Is the Recluse Holster Safe?

This is a discussion on Is the Recluse Holster Safe? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi so I just got a Ruger LCP as my "no excuse not to carry" gun. Anyway so I'm looking for a pocket holster. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi so I just got a Ruger LCP as my "no excuse not to carry" gun. Anyway so I'm looking for a pocket holster. It has to be very thin and totally hide the outline of the gun. It looks like the Recluse is the only one that fits that bill. My question though is- is it safe? How will I not accidentially put my finger on the trigger when I am pulling it out?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

I use a pocket holster from TNT Custom Leather made right here in Minnesota. Here's a link to their web site.
    TNT Custom Leather

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I personally wouldn't carry a holster that does not cover the trigger, especially if it's one in my pocket where I might have to put my hand in quickly, under stress.
    Here is what I have:
    Pocket Holsters
    It prints/carries like a wallet.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Isn't that thing thick? It has 3 layers of leather... how well does that fit in your pants? Plus it has a flat bottom- I plan on carrying in my front pocket...
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    I looked at it a while back. I liked that it made room for a spare magazine, but the exposed trigger was a deal-killer for me. Put me in the happy Pocket Holsters customer category.

Another Pocket Holsters user here. No issue, even in thin dress pants and business suits. I added some velcro (the "hook" side) to the back to make sure it stays in the pocket during the draw.

I was looking at the Recluse, but their web site says you must remove the holster from the pocket to re-holster.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I looked at the Recluse website and promptly discounted it as feasible for me.

Personally, I like the DeSantis Nemesis or the Fist #5 Pocket holster.

While I haven't tried this one, I'm definitely interested in it's possibilites.

The LCP Pocket Holster
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

+1 for DeSantis Nemesis. Also used Uncle Mikes pocket holster. The trigger MUST be covered to be safe, especially in the front pocket.

but really the trigger is covered with that block thing.... I just don't know how you can retreave it without putting your finger on the trigger. Doesn't the DeSantis Nemesis print?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Some folks aren't paying close attention to the Recluse design.....

Look closely at the pictures on their website and you'll see that it has the most secure trigger of any pocket holster that I've ever seen. The trigger is held in a formed plastic block that completely precludes any way for the trigger to even move a fraction of an inch while in the holster.

And, to answer the OP's question, not only is it not necessary to put your finger on the trigger to retrieve it, I think that you're less likely to do so than a plain pocket holster. It's kind of hard to explain, but as you insert your fingers to draw the pistol they sort of cause it to 'pop' free from the trigger block as you make the draw. My trigger finger comes out indexed along the frame just fine without thinking about it and without coming anywhere near the trigger.

My basis for these statements is a Ruger LCP sometimes carried in a Recluse (front pocket) and sometimes in an Uncle George (rear pocket). I'm very happy with both.

I'd hate to see some unfounded beliefs get started about Recluse not securing the trigger - especially when that's the outstanding feature of the holster.

IMO it's completely safe.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I had a Recluse for my Ruger LCP it was for rear pocket and looked like a wallet, great holster. Did not care for the LCP so I sold it and got a Sig P238 which is a excellant weapon, fun to shoot and does not kick like a mule.

^^^

Great picture showing how the Recluse secures the trigger.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I have a couple of these... Pocket Holster ...and it does not print, it just looks like a bulge (and that isn't going away with any holster).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It's a slick little unit but I have enough problems without owning an open trigger holster. In fact, the Ken Null shoulder rig I use to wear, made me skitterish, so I cut it up and tossed it in the trash. Perhaps these are safe but they're not for me.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    Isn't that thing thick? It has 3 layers of leather... how well does that fit in your pants? Plus it has a flat bottom- I plan on carrying in my front pocket...
    It would not work for front pocket carry, and I don't think he makes a version for that. However, if you decide to look at back pocket, the pocketholster literally carries/prints like a wallet. I really can't tell a difference between having it back there or having my wallet back there.

I reliase the one you are looking at has that little trigger block, but the open side would still make me nervous. Just my opinion.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links