clip draw ?

This is a discussion on clip draw ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive been looking into this. i mostly carry owb 96 percent of the time at 3:00 3:30 position i do have a iwb holster but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clip draw ?

Question clip draw ?

ive been looking into this. i mostly carry owb 96 percent of the time at 3:00 3:30 position i do have a iwb holster but im not a big fan of them i usually just stick in in my pants if im running out real quick i have a 34 waist and wear a 34 pant so the gun dont move on me. but im just wondering does anyone use one whats your thoughts on it.

p.s. it would be for a glock 19

2. Remove Ads

I tried one years ago. I practice with what I carry. The results were a nasty laceration on my finger while racking the slide. Between that and having an uncovered trigger, I strongly vote NO.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I know some do it, but I'd just be uncomfortable carrying a gun, especially a Glock, W/O a holster. It just doesn't seem safe, plus maybe not that comfortable & if it's during the summer, I'd rather have something between me & the gun.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I carried my Glock 29 using a Jentra Clip but I also added a NY trigger spring to increase the trigger pull to 12lbs. Easier to install and remove in my opinion.
    Jentra Parts jentra klip inside the waistband fo-MidwestHuntersOutlet.com

It looks something like this....
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I use one the vast majority of the time with my XD. Here's a review I did A while ago.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Glock + Clip Draw = Vasectomy! OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Glock + Clip Draw = Vasectomy! OMOYMV
    Yes...agreed.....just wouldnt do it with anything other than a revolver.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Generally, carrying any handgun in a manner other than a holster, you risk an ND...why? Uncovered triggers are not good for open or concealed carry.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Clip draw? IMO, there are plenty of better ways and means.

Has anyone heard of an ND that can be attributed to a clipdraw? What kind of funny stuff would one have to have going on in their pants to actuate a long-pull trigger? If someone were concerned, I would think a glock safe-t-block would cover that. I'd probably even use one for uber-redundancy if that made one for the XD, but don't feel unsafe whatsoever once the weapon is "holstered." I do take care to keep my hand off the grip-safety that the glocks lack....
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I have a Kel Tec P11 and use the K tec factory clip.
    It works, and for the life of me Cannot see how one would have An AD/ND, UNLESS you inadverdantly put your finger on the trigger while drawing, which might also happen with a conventional holster.
    I don't think I would use one with an exposed hammer-fired weapon, Revolver-1911-or something with an exposed hammer, that did not have a Decocker

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself."Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I suppose the XD, which has a grip safety, might be less likely to ND if just jammed behind my belt, but I personally would not carry this way without a trigger guard. Thus if I wanted to carry this way I'd probably get a Zack Concealment Holster. You loop the cord around your belt, snap the "holster" over your trigger guard (thereby shielding the trigger), and insert the gun behind your belt. During the draw the "holster" is pulled off the trigger guard, thereby exposing the trigger.

ZACK CONCEALMENT HOLSTER

The Vanguard Trigger Holster does the same thing, and fits some guns the Zach does not:

http://www.themalabarfront.com/produ...oducts_id=1617
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Has anyone heard of an ND that can be attributed to a clipdraw? What kind of funny stuff would one have to have going on in their pants to actuate a long-pull trigger? If someone were concerned, I would think a glock safe-t-block would cover that. I'd probably even use one for uber-redundancy if that made one for the XD, but don't feel unsafe whatsoever once the weapon is "holstered." I do take care to keep my hand off the grip-safety that the glocks lack....
    From another forum: ND at Church Tonight

So I'm standing in the sound booth at church after service tonight when a lady from my small group walks up and says, "Kevin - is there any thing we need to do if a gun went off in class?" I almost thought she was kidding, until I realized she was shaking ever so slightly. There are several police officers in my small group and most of the rest of the class took their CHL class together, so it's a possibility. I ask her if anyone is hurt - she says no, it just went straight into the floor. Then I tell her I'll contact security and let them know.

After the head of security catches up with me, I let him know what I know and he calls over the uniformed police officers. After a little pow-wow they decide the best route would be for me to go into the room and ask the guy who did it to come out and talk to them (rather than disturbing the whole class, since they decided to go on with their night). I walk in and ask the guy to come out in the hall. He's visited a couple of times, but I don't really know him - turns out he's a cop. The cops pull him into my office (since it was nearby) and examine him and the gun to make sure he's alright. Turns out he was shifting his Kel Tec P32 from where it was clipped onto his waist band and putting it in his holster. It apparently went off when he pulled it out, because there's a hole right in the middle of [edited] his pants
    In a later post, it was confirmed a "bolt on clip"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Clip draw as money clip

I have been using my clip draw on my Glock 17 for years.

It works GREAT as a money clip when used in a GOOD leather holster.

You should see the would be burglars face when he asks for my wallet.

Problem solved.

I too have used the belt clip for the Kel-Tec P-11. The P-11 has a double action only trigger pull that is somewhat long and stiff. It is basically a double action revolver with a magazine instead of a cylinder. I carry it with the gun under my trousers with the belt clip over the upper waist band of the trousers and under the belt at the 3 o-clock position. It is very comfortable and conceals nicely under any untucked shirt. This method of carry is also convenient as there is no holster to have to be threaded on my belt or attached in any way when returning home or heading out. I just loosen my belt one notch and carefully position the gun under the waistband with a forward slant. I usually try to tuck the clip through under the 3 o-clock belt loop from front to back to help maintain the cant, though this is not really necessary. This is my preferred form of carry 90 % of the time. I also have a Milt Sparks VMII for my lightweight commander that I sometimes carry. It is a very nice and comfortable holster!! But I still find myself shunning it in favor of the ease of just tucking the P-11 uner my waistband without having to fool with putting on the holsther then inserting the commander.

The belt clip on the P-11 works for me!

I also have a belt clip for the 1911 but I have never tried it??

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links