Have you ever

This is a discussion on Have you ever within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yep. i carry about 2:30-3:00. can draw from my back with no problem. Now if I am laying on my right side for some reason ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever

yep. i carry about 2:30-3:00. can draw from my back with no problem. Now if I am laying on my right side for some reason (which wouldnt be on perpose, oww), i cant imagine me not being able to flop myself enough to roll onto my back. If I can't do that, then I cant move enough to use a gun anways.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Yes.
    Also (for me anyways) validates my point of a second gun.

dan
    Could not agree more Dan.

One available for primary and one weak hand back pocket.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Nope, but I can think of other nonlinear positions that could impede my draw. For every method of carry, there are benefits and drawbacks. In large measure, our daily lives involve walking and sitting, and holsters accommodate these two primary activities. I suppose a shoulder holster could facilitate more possibilities although other restrictions may apply.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I carry OWB behind the hip & due to the way I'm set up with more "forward cant" than is typical - I need to begin my draw from leather with my support side hand from BEHIND THE BACK...without an ideal grip on my firearm, then momentarily rest the muzzle on the mouth of the holster, then attain my ideal grip & then go to a one handed presentation on my support side without muzzle-crossing myself.

Since I'm fairly ambidextrous (and can even write and perform most tasks about equally (but, not quite) equally with either my left or right hand) it's not a super difficult task.
    It's possible to accomplish safely and successfully with a goodly amount of practice...and I do practice it often but, having an easy access BUG on my support side is my more viable and preferred option.
    So I always carry a BUG.
    It's an advantage to have more than one workable and practiced option.

Regarding: "laying flat on your back or up against a wall or vehicle"
    I've not found to be too very problematic.
    Just curious. Do you have some special reason for using what sounds like a very unique and difficult draw? I'm having a hard time trying to picture it in my limited mind.

Coupling high threat driving (vehicle in motion), vehicle tactics (working in and around the vehicle once it is stopped), and firearms takes lots of work....lots of work. In the last month or so I have taught high threat driving and vehicle tactics to citizens and deploying military personal. Here are some of my thoughts-

People know much less about driving under regular conditions than they think, you add and combative stress and they fall apart, without the gun work added.

You need to realize that seat belts are for restraining you. You need to have a principle based plan that allows you to get out of them by touch, no matter what vehicle, and what position you find yourself in. Taking off your seat belt should be part of your draw stroke. Doing this can cause fumbles but no where near the amount that trying to draw without undoing the seat belt first will.

A vehicle that is not moving is a death trap. The only thing worse than not moving is being seated and not moving.

Drive
    Undo seat belt
    Access weapon
    Fight/get out/fight
    Seek cover but do not hug it

As far as spinning your gun belt, IMHO that is wishful thinking. If your belt and holster fit right it will be impossible even with time. I would be thinking reaction side weapon. But that is me, and I am a big guy. If you are smaller you may be able reach it. Much harder with a duty holster with retention.- George

los
    On long anticipated drives I always unholster and place my weapon in a gun tote - soft case which sits right next to my right leg. I leave the case partially zipped to have quick effortless access to the piece.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Nope, but I can think of other nonlinear positions that could impede my draw. For every method of carry, there are benefits and drawbacks. In large measure, our daily lives involve walking and sitting, and holsters accommodate these two primary activities. I suppose a shoulder holster could facilitate more possibilities although other restrictions may apply.
    Ahhhh! The voice of reason. You just can't have everything your way in life.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Very good thread. There always seems to be compromises (Good & bad points) of any type of carry. However, quite a few yrs ago I came to the conclusion that appendix IWB carry was ideal for me, for many of the reasons sited here.

In any situation, but obviously while in & around a car, having your handgun out side of your hips increases the difficulty of accessing your firearm quickly &, if needed, with your off-hand.

Appendix carry enables me to access it with either hand AND if I find myself on my back or against an obstacle.

Throw in force on force excercises & it's easy to see why one "should" have their firearm within their hips. While it's not the "real thing", force on force is probably the best way to see how things happen with the stress & dynamics of a real-life threat occurring.

Out of curiosity, Mercop, how do you carry normally?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Most of these days it is a Kel Tec 380 in my pocket or IWB apex carry in knives by Matt at index. His Synergy IWB holster rocks for apex carry. When something bigger is in order it is a G23 or CZ75 apex as well. Do you see a trend here?- George

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links