the customer is taken care of. As for our company we will be more vigilant in our qulaity control.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I spoke with Skip today and what had happened is the dye used on the affected holsters had frozen and broken down in transit. When initially applied to the holsters everything was fine but over time it caused the finish to crack. Unfortunate and could happen to anyone and definitely not the norm for Skip.

I just realised that every time I sit down, my pocket knife that is clipped on my pocket is cutting into the holster belt loop. Got to remember to take the knife off.

It didn't take long for the holster to break in. Very pleased with it!

Administrator

Post This is an absolutely true statement

"We also spoke with Skip Ritchie and was informed that there was a problem with the acrylic used in one batch which he was unaware of at the time and the chemical issues did not develop until after he had shipped our order."

Absolutely true. I have worked with vegetable tanned leather for many years.
    Leather is an organic natural material & sometimes odd things just happen.
    It's also very possible for an error in the initial tanning process to affect the leather finish way on down down the road or for trace residual tanning compounds to chemically react with a final finish.
    It would be impossible for the maker to know that there was any sort of problem beforehand and before the cosmetic defect or defects actually occurred.
    That would be unless the maker finished his leather goods and then just shelved them for a month (or so) before shipping them out and that sure would not make his/her customers too very happy.

Also unless the holster maker was also a chemist with an analytical lab at his disposal it would be impossible for the maker to know that any specific batch of an acrylic finish was acting problematic.

The important thing is that either the maker or the distributer rectify the situation and make things right in a reasonable amount of time and without any hassle.

It sure sounds like that was done and I don't know that anybody could expect any more than that from either the maker or distributor.

These days finding a MAKER or distributor so ready, willing, & able to make any problem right would (to me) be a reason to keep that maker on my list of GOOD holster makers and suppliers....rather than cross them off.

Just my own personal logical educated opinion.

Links